Completed Project - Stic-o's 2nd gen. radius arm/coil SAS | Page 35 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Completed Project Stic-o's 2nd gen. radius arm/coil SAS

Use this prefix for completed projects that are not "How to" articles or threads asking for help.
Well it's Finaly Time to Start this thread.

Intro
In April of 2006 I will be doing a Solid Axle Swap on my '99 Explorer XL. Through the entire prosess I will be takink pics and updateing when there is is new info. I've pretty much always known I was going to do a SAS in my truck all along. For this reason, I have never but a dime into my front axle. I just never saw the point if I was going to rip it out.

The Plan

I plan to run a High Pinion Dana 44 full width in the front. I will be using Early Bronco Coils, posiablly 5.5" lift coils. I am still unsure of what I will be using for Radius arms, as we are still in the works. I would like to do a 3 link in the front but I don't think it's possiable with the cast wedges. I will be running 5.13 gears and plan to use anywhere from a 35" tire to a 37" tire, depending what I find. In the rear, I will be going to a 86-96 full width 8.8 off a Bronco/F-150. This will give me the ability to keep my speedometer, as well as reuseing my current locker, BTF Cover, and Disc Brakes. This will also give me a 5x5.5 pattern, and width almost dead on with the front. I would also like to move the rear leaf springs to the outside of the frame with the FW 8.8 to get rid of the spring hangers under the back doors that we all get caught on.

There alot of things still unsure, and I will figure it out as I go. Unfortally only small things will be done, until late March. Lack of funds will keep me from doing much until then. The axle will be set to go in the truck in April sometime though. Now let get to the goods. Pictures :D

The Meat
12287D44.jpg

A side dish of parts

12287SAS_Parts.jpg

I can't wait for dessert :p

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey.. hey!!! Do you have the F150 tank in? If so, can you post some shots pls?

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Hey.. hey!!! Do you have the F150 tank in? If so, can you post some shots pls?

No not in yet. I need a spare sending unit out of a explorer first. Then I can get that all to fit in the tank first. I have the one from the f-series, but not sure if it will work. I need to compare them. I've been more worried about getting the sas working right first. Still have a few issues to work out. Like my rear shocks :rolleyes:

My next thing is to install e-track in the cargo floor. Then I can tie down stuff right.;)

No not in yet. I need a spare sending unit out of a explorer first. Then I can get that all to fit in the tank first. I have the one from the f-series, but not sure if it will work. I need to compare them. I've been more worried about getting the sas working right first. Still have a few issues to work out. Like my rear shocks :rolleyes:
Gotcha -- thanks! :D

No not in yet. I need a spare sending unit out of a explorer first. Then I can get that all to fit in the tank first.
I've got a used fuel pump/sending unit if you want. That way you can figure out all the bugs of this swap for us. ;)

I've got a used fuel pump/sending unit if you want. That way you can figure out all the bugs of this swap for us. ;)

That would be great help Jefe! :thumbsup: Bring it out fot t-day if you don't mind:D

Great write up there... Lots of pix's :thumbsup:
I'll be doing mine soon (I hope) just collecting parts right now...
Was going to do a D30 swap but looking at your full width axles under yours it looks good...
It's been a while now how is everything working???
Did you sleve the steering box bolts or just box the whole thing in???
Cheers Randy...

Hey Stic, what's the deal with the F150 tank. You ever figure out the pump part of it?

Yeah I think I may be able to get a factory pump to work, Jefe gave a extra one to play with. I think I need to use a 1st gen pump though. I'll probally start play'n with it soon. I have to smog the truck after the first of the year, which I've been holding off till then to do.;)

So almost 2 years after my SAS, today we noticed stress cracks on the welds at the back of the driverside bucket. Luckly we caught them before we hit the trail and had a bigger problem;)

So almost 2 years after my SAS, today we noticed stress cracks on the welds at the back of the driverside bucket. Luckly we caught them before we hit the trail and had a bigger problem;)

When going to weld we discover these were not cracks, but just parts that had very, very poor welds. Let's just say that never really got welded.:rolleyes: Well it is now:D

What was the problem you were supposed to work out with your rear shocks? Im thinking about mounting mine in the same way as yours and im wondering what the deal was... tire rub on the stuffed side maybe?

tire rub on the shock. they still do a bit. it is more stable I think, but less articulation, I think too. They are also straight up and down. Not sure I would do it the same, and may change in the future. It works for now though:rolleyes:

I just want to say after spending quite some ti me reading this whole thread, I want to say great work, but i have pic request and question I may have missed, I see your using a Gen 1 Steering box, but what did you do for the lines to the steering box, from the pump? Ay pics of your lines and the pump would be great. Thanx

they arr just first gen lines. the pumps are the same
Posted via Mobile Device

What engine do you have, Im working on using a 99 Explorer SOHC 4.0 and im not seeing how it would work.

I think the SOHC pump may be different, I know it looked a different on the wife old Sport. She had the SOHC.

That is correct, the SOHC uses the Saginaw TC series derivative pump where as the OHV uses the P series pump (which is I think the same as the v8's).

On the right with the siver pulley is the TC pump from the SOHC (ignore the one on the left, thats from a Chevy sedan)
pumps_lumina_sohc.jpg

But I would think that the high pressure fititng is still the same on both sides (pump and rack/gearbox)

Back