Cheap Lowering for 3rd Gen 2" or so? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cheap Lowering for 3rd Gen 2" or so?

30215790011_large.jpg

Off topic I know.... But I like the roof rack
seems it might be a stainless or ABS cover?
maybe just painted? The aviator have a chrome section but the ends are black.
I like it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't remember the offset measurement on these wheels, but they have been on my truck for almost 3 years. The outside face of my rim/tire lines up perfectly flush with the top of the wheel well. I wouldn't move them a millimeter in either direction.

The offset is not affecting anything on my truck. When I said that the fender touches the tire, I'm talking about the truck itself actually squatting down and sitting on top of the tire. It's not something that most people will experience, but I have less than two inches between the top of my tire and the lip of my fender, due to the springs settling over time, and the extremely heavy box/subs I have in back. It is more prone to happen when I have passengers in the rear, too. It's only happened 3 or 4 times in the past year or so, thankfully. If it were a regular issue I would have to change something.[/QUOTE]

same thing happened on my charger until i rolled my fenders

255/30/24

I've had 255/30/24 for over a year, in fort wayne indiana, pothole around every corner. No damage to the rims whatsoever.

My buddy has 25 series on his 24's on his 300c, had them a year, no damage with indianapolis potholes.

You know.. 3 years ago 35 series was "DANGEROUSLY" small.

7 years ago when the pirelli 265/35/22 came out, I put them on my 1995, they told me 35 series was WAY too dangerous, but they'd sell them to me. 3 years, one dent from a pothole a foot deep, and a foot wide in Indianapolis.

To each his own. 265/35 was too low profile for my taste. It rides better and even looks better now with the 285/35s. I could never imagine going with a 255/30 or smaller.

Off topic I know.... But I like the roof rack
seems it might be a stainless or ABS cover?
maybe just painted? The aviator have a chrome section but the ends are black.
I like it.

he also made the tail lights look mountaineer-ish

I'm not as "in" to chrome as I once was... Im mostly blacking out my X... my charger's got the chrome FTW

31979100005_large.jpg

31979100004_large.jpg

31979100009_large.jpg

To each his own. 265/35 was too low profile for my taste. It rides better and even looks better now with the 285/35s. I could never imagine going with a 255/30 or smaller.

yeah, to each his own. My charger isn't low enough for me but I'm not willing to sacrifice a smaller tire on those wheels. at 6200 a set, not risking it.

Even if i Damage a 24 (not likely but possible) they're 300 a piece, big deal. The Davin 22" cost 1400 a piece. (well they may be a bit cheaper now, but when I bought them 2 years back they were)

same thing happened on my charger until i rolled my fenders

I have fender moldings, so I'm not going to roll anything.
On your Charger, the wheels actually tuck, right? I like that look when it's on the ground, but at ride height, I don't think tucked looks good on SUV. I prefer the tires to sit flush with the vehicle.

I have fender moldings, so I'm not going to roll anything.
On your Charger, the wheels actually tuck, right? I like that look when it's on the ground, but at ride height, I don't think tucked looks good on SUV. I prefer the tires to sit flush with the vehicle.

They don't tuck until it drops. This happened when I had stock suspension, since I've thrown bags on it it doesn't bottom out at all (but i also rolled my fenders).

At regular ride height or close to it, no problems no tucking.

I agree on SUV's and Trucks... not sure they look good on bags.. I've seen some I like a lot.. but for the most part they just don't sit low enouhg.. and when the pickups DO sit low enough.. it just seems like they should have lifted them..

I got a few "mini truckin" friends, I respect their bags on their trucks, just not my forte. My charger sits LOW and it's not a 4wd (obviously) so I saw no reason NOT to bag it.

They don't tuck until it drops. This happened when I had stock suspension, since I've thrown bags on it it doesn't bottom out at all (but i also rolled my fenders).

At regular ride height or close to it, no problems no tucking.

I agree on SUV's and Trucks... not sure they look good on bags.. I've seen some I like a lot.. but for the most part they just don't sit low enouhg.. and when the pickups DO sit low enough.. it just seems like they should have lifted them..

I got a few "mini truckin" friends, I respect their bags on their trucks, just not my forte. My charger sits LOW and it's not a 4wd (obviously) so I saw no reason NOT to bag it.

Your Charger looks awesome!

I would love to bag my Explorer, but the only way to get it to sit really low would be to get wheels with an offset that sucks them in so they will tuck. It would probably look good slammed, but I don't want that look when riding around, and don't want to change wheels. I really love the way my wheels sit now. Sometimes I still think about bagging it to try to improve the ride quality, but I just don't think it's worth it.

Your Charger looks awesome!

I would love to bag my Explorer, but the only way to get it to sit really low would be to get wheels with an offset that sucks them in so they will tuck. It would probably look good slammed, but I don't want that look when riding around, and don't want to change wheels. I really love the way my wheels sit now. Sometimes I still think about bagging it to try to improve the ride quality, but I just don't think it's worth it.

Bagging won't improve ride quality much if at all.

And my wheels don't sit inward in my wells, as they go lower, the bags pull the wheels inward to tuck, see video for how it works (My charger bouncin around)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvJqwOo9ZiY

Thanks for the compliments!:)

Bagging won't improve ride quality much if at all.

And my wheels don't sit inward in my wells, as they go lower, the bags pull the wheels inward to tuck, see video for how it works (My charger bouncin around)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvJqwOo9ZiY

Thanks for the compliments!:)

On my Explorer, they would have to be tucked in even at ride height. With my fender moldings, the top of the wheel would have to move back like 3 inches or more by the time it went less than two inches lower than it is now. They just wouldn't clear.

The ride quality in mine is terrible. I mean really bad. I've heard that a quality air setup can ride like a dream.

On my Explorer, they would have to be tucked in even at ride height. With my fender moldings, the top of the wheel would have to move back like 3 inches or more by the time it went less than two inches lower than it is now. They just wouldn't clear.

The ride quality in mine is terrible. I mean really bad. I've heard that a quality air setup can ride like a dream.

I dont know of a higher quality air ride system than Universal Air Suspension, but I can tell you on an SUV it may ride better, but my stock suspension rode better than my bags. (on my charger) Problem with bags is they're bouncy. You can adjust the amount of air in them (completely changes how they ride)

Had it on 22's

they are from coilsprings.com

Checked the site but it just has a "request quote" link? They don't have a product catalog on site? All you do is tell them your model/how much you want to drop?

yeah i still have my 2.5 front 3.0 back for sale

but yeah hit them up better to just call

For the cheapest, but least recommended way of doing it, you could use spring clamps.
get them at autozone for about $6 a spring.

spring%20raised%20img.jpg

yeah maybe if you were in the ghetto dont do that to your spring get new ones and new shocks

Back