Damarble's 01 Sport, coil sprung HP D30 SAS, SOA, 33s, 4.56s, lockers | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Damarble's 01 Sport, coil sprung HP D30 SAS, SOA, 33s, 4.56s, lockers

Just finished the rear axle today, SOA with Aussie locker and 4.56 gears. Rear springs are shot from towing and still need to be replaced. Also I need to weld shock mounts on the axle. This will all be done after the front axle is installed. It is a HP Dana 30 with gears and a locker to be added in a few months. Front suspension will be a Y-link with XJ coils and Ballistic brackets. Steering and panhard will be stock XJ for now. Tires are 33/12.5/15 Interco Truxus M/Ts on Soft 8 wheels with stock Ford center caps.

08-07-08_2019.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I installed a lockright this weekend too, but it wouldn't release even in 2WD. All told, I drove it less than 200 yards and broke all 4 pins. Hope you have better luck, but then, I did buy mine used and had to remove 2 busted pins...

I killed a front lockright like this too. You can get replacement pins and springs. did you check the clearances in oyou carrier with a feeler gauge as they reccomemend in the installation instructions? Pm me if you need help on rebuilding it (contacts and part numbers).

My Detroit EZ locker is pretty noticable and loud, but it cost $50 (used) and it has held up on te highway and in the rough stuff with 37s. Still want an ARB, but you can't beat a lunchbox for the price.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Kirby, do you remember what the spec was on yours when you set it up? I was under the impression that when the center gap is right there is not enough room for the cams to rotate to the point the pins break.

I got lazy and didn't check the gap on mine. This is about the 6th lunchbox I've set up so I am getting good at eyeballing the gap and it looked fine.

Ii just looked for it for a half hour and I can't find the specs. It isn't on aussies or detroits website for either one.

Aussie and Lockright both have the same tolerance, between 0.145 and 0.170. Lockright further says about 0.156 is preferred. (I've got both installation manuals)

Love the thread big help gona do somthin like that to my 92 just need to find a complete axle want a complete 44 from a 70s bronco :p awsome rig btw

Got weighed today, rides at a trim 4550, truck empty except for me (200lb) 8-9 gal of gas, and my sub. Not bad I think, 4200 lb dry curb weight...

Also back to open in the rear, the Aussie was acting up too much. I already miss the extra traction just in 2wd.

So, I was wondering about your Eagle...

Funny you had the problems with the lock rights. I had 'em in my old explorer and it got over 50k with them installed. Clanked on the corners alot but never had problems. They're going the the front and rear 44s in the Jeep that I'm building now... Hope I don't have these problems. I did get the titanium pins though. Both the seller and my builder suggested them.

No the Lockright has been good to me. It's the Aussie that gave me hell, it's a common problem for the 8.8, a lot of guys can't get theirs in spec. I think Aussie goofed on the tolerances.

Maybe he means the troubles I had breaking all 4 pins in my driveway... Does that make me hardcore? Haha...

Im going to be swapping in a hp dana 30 on my sport in may...Im just wondering what have you broken since youve moved to the stonger axleshafts and u joints??
Im planning on running 4.88's, leaf springs, and 35's...Im just trying to also get an idea on how much the weight of the truck effects the dana 30...because ive got a bunch of friends with jeeps that have ran 33's through 36's without a problem...but i realize that my truck is much heavier.
Im really trying to keep myself from going to a 44 because i got the d30 for free from my buddy and its all set up for spung over and high steer. Awesome truck by the way...

Haven't broken anything else axle related up to this date.

However! My F250 shock mounts fatigued and cracked my frame from the constant up and down force! I welded up the area and added a backing plate to spread the load for now but the area will need to be plated eventually.

Also haven't figure out why it still pulls to the right while driving. It's aligned perfectly but still the pull. Might be my steering box, it's been f'd up since day one, out of a 91 and shot before I used it. I plan to replace the it sometime with a 97ish F150 box (looks like the same bolt pattern).

Upper track bar end is wasted already, ton of slop and noisy. It was just a hiem, will be going to a greaseable johnny joint or the like.

Finally make a shifter console/boot. I found some vinyl that matched pretty good and stitched it up myself. Eliminated sooo much noise! I'll post a pic of I find my USB cable. :p

i love this truck, did you ever move?

i love this truck, did you ever move?

Thanks.

Never moved, the job fell through with the rest of the economy. I've about 90% made up my mind to enlist though so we'll see what happens.

right on, i go to meps on saturday :)

Which branch guys? DO NOT accept "You'll get your school assignments at bootcamp". Whatever you are choosing, get it in writing or walk away. You don't want to be a head scrubber for 3 years, or whatever crappy detail. I'm retired Navy, please feel free to PM me if you have questions. I just might know some local folks with answers. Premier, hit me at the local list...

Leaning Air Force, hopefully a CE or something. I've only just started really doing research about a week ago, and i won't go in until June when my lease is up.

air force here as well. take the d lab tomorrow, im trying to get into intell. i scored high enough on the asvab already to do whatever i want.

Back