V8BoatBuilder's Off Road Buildup: Spring 2008 | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

V8BoatBuilder's Off Road Buildup: Spring 2008

Here are my plans for my 1997 Mountaineer V8, and the official buildup thread.

The Goal: Fitting Interco TrXus MT 33x12.5R15 with style and offroad prowess.

The Plan:
Front Suspention: Superlift 4"
Rear Suspention: SOA, stock springs, warrior shackles.
Rear Axle: Originally belonging to IZwack, it's a 1998 with 4.56 gears and SOA perches. Limited Slip.
Front Axle: 1995 Explorer, with Central Axle Disconnect. Being regeared to 4.56. Open, perhaps an Aussie Locker.

New tire mounted on rear axle:
RearTire1.jpg

New 33" TrXus MTs vs 31" BFG ATs:
Tire-Comparison01.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I bought "B" bars from Ford about three years ago, for about $45 each. They aren't bad.

so my price prolly somewhere around 20, no higher than 30.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

FYI, I don't do retail Ford parts.

I just looked online, retail is about $90. Let me get back w/a PN

do you think the trailmaster for 98-up will be the same way with the brackets?

do you think the trailmaster for 98-up will be the same way with the brackets?

Not sure... I never investigated the TrailDisaster lift, the "spindle extensions" scare the beejeebies out of me.

Not sure... I never investigated the TrailDisaster lift, the "spindle extensions" scare the beejeebies out of me.

jw because ive found the complete kit ssv shocks and all to my front door for $935

Aaron, have you ever bought parts from the few online Ford sources? There are several that I found when hunting O2 prices. They are all very close in price, and either the same as my price, or a good 15-25% lower. I have tried to get an answer from two of them, they never seem to answer the phone. The O2 sensors are the only thing right now that I will need later which I would buy online without a conversation.

I needed a 302 synchronizer for my 347, and the good Ford price was $140ish. The online sources were in the $103-$109 range. Without them answering the phone to confirm shipping dates, I called my guy and asked him to do better. I got it for $102 last Thursday, much better.

Finally had a chance to do some good work on the truck:

1) Replaced the front Supercrap shocks with some Rancho 9000x
2) Installed 90mm torsion bar bolts to level out the front
3) Had my front driveshaft lengthened & balanced

I'm working on installing a Superlift TruSpeed right now, PAC TR7 for Default OD Off, and have some 3.25 degree camber adjusters on order to replace my 1.25 degree ones.

Another great thread to read and subscribe to. Thanx again, Aaron.

Back