• Register Today It's free!

Tuning Up A New(er) Vehicle

hunterjamison

Reaction score
City, State
Sunny Central Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 XLT SOHC 4.0L
I bought my 04 XLT 4.0 in Oct 2006 at 89,400 I do not have the previous owner's service records and would like to know if anybody knows how to go about finding them? I now have 100,500 miles and realized last week I didnt change the oil in 2008!!!!!! Please do not lecture me on this- I feel horrible and very stupid about it already...To catch up on maintenance I took it to an oil change shop and flushed the engine They rec rear diff for $67 front diff for 39 and trans case for $39 I changed the plugs today with bosch platinum 2s The wires looked and felt fine? Installed air filter. I plan to change the fuel filter soon. Did the rear diff and have the fluid I need for front and t case. I used synthetic 75 140 for the back-will the oil residue in the cheapy plastic pump interfere with the 80-90 or the ATF? How do I clean it up? Any other suggested tuneups? How do I check my tranny fluid? Sheesh!

If it was done by Ford try here it is free. I created a log in andentered my vin and what work was done was in there. You can also enter the work you done for future review.

https://www.flmowner.com/servlet/Co...age/LogOnPage&BackToLogin=Owner/Page/HomePage

You might have an issue with those plugs. Some do some dont. I usually stick with OEM. See how it runs and go from there.

I take it that your model does not have a trany dip stick. You need a special tool to fill it from under. The fitting on the bottom of the pan has a stand pipe. You pump fluid in and let it drain out till it stops. That is the proper level. Some of the stang guys have developed a kit to install a dip stick but I can not find the link.

Oil wise just stick with a good brand and it needs to be 5W30. Atleast thats what my 05 is. anything thicker really kills the MPG. I use Casteroil and have for years. Dont switch back and forth between brands. It can cause sluge. Also stick with atleast the OEM filter os better (KN, Bosch, ETC) They have the anti flow back in them other do not work as good. Do a search on here and you can see the ones that have had issues. I am not a big lover of flushing. If it has trash in the engine it can break alot loose and cause issues. Where a good synthitic will remove it slowly.

The rear end service should have the friction modifer added. Its about $15 at ford. Just put it in like the oil. Some say it not needed with synthetic but I started getting a noise in mine till I added it. It went away after a couple of miles.
Hope this helps Im sure others will Q in.

Thanks for replying! Your feedback really helps!

You might have an issue with those plugs. Some do some dont. I usually stick with OEM. See how it runs and go from there.

So far so good- Quicker pickup and go Less roughness at idle...

The fitting on the bottom of the pan has a stand pipe. You pump fluid in and let it drain out till it stops. That is the proper level.

What?

I am not a big lover of flushing. If it has trash in the engine it can break alot loose and cause issues

Actually, the flush was $48 I had them use 2 bottles of oil cleaner at $13 apiece instead. I agree with your "trash" opinion. Am I better off now? I am confused about the synthetic/traditional oil comparisons and how they are not interchangeable Please Help!

The rear end service should have the friction modifer added. Its about $15 at ford

I found it for $4.99 at Autozone Same OE specifications and mixed it with the last 3/4 QT of 40w/145 syn gear oil The manual asked for 4 oz but I put in the entire 7 oz tube...

This should help for the tranny

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118654

Actually, the flush was $48 I had them use 2 bottles of oil cleaner at $13 apiece instead. I agree with your "trash" opinion. Am I better off now? I am confused about the synthetic/traditional oil comparisons and how they are not interchangeable Please Help!

No issue between SYN and regular oil. You can mix but why. SYN you can leave in longer. I use regular Casteroil GTX. I change it exery 5000. I only use this I do not buy another brand just because it is on sale. Pick what oil you like and stick with it.

Back