Cracked Bed ? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cracked Bed ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The beds are composite and only rated to carry something like 800lbs (I think) evenly distributed across the load floor. Have you been carrying anything particularly heavy lately?

Tom

i did have to replace the rear end recently and carried the extra in the bed for 4 days

If all the weight was focused in roughly one spot that could have done it. I don't know for certain if it would work, but you may be able to use a plastic resin or epoxy to seal the bed back together. It wouldn't be easy, but it may be doable.

Tom

thanks someone at work recommended some sealant but havent tryed yet the weight was diagnal across the bed

If you had the entire axle laying across the bed then most of the weight would be focused primarily at the differential, which would also be the first spot to touch the bed, which could easily be enough to crack the bed if you hit any abrupt bumps. Again, these trucks weren't designed for heavy hauling, mostly just small stuff like camping supplies and groceries, so even when I carried my dirtbike in the back I was concerned about cracking the bed. Honestly the only thing I think saved me was the tires cushioning blows from bumps.

Tom

its sad really. But if they would have put a V8 in it we would be getting the same gas mileage, better power and they would not have had to worry about weight problems.

Btw I would suggest some Epoxy. That stuff works on everything.

its sad really. But if they would have put a V8 in it we would be getting the same gas mileage, better power and they would not have had to worry about weight problems.

btw a v8 will not change the material that the bed is made of he'd still have the same problem no matter what size his engine, i think you're referring to towing capacity not the amount that can be hauled inside the bed

I'm with cross1189: that makes zero sense. Load rating is determined by variables that have little to no basis on engine selection, such as bed material, frame size, suspension components, axle strength, wheel strength, and tire load rating. Of my two 2500HD's, my '01 gas engine-equipped 2500HD is rated to haul more in the bed than my '05 diesel-equipped 2500HD, despite the diesel having the same horsepower and nearly twice the torque of the gasser. Towing on the other hand . . . ;)

I would really like to have V8 in my Sport Trac though. :D

Tom

thanks for all the help i will try epoxy sometime but its not a high priority yet im trying to trace a cel it said bank one running lean so i just replace a vacuum line and if that does not do it. then im going to replace o2 sensor

I'm with cross1189: that makes zero sense. Load rating is determined by variables that have little to no basis on engine selection, such as bed material, frame size, suspension components, axle strength, wheel strength, and tire load rating. Of my two 2500HD's, my '01 gas engine-equipped 2500HD is rated to haul more in the bed than my '05 diesel-equipped 2500HD, despite the diesel having the same horsepower and nearly twice the torque of the gasser. Towing on the other hand . . . ;)

I would really like to have V8 in my Sport Trac though. :D

Tom

Sorry should have been more clear. I meant that the Sport trac weighs too much for the V6, Ford decided to save weight by making it a plastic bed. If we would have V8's they would (maybe) have put steel beds in. :thumbsup:

Back