• Register Today It's free!

Oil Tan sludge at Filler?? Why?

tripplec

Reaction score
City, State
Bowmanville, ON Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
2009 Explorer LTD AWD
I was about to do an oil change after just under 3000km. The last oil was dino oil changed when we go this X Sport which we ran for just over 2000km. The oil level had not changed but I noticed it was quite dark on the dipstick, more so than normal. I was likely the Penzoil Full Synthetic detergents cleaning out buildup in the block. Anyway an oil and filter is the cheapest maintenance and you can never change it too often. But when I pulled the fill cap I noticed the tan sludge build-up as see in photos I hope to attach. We have had a wild ride with temp this winter going down to near -30C and up to 7 or 8 above Celcius. There has been mostly shorter runs on this with several continuous 200 or 100km runs this winter.

Having changed oils for decades some build up I have seen but not continuously nor this much. Might be the nature of this engine with moisture build-up or condensation in the engine from a number of short runs. But I am on top of it and wonder if any of you have seen this (assuming you're also changing your own oil) I had a Wix filter in as well.

Thx

PS: I seem I am not allowed to post attachments as stating in posting rules. Bummer eh... so photos in vain. Since when is an engine part X rated?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i am going with moisture condensation from the short runs as the culprit of the sludge at your filler neck. if the oil on the stick was the same color, or the level of the oil was higher than it should be i would have wondered about a coolant leak.

only elite members can upload photos to the site to attach to threads. an easier way, which is the way i still do it, is to upload your photos to a website like photobucket.com and then use the img code to attach the photo to your post.

hope this helps some,

Jack

Ha ha, my son (his X) just told be about photo bucket. I'll have him attach them tonight, he's off to work and out door now. I hope to be able to run this sync oil with the Wix filter for 5000km which is what I do in my Grand Cherokee. But being used and not nowing how often the oil was changed I like to do the first couple much earlier especially if it really dirty. Cheap protection. We'll put 600km on this weekend on the new oil so I'll check the filler cap.

Thx

Usually it is condensation from making a lot of short trips, as you suspect.

Usually it is condensation from making a lot of short trips, as you suspect.
I was figuring that. I had a garage look at it (I have an extended warranty and does not cost to look). They suggested I make sure the PCV system is working and I decided I would have them change that valve. I skipped it due to some difficulties I read about earlier. A jobber supplied them the wrong part so I am getting a FORD OEM PCV valve tomorrow that they ordered to install for me.

After driving about 25km back I let it cool for 20 minutes. I was surprised the oil was not too hot when I drained it. I did not think it had an oil coolier but I guess the aluminum block and cool 4-7 temp is enough. The oil was quite dirty as in black but otherwise fine. Fresh oil and new filter so I am ready to go again.

Happens all the time this time of year... it's nothing more than warm oil mist from the oil being slung about condensing on the cool part of the system (the plastic fill cap). It's nothing to worry about. Completely normal. Doesn't even merit an oil change.

Happens all the time this time of year... it's nothing more than warm oil mist from the oil being slung about condensing on the cool part of the system (the plastic fill cap). It's nothing to worry about. Completely normal. Doesn't even merit an oil change.

I am tripplec's son and primary owner of the vehicle, we were planning on doing an oil change today anyway when the the sludge was discovered, its been approxx 4000km since last oil change, also with full synthetic. I don't wait to long A cheap to do myself B clean whatever might have been left from previous owners as I only purchased the vehicle in the Nov. The reason for taking it to the mechanic under warrenty is just in case its a worse case situation they can't say i should have said something earlier.

I found some sludge in mine after I bought it and thought that the former owner abused it. I just did a series of early oil changes with cheep oil untill it started comming out clean then I put in some mobile 1 synthetic. It seems okay now.

Im glad to see that this is more normal than I thought.

Thanks!

I found some sludge in mine after I bought it and thought that the former owner abused it. I just did a series of early oil changes with cheep oil untill it started comming out clean then I put in some mobile 1 synthetic. It seems okay now.

Im glad to see that this is more normal than I thought.

Thanks!
We had the PCV changed. Its akward to get at at the rear of the rocker cover by the firewall. I has a heater around it. We have a Scanguage connected to the OBDII and monitoring the instant MPG for consumption are much better than before with the old PCV which appeared to be the original. I had a mechanic do it. Not work screwing up the cover for a few bucks extra. He had to order it from Ford they asked for the VIN # and he got the correct one. Part house sent the wrong one even when they got the engine code. This is a part that does not get replace often at all so its best to stick with a Ford part and be sure!!! We'll monitor it over time. There was some sludge on the old PCV as well.

Thank you! I'll be on that soon. I seen a thread on how to replace it.:thumbsup:

We now got a solid 24MPG(imperial) on the return trip this weekend. 148km & 17.4L of reg gas. I should be better once the weather warms and summer gas is in the system. I was between 4 & 7 C during the drive 97% Highway and the rest was rural county roads with highway rate of about 115km/hr Avg some long stretch at 12x or below. Worth changing that if in doubt and especially if never changed. IMO

Back