• Register Today It's free!

Tire wear

Sleb

Reaction score
City, State
MB
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 XLT
I bought 4 new old tires for the X 265/75/16s. Two of them have 95% rubber left and two have 85%. My question is do the front or rears wear faster? I want to try to even the tread wear up so I would like to put the tires with more wear on them in a position [being the front or rear] where they would wear less. I don't go of roading just city and highway driving.

p1050167copypx9.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is your X 2 or 4wd? If it's 2wd then put the tires that have more tread on them on the back to catch them up, to the tires that are worn more.

Also, you could just do a burnout and catch em up:D

The weight one the front with the engine is higher than the weight of the rear with the IRS axle. The extra weight does play a role in tire wear. When was the last time the tires were rotated? If its been 6K or more, I'd rotate them and see if it improves.

The weight one the front with the engine is higher than the weight of the rear with the IRS axle. The extra weight does play a role in tire wear. When was the last time the tires were rotated? If its been 6K or more, I'd rotate them and see if it improves.

I'm thinking if I leave the more worn out tires on the back for 10k they might catch up to the fronts and then I can start rotating them regularly.

Sleb, the rear wheels should wear faster unless there are issues with the front suspension.

Sleb, the rear wheels should wear faster unless there are issues with the front suspension.

This is what I don't get, there is more weight on the front and turning and doing 3 point turns produces heat which will make the tires wear more. The explorer is 4x4 auto but I guess in the summer time your only using power to the rear............I need someone who hasn't rotated there tires for 3 years to go and have a look at them...lol

are you saying the tires on 1 side are wore more than the other side ??

are you saying the tires on 1 side are wore more than the other side ??

No, I bought second hand tires. 2 are 95% tread left. 2 are 85% tread left. I would like to know if the front tires wear faster or if the back tires wear faster. As soon as I can work out which wears faster (front or back) I want to put the tires that are 95% tread left there. Then hopefully around 10k all 4 tires will have 80% tread left and then I can start rotating them to keep even wear.

How much tread depth? 11/32? I would put them diagonal to each other. You don't want the Front and rear drive shaft spinning at different speeds would be my thought. From my experience in a 4wd heep, the fronts will wear faster. But this has solid axle f/r.

2002 explorer excessive rear tire tread wear

hello how to i start anew post for this problem thanks

hello how to i start anew post for this problem thanks

From the forum page 2002-2005 Stock Explorers, click the button that says "New Thread" then create a title and type out your details.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 158

Back