• Register Today It's free!

leak above water pump

rocket22

Reaction score
City, State
La Grange, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer xlt 4 wd
I believe the leak of coolant is above the waterpump and am guessing the thermostat is there. Am I correct? Does anyone have a picture of this area? Is there a manual online? what is located above the waterpump and contain coolant? It is not any of the radiator hoses.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

are you absolutely sure it's not a hose? one of the bypass hoses split on mine above the water pump & you couldn't see it unless you squeezed the hose.

Either Thermostat housing/gasket or timing cover?

I am off to work, but got a better look at the possible leak location. I am thinking it is thermostat or timing cover, hoping it will be the thermostat. Is it common for the thermostat gasket to leak? This would be the easier fix of the two. Also, is it prudent to replace only the gasket or the thermostat at the same time?

I'd replace the gasket and the t-stat.

I am off to work, but got a better look at the possible leak location. I am thinking it is thermostat or timing cover, hoping it will be the thermostat. Is it common for the thermostat gasket to leak? This would be the easier fix of the two. Also, is it prudent to replace only the gasket or the thermostat at the same time?

If you do replace the gasket replace the thermo at the same time they only run about $9.00 and $0.99 for gasket at autozone. I have a similar problem, but it's the timing cover I am 99% sure.

any timing cover replacement threads here?

I will check the tstat tonight, hoping to find the leak from a worn gasket. What is the best way to clean off the remains of the tstat gasket? light sanding?

I usually just use a putty knife and caution.

Back