Hitch Mount Cargo Box | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hitch Mount Cargo Box

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Anybody here with a hitch mount cargo box?

i saw this on ebay and i'm liking it : http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

price is really inexpensive but i need more details like side view pics and underside ones too.. i dont like those that hang out soooo far off from the bumper/hitch and mounts so low that it looks ridiculous..

Looks to me like it goes out, then up to keep from hanging too low. Just a guess though......

It is fairly inexpensive..... :dunno:

87 bucks, then another 43 for shipping... borderline cheap I guess... depends how big it is. I had a cousin that had problems with one. His exhaust was too close and melted part of it. He solved the problem by lifting it about 4 inches. His ratttles something awful though. Rocking side to side in the hitch. Thunk thunk thunk around every corner. It would be a nice place to store recovery gear, jumper cables etc. Easy to get to, and not in the cab.

It would prevent you from opening the hatch....

It would prevent you from opening the hatch....

true.. although this would be used for a cross country drive as an extra storage space to put my stuff in.. will probably sell it when i get to california or if i like enough to keep, modify it so it would bend down..

size is 40" wide, 20 something tall and deep based on the spec given at the site..

i was looking to build my own but i can find any tool/storage chest that is bigger(width) than 35".. biggest one i found was from lowes at 37" wide 15" tall and costs $69...

found another seller priced at $369 :eek:.. its the same thing and the brand is steel horse automotive.. >> http://www.cafeautoparts.com/accessories/PartDetails~charAccNumber~S287702~Brand~Steel Horse.htm

87 bucks, then another 43 for shipping... borderline cheap I guess... depends how big it is. I had a cousin that had problems with one. His exhaust was too close and melted part of it. He solved the problem by lifting it about 4 inches. His ratttles something awful though. Rocking side to side in the hitch. Thunk thunk thunk around every corner. It would be a nice place to store recovery gear, jumper cables etc. Easy to get to, and not in the cab.

i think the exhaust systme on our suvs are well far enough..

tell your cousin to get an anti-rattle hitch device.. i think it's around $20..

i'm thinking the same thing.. atleast you have an extra space for gear that may potentially get dirty..

got the hitch box and had it installed but it started raining so i had to scoot inside.. the size is just right.. not too big, its not low and you cant even see it when you look behind the hatch glass.. you can open the hatch glass only.. i moved the hitch box a little bit more towards the bumber so it doesnt hang out too much.. that means i had to drill out new 5/8" holes.. the license plate needs to be relocated..

i'll post some pictures up when it stops raining..

moving to a different topic, by cargo space will be loaded with moderately heavy stuff along with the cargo carrier on top and on the hitch.. do i need to install helper springs? i dont know the exact weight of all the things i will be bringing.. anybody that has them?

Thanks!

Back