Dreamr's City Car Registry | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dreamr's City Car Registry

6 months later - god I am a lazy ******* or just overworked and underpaid - all you get is a picture though :) want to know what is under that new blue paint? gotta ask and I might whisper it in your ear -

if the wife hears though I may get gelded.

few more weeks ( another paycheck) and it'll be back on the streets. About time the X needs some TLC desperately

000_1140.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are you hiding 45 more cubic inches under the blue paint??

Looks very nice!

Whaaat?

Oh, man!!! That totally sucks!!!

I may have friends in this battle, but still I need an engine. I am currently looking into a well known builder out here to see if we can work out a deal. Reality is I am broke though - Maybe I need to find a rolled v8 explorer lol.

My buddy has my old 96 engine in his car, added an E cam, roller rockers, pulleys, cai, smog delete, AC delete, Off road X and shorties and just pulled 258 RWHP. He runs mid 14's granny shifting it.

A bit of an update on the car - #### the old engine we don;t need to talk about that yet.

As stated above it currently has a stock 302 bottom end in it to keep it mobile. Unfortunately the rings are shot and the rear main is leaky. Worked for purposes of getting it out of the garage while repairing the Kia and Explorer though.

Tonight initiated the start of pulling that engine in preperation for the new one.

I am having AD Performance in Redmond build me a new one. Gonna cost me a lot but potentially I will recoup a bit of that cost as I deal with ...... well the subject I was told not to discuss on a public forum.

The new engine will be a Sportsman block bored .30 over
Scat forged crank
Scat 4340 forged I-beam connecting rods
ARP Capscrews
Probe forged flatop pistons
Clevite bearing
Plasma Moly rings
Blue printed and digitally balanced with billet flywheel and sfi balncer set for the new engine balance
Should be running around 10 to 1 compression

Everything attached to it is in this thread somewhere, but I will be re-using the Trick flow stage 1 cam which should actually tame its drivability a touch in the 347. This time I am having the machine shop degree the cam for me though rather than just installing it straight up. I have the funds for the build in my pocket so we should be moving forward within a week with a 3-4 week estimate on the engine build and another week or so for me to re-assemble and roughly tune it.

Come late July
Break the ***** in, dyno tune it, and go break my tranny :burnout:

HEHEHEHEHE it is in and running again. First heat cycle and oil change complete. Rings should be seated well where they are moly it does not take much.

Couple more heat cycles and another oil change and we will see what this girl can do - she already feels friskier even though timing fuel etc. are set at stock parameters.. bump that timing up a bit after break in and check my fuel ratio.... gonna be fun me hopes...

My garage is a pigsty!!!!!!!

hmm I should update this a bit. we left the evolution of my mustang with the day the stroker went in it... while I failed to post things sort of got ignored with the car as well.

Spring came however and I pulled her out of the garage to find horrible runnability - smoke - fuel consumption through the roof ......:mad:
I dinked around with it for a month and could find nothing wrong...so I took it to a shop and got made look silly :p:

My computer module got a bit too wet it appears when the heater core was replaced... all my fault too lol. Anyway new computer and of course the then neccessary SCT multi chip with a good tune... end result 397 hp 429 ft pd . The numbers are actually a little off they noted. I was not there and know nothing about the dyno used I just had the car tuned by them. first my tranny is old and is slipping a bit. I can't feel it yet but they could see it at high load. Second the guy commented on the sheet that he feels torque is actually much higher than represented but I desperately needed to re-gear the car and consider an appropriate tranny before racing it or further dyno testing. All in all though it is more than I expected. I was figuring I would be sitting close to 400 at the crank - not at the rear tire :) Honestly it is a bit scary to drive in certain traffic conditions. I need traction desperately.

Everything is all running right and I only have valve covers that will be getting touched again soooo... The car is 20 years old and though the entire chassis and engine and interior have been redone the paint is shot... badly badly shot. Overall I think I will try to do most of the body work and primer over the next year or so and try to paint it next spring or when I can afford to. With that said I am thinking of a complete color change which means a lot of color matching. I plan to stay with a very dark color so know that black and silver/grey are good accents.

All of the trim was my first go.. everything was well sanded starting at 150 grit stopping at 1500 grit then cleaned and shot with Krylon Fusion flat black ... It turned out really well actually and saved me about 700 in trim pieces the local body shop said I had to buy. I still need to do the lower door trim but thats for later.

Engine bay was also something that needed love. When the engine was out last time for 2 months I fully detailed that area of the chassis and painted everything with gloss black. Usually I would go flat, but gloss makes easy clean up. At the time I thought about hitting the whole bay but did not... Well I finally decided it did not need to match the body color and painted it... What a chore removing all the **** from the firewall and inner fenders.

I have not hit inner door and door jambs yet ---trunk for that matter, but I am pondering it as the interior is all black and grey anyway. Tough call.. either way the car will be either the color it was stock, very dark metallic purple, or midnight blue.... but that is then

Something I have been debating for a while is a wheel and tire combo. It had stock tires and rims... tires being the cheapest thing les schwabb had..In short with almost 400 horepower traction was a huge issue just trying to drive let alone play. I was holding out for 17" Pony Wheels and tires, but it's not likely I'll have 1500 to lay down anytime soon. Then opportunity knocked. So she got herself polished aluminum 16" Cobra R wheels with tires for 250 bucks :) A little cleaning up and they look great. Unfortunately the rear tires are in rough shape and the front ones though new and performance oriented are just fugly. Tires are ordered however Tire availability in 16's is slowly fading so choices were limited. I ordered BFGoodrich g-force sport tires for all 4 corners. Front will be in a 225/50/16 which is about 3/4 inch wider than stock but maintains the same diameter.... I have a reason for staying smaller which will become clear in a year or so. The back I went with the biggest tire that was available and would fit without trimming. 255/50/16 it is only a half inch taller than stock but much wider :) I was pondering trying to stuff a 295/50 under there, but don't want to fold my fenders if it does not fit perfectly.

Anyway all in all update summary is Dreamr likes toys but needs more money so they don;t take 10 years to build

IMG_0357.jpg

IMG_03541.jpg

What a hell of a month June was and July started to be....

June 4th the landlord calls to say he is selling my house ... eek he wants us out ASAP.

June 15 no luck house hunting but now he turns the pressure up

June 21 Happy Birthday / Solstice ? Father's Day. The wife totals the Kia when rear ending a parked car :rolleyes:

June 24 Sign lease on a new house with a ****ty garage

June - July 4th Moving and cleaning and fighting with the old landlord

July 1st Purchase a Focus Wagon for the wife

July 1 Mustang Tabs expire and the truck ball joint gets really bad really fast

july 5 mustang blows about 700 ppm over the emission limit at idle....

Up till now replacing balljoints...unpacking.... working.... passing emissions....I need a vacation

So emissions - what hell.... I wanted to pass without cheating and to that end started redoing all the ignition stuff and the tuning the car up etc.....

End all decisions.... just set the idle at 1080 , timing 6 degrees retarded from stock, and loosen the catback a touch..... passed like a new car:)

Geeze, I guess that's to remind you things can get pretty bad and don't take good times for granted.

Time to go salmon fishing. You, me, Trav and Z.

Ya know I have not hiked a single trail this year ...not wet a line... camped one night...

I gotta get a new career path lol - this one is worthless and pays **** while demanding my constant ability to respond :mad:

And yea **** does seem to always come all at once but we recovered quickly... did I mention that in May Zaira fell and fractured both bones in her forearm lol....awww... I should find a pic to post of the x-ray

Anyway I needed to pull a Russel moment and shine up my toys and post lots of pictures :salute:

Brenda will be undergoing many changes ... I hope... in the next few months... time for the body so I wanted to document the current state before hodge podge primer starts appearing....

Unfortunately the bright sun and the camera were not kind and show every flaw .. guess though it shows where I am at.. seats showed up far more brownish than they really are though the front covers are fading... still not sure what I want for front seats.

I really should put a sound clip of her idling for you :) whuuu whuuu whuuu whuuu whuuuu :burnout:
IMG_0378_.jpg

IMG_0361_.jpg

IMG_0371_.jpg

IMG_0369_.jpg

IMG_0365_.jpg

IMG_0367_.jpg

IMG_0368_.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So did i mention in earlier posts that I had a ****ty new garage. All in all it works....but I have to move a car out to work on it... with the front bumper almost touching the wall and the door closed I have ....

07_21_2010_6_.jpg

ehh whatever we live with the **** and make it smell good right...

So if I am posting to this thread yet again I better have something to show ehh... well honestly not a lot. However as I stated earlier it is time to start slowly working on the body over the next several months. First I guess we'll start at the nose. Note anything I change I am just going to primer...it's all getting painted one day.

Her headlights have always been nasty and yellow so it was a no brainer to replace them. I was going to go with clear corner lenses, but they are technically illegal here and this car is going to be loud in more ways than one when all done i suspect...why push my luck. All the fancy ones are ugly so simple new lights it is.....

while playing with the nose I started rectifying one of fords big moments of stupidity... every generation of mustang except the foxes carried a pony on their grill....foxes get a blue oval...lame. In 93 there was the fox cobra and low and behold they gave it a pony... I had to steal it..

The LX mustang does at least have a grille unlike the GT but I never have liked the look,, so from start to finish heres the first cosmetic change.

IMG_0360_25.jpg

07_21_2010_40_65.jpg

07_21_2010_3_.jpg

It was a little scary attacking the bumper cover with a dremel but I like it in the end.

Back