Jzop 98 xlt registry | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Jzop 98 xlt registry

ok so I have been an elite explorer I think for 2 months now give or take, and I have been meaning to make a registry but haven't had time. So without further adieu here is my ride that has been named by a couple of my town members "THE BEAST". Now after I list all my mods or lack there of I bet most of you will be wondering why it was named the beast. Well lately I have been driving around asking people there opinions on what I should do here and there on the truck, and whether or not they can help. This includes mechanics, carpenters welders, all friends that I have known most of my life. and since every time I see these people I have a different story on what I plan to do they decided to start calling it "THE BEAST". Anyway on a different note I think I am one of the youngest elite explorers on the site. Only being 18 and still a senior in high school I fell in love with off roading the day my dad and i took our 1944 WWII Willies army jeep on the trails to see what she could do. When all my buddies were getting there new lexus or BMW I went looking for a truck and found my 98 XLT in white to match... well every truck my family has ever owned in terms of color.
That's enough blabbering about my life. I guess I should move onto the never ending project that is my explorer. Bought from a cop a couple towns over for 2K, she is everything and more that I could have expected. except for the transfer case and transmission being shot when I got her. After about 2.5k later and a little patience she became road worthy again and ready to go to the trails.
I will list what mods I have currently done so far followed by some I would like to do this summer followed by A LOT of pictures.

P.S.
Go easy on me because im not that savy when it comes to car parts. Lately I have been inhaling tons of knowledge on my truck, whether it be installing new shocks to ripping out my rear end. All learned solely from this website after hours and hours of research and some great messages from the members here. I hope to gain as much knowledge as possible and one day take a trip out to truck haven because so far i haven't found anyone fun in terms of wheelin in NJ or the east coast for that matter.

Ok lets begin

INTERIOR~
-New driver side reclining seat lever
-New center console armrest cover
-Blue glow gauges with costume rocker switch
-Pioneer DEH-P6000UB head unit
-4 new Pioneer TS-D802P 2 way door speakers
-2 8" subs in a costume box (came with truck-exact specs soon)
-New ford floor mats and ford steering cover
-Costume wooden tool box built from 1/2" ply and 2/4's painted black

EXTERIOR~
-Rancho RS9000XL shocks
-SOA
-New leaf pack
-Sloped 3" PA 883 BL
-Front and rear bumpers painted black with krylon plastic paint
-Powder coated front diff cover, U-Bolts and shock mounts (courtesy of Jon AKA TURDLE)
-Left and right running boards removed/side painted with truck bed lining after some aluminum body tape
-AutoZone shackles

ENGINE~
-So far there haven't been any engine modifications but I plan to put in a new air intake probably by K&N. Not sure what else I would like to do there but im sure I will find something.

IN THE WORKS~
Nothing at the moment need $$$$$

GOING ON IN THE GARAGE NOW...
-Warrior 153 Shackles (3 week back ordered WTF...)

FOR THE FUTURE~
-So i finished my SOA and sloped body lift and put 35" Pro Comp Xterrains on to make the beast look mean. I guess the next step is the roof rack, spare full size tire, flowmaster 40 muffler, wheel spacers and some fender trimming. After I pay some bills and get a could solid weeks of work done im sure all that will be possible on a weekend but for now she looks pretty mean.

-Roof rack and spare tire mount
-Brush guard with 4 grill and 4 roof mounted PIAAs
-10,000lb tow hooks front and rear
-Flowmaster 40 exhaust with passenger side exit pipe
-Dana 44 front axle and what ever comes with that (still researching that one because I hate my front end)

well this is what she looks like

Some silly flex shots on a curb after new Rancho shocks, removal of running boards and spray painted diff rear diff cover. Oldest photo i have.
IMG00034.jpg

CopyofIMG00036.jpg

CopyofIMG00037.jpg

Copy2ofIMG00035.jpg

My attempt at a little wheelin so i can compare to whats to come.
CopyofIMG00072.jpg

IMG00071.jpg

IMG00070.jpg

IMG00075.jpg

IMG00077.jpg

IMG00079.jpg

IMG00082.jpg

IMG00083.jpg

IMG00106.jpg

WORK BEING DONE NOW
Draining rear diff, painting bumpers and grinding/welding new spring perches for SOA conversion followed by some old and new parts.
CopyofIMG00126.jpg

CopyofIMG00133.jpg

IMG00144.jpg

IMG00146.jpg

IMG00149.jpg

IMG00151.jpg

Old bumpers
IMG00134.jpg

IMG00135.jpg

IMG00136.jpg

New bumpers
IMG00137.jpg

IMG00138.jpg

IMG00139.jpg

IMG00152.jpg

Old leaf springs, U-Bolts, shock mounts and fog light mounts
IMG00154.jpg

IMG00119.jpg

IMG00120.jpg

IMG00121.jpg

IMG00122.jpg

IMG00123.jpg

New U-Bolts, shock mounts and front and rear diff covers (POWDER COATED COURTESY OF TURDLE)
whitecoversandmounts.jpg

Hopefully there will be much more to come but I would just like to thank everyone on the explorer forum for being such a big help in educating me about my truck. None of this would have been possible if all you guys weren't here to help
THANK YOU

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ouch................ sorry bout' yer tire :( keep on keepin' on

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

damn that sucks! you get her fixed today

ya shes all fixed for now. The plugs took real nice and they have been holdin. I did some serious boggin today and got stuck almost right when i got to the pine barrens lol. was tryin to show off and i high centered on my rear diff. these ruts were way bigger then i thought. luckily this mean lookin YOTA with 39" swampers ended up wanderin back and yanked me out. after that we spent about 2 hours on some trails with some mean mud holes and steep hills. ill post some pics when i get them from my friend. The only problem that i encountered was i got water in my air filter which wasn't too bad after a couple minutes of drying and i could have definitely used some tow hooks which i think i might put on this week. the new warrior shackles definitely came in handy though when i was gettin pulled out. Cant wait to go again.

ok so my warrior 153 finally got here and I wasted no time installing them. They gave the beast a little more of a rake but at this point I have decided that my next BIG project (probably happening sometime in late summer when I get some down time and some $$$$) is going to be removing or RIPPING OUT my IFS system and going solid. This should fix all my problems in terms of leveling, but also give me the X that I have been dreaming about in terms of off road performance. Anyway here are some pics of my second day of off roading fun in the pine barrens or EXIT 74 on the garden state parkway.

IMG00271.jpg

IMG00272.jpg

IMG00273.jpg

IMG00274.jpg

IMG00275.jpg

IMG00276.jpg

IMG00277.jpg

IMG00278.jpg

IMG00279.jpg

IMG00280.jpg

IMG00281.jpg

IMG00282.jpg

IMG00283.jpg

and I know I have posted a ton of pics of the beast all clean but I just love how she looks especially with all the parts turdle powder coated for me.
thanks man

after a 7 hour detailing session at my fire house.

IMG00293.jpg

IMG00295.jpg

IMG00297.jpg

IMG00296.jpg

o and before I forget, the quick story of why its bad to floor it in reverse when someone is dragging you out of a hole. Anyway, after I hydrolocked my truck I got a little trigger happy when an all steal, costume made toyota pulled me out. Ended up backing into his rig which didn't bother him, but left me with a nice little battle scar. I kinda like it because it gives the truck some character and i will always remember that trip when I look at it.
IMG00291.jpg

o and heres the hydrolocked/dirty air filter after the trip next to a spare clean one. just to give you guys an idea.
IMG00288.jpg

Back