2000 Ford Explorer Sport - Engine Noise (Youtube Video Included) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2000 Ford Explorer Sport - Engine Noise (Youtube Video Included)

quad

Reaction score
City, State
MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 EXPLORER SPORT 4X4
Hi Guys,

I have a 2000 Ford Explorer Sport. This youtube video attempts to capture the engine noise that developed 6 months ago at the onset of winter.

I stopped driving it soon after the noise started and stored the car in the garage. Now it is spring and I would like to fix the car. The engine is a 4.0l SOHC V6. It sounds like a timing chain rattle. I would appreciate any input from the experts regarding what could be the problem and the least expensive remedy.

Thank you.

Quad

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Couldn't tell from the video.... Is it the AC compressor? Turn the HVAC system to OFF and see if it stops...

It almost sounds like a plastic-ey sound... could the fan be hitting the fan shroud?

Thanks for the input. I will try this over the weekend. Anybody else have a clue?

disconnect the belt and see if the sound goes away. Also as mentioned, see if your fan is hitting anything.

disconnect the belt and see if the sound goes away. Also as mentioned, see if your fan is hitting anything.

Thanks I will try that.

Here are more input I've received:

1. Could be the plastic timing chain guides that broke.
2. Smog pump?

Could the timing chain issue be fixed with the help of an experienced mechanic friend? How much would this set me back? Are any special tools required?

I'm torn here because I've put a lot of money into the car and don't want to give up on it but at the same time have to be careful that I don't sink more into a bottomless pit.

Now that the government is considering the cash for clunkers deal I am tempted by that also but unfortunately was laid off in March so my chances of getting approved for a loan are slim even though I have good credit.

Thank you for any input.

Doesnt sound like a timing chain tensioner to me. Disconnecting the belt will only take a few minutes.

I dont think there is any special tools needed to do a timing chain swap. You should be able to do it with a mech friend. Will take awhile though so you will need another vehicle.

Unfortunately I think it is the timing chain. The noise is coming from the rear of the engine near the firewall.

Thanks for all the replies.

Thanks for the link regarding the timing tools. I took it to a shop on Gration in Roseville, Michigan that had replaced my o2 sensor, oil and oil filter 6 months ago. They think it is the timing tensioner on the passenger side that needs to be replaced.

The engine noise started about 2 weeks after they had worked on the car. The car has only 600 miles on the odometer since they worked on it because it was in storage for 6 months.

I noticed that the coollant fluids were low when I took it out of storage which means they probably never topped off any fuilds when they changed the oil. The oil filter also looked a little suspect and dirty from the angle I could manage. So I am not sure what roll they played in the engine noise. They estimate it will be a $800 - $900 job to fix but are not sure what's wrong until they open everything up.

I'd like to do this myself since I have time and a second car. I have the Haynes Manual. Any other resources I could consult? I can do the work but with my limited knowledge I would prefer not to tackle this task without precise, good step by step instructions.

Thanks for any feeback.

Back