How Difficult is it to remove a Differential Cover? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How Difficult is it to remove a Differential Cover?

jmatters

Reaction score
City, State
Raymore, Missouri
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT
I own a 2002 Explorer XLT, 4WD. My Differential is leaking fluid. The cover seems pretty jammed in there. It is difficult enough to change the diff. fluid. How hard is it to remove the differential cover while lying on my back in the garage with only minimal tools available? Do I need to remove a bunch of stuff or drop stuff?

Will just tightening the bolts stop the leak? maybe??? hopefully??? :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I own a 2002 Explorer XLT, 4WD. My Differential is leaking fluid. The cover seems pretty jammed in there. It is difficult enough to change the diff. fluid. How hard is it to remove the differential cover while lying on my back in the garage with only minimal tools available? Do I need to remove a bunch of stuff or drop stuff?

Will just tightening the bolts stop the leak? maybe??? hopefully??? :)

Hey I noticed your reply to the thread I had posted in the other day. I came across this video on youtube. This is being done on a 96 explorer but thought it might help anyway

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAiy8CN1JdE

IIRC, the 2002 still has a solid rear axle. Pulling the diff cover isn't hard BUT it can be pretty stuck on there. I use a putty knife to break if free. I also found that dropping the spare tire gives you more room to move around.

Keep in mind, I've only done it on 1st gens but the concept will be the same.

EDIT: I can't see it right now (I'm at work) but there is a diff fluid change video in this post. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=241881

Re-Edit: are talking about the front or rear diff?

~Mark

I looked too, fronts best to to siphon it out with a pump imo. Honestly i don't know how a shop will do it???? My GUESS is they drop the diff a bit to get at them bolts. Or work on from the top then the bottom either way it looked like a PIA. On my heeps it was easy as the Axle's dropped when you jacked up the frame. . . .IFS???? Rears look easy on the other hand.

IIRC, the 2002 still has a solid rear axle. Pulling the diff cover isn't hard BUT it can be pretty stuck on there. I use a putty knife to break if free. I also found that dropping the spare tire gives you more room to move around.

Keep in mind, I've only done it on 1st gens but the concept will be the same.

EDIT: I can't see it right now (I'm at work) but there is a diff fluid change video in this post. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=241881

Re-Edit: are talking about the front or rear diff?

~Mark

2002 was the first year of the IRS, you should just have to remove the bolts on the cover, and then pop it off with a putty knife. I'm not sure if there is anything in the way of it or not, but I wouldn't think there would be anything close enough to it to prevent it from coming all the way off.

rear diff cover removal

My 2002 Mountaineer has indepedent suspension, I need to remove the diff cover and remove the axles for bearing noise inspection. I have removed all bolts on the cover and it does not want to budge. I am afraid to get to aggressive with the aluminum cover.
Where can I find the instructions for disassembly?????

My 2002 Mountaineer has indepedent suspension, I need to remove the diff cover and remove the axles for bearing noise inspection. I have removed all bolts on the cover and it does not want to budge. I am afraid to get to aggressive with the aluminum cover.
Where can I find the instructions for disassembly?????

Take a blade screw driver and a hammer. Put the blade of the screw driver between the housing & cover and tap it with the hammer. This will break it lose with out dammaging it.

A wood chisel works really good too. That is what I used but I had a stamped steel diff cover.

yup its glued on with silicoln, you jsut have to pry, slowy to break the seal....

:scratch: Isn't the IRS a 3rd member style housing?

Back