DB_1's re re re...aww heck, i'm re-doing my set-up | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

DB_1's re re re...aww heck, i'm re-doing my set-up

I've reworked my front suspension a few times since doing the SAS but this time i'm going change up my front set up once and for all because it's never quite been dialed in. Currently I'm running a control arm set up just like the Rubicon Express long arm system...It's really just a fancy radius arm.

So the problem is that on the frame end of the arms i'm running 7/8" x 3/4" rod ends which have only around 17* of misalignment. I quickly run out of misalignment on the rod end on downtravel which then loosens the jamb nuts. Not exactly the best situation when off roading with all that slop. That's the only reason I have good flex is from the jam nuts loosening up...it can be better.

Current specs on the links are:

Uppers:
1.5" x .250 wall DOM tubing
3/4" heims on the link end
3/4" rubber joints on the axle end

Lowers:
1.5" x .250 wall DOM sleeved with 1.75" x .120 wall DOM
3/4" rubber bushings on axle end
7/8" x 3/4" heims on the frame end

So the plan is to also move the axle forward an inch or so to keep the tires out of the firewall but it might interfere with the engine crossmember, that will be a challenge.
I also want to lower the front an inch as well as add an inch of travel. Somehow I have to find 2 inches of space in the engine bay for the upper shock mounts to do that.
The lower control arm mounts will be spread apart a few inches to help with the heim misalignment issue.

Now, on with the goods. I've been accumulating these parts for at least a year now so time to get them on the truck:D

New specs on the control arms will be as follows:

Uppers:
1.5" x .250 wall DOM
3/4" thread hex tube inserts from Spidertrax
3/4" shank with 5/8" bolt urethane boulder bushing from Poison Spider Customs on link end
Urethane bushings from Ballistic on axle end

Lowers:
2" x .250 wall DOM tubing
1.25" thread hex tube inserts from Currie
1.25" FK heims with hi-misalignment spacers (double the misalignment of my old heims)
2 1/8" dia. x .250 wall with 5/8 bolt urethane bushings from Summit Machine on axle end
K.O.R.E. 1/4" thick link brackets on frame end
Ballistic 1/4" thick link brackets on axle end
Ruff Stuff 1/4" brackets for X-member

Here's some pics...just for giggles, last pic compares a 1.25" heim to a 3/4" heim. Makes it look...cute:p:

pic_0141.jpg

pic_0142.jpg

pic_0143.jpg

pic_0145.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...Subscribin and waiting to catch scrap parts as they are cut off....:popcorn:

Sorry to say most everything will be either reused or saved as spares. Rubber bushing end links are trash, Lower link DOM will be reused for upper links, heims will be used as spares for trac-bar. Frame brackets with attatched X-member is the only thing I won't be reusing.

....Aw thats ok....I'll still watch...:D

...If you don't mind answering, approx. how much was it for the bling in those 3 pics???

Off the top of my head, probably around $500-$600 including the 2" DOM (not shown).
Polyperformance has some real slick adjustable tube inserts that use pinch bolts instead of jam nuts. I would have bought those instead had they been available when I bought the stuff I have now. Nothing wrong with what I got except I have to buy some monster wrenches for the 1 5/8 jam nuts:eek:
Craftsman and Napa want around 65 bucks for an adjustable wrench, then I remembered everyone's favorite king of cheap store Harbor Freight has them for $10:D

Again!!! LOL!

I'll sell you some radius arms !!! LOL:p:

Again!!! LOL!

I'll sell you some radius arms !!! LOL:p:

Uhhh, pass:mattmoon:

I think your dad has enough vehicles you could slap those on:D

Cool Dave! You'll be done after the weekend??

so is it still a kind of radius arm, or are you moving to 4 link?

so is it still a kind of radius arm, or are you moving to 4 link?

Yeah, still going to be the same style set up just with beefier components and brackets slightly repositioned. I have to make new shock mounts as well to both lower the front end and get some more up travel.

Section, I'll give my self a month since there always seems to be some unforeseen problems that come up.

Time to get off here and start cuttin!

Hurry up get it done, so you can come down and with mine!

Hurry up get it done, so you can come down and with mine!

Get all your parts together first:D

I didn't get to do any cutting yet, I was busy taking measurements of everything for reference. I did get the control arms unbolted and the rubber bushings on the axle end were FUBAR:eek: I'll have to snap a pic of them tomorrow.

...I rushed home from work just to see the pictures...:popcorn:

Im in cant wait to see pics:D

I got some work done on the axle today, cut off the lower control arm tabs, shock mounts and trac-bar bracket. I'll be using a new trac-bar bracket from PolyPerformance that will give me the clearance I need to mount the lower control arm bracket on the passenger side.

Upper control arm tabs will remain until I mock up the lower arms. I'm hoping I can reuse them in the present location but it's probably wishful thinking.

I have a clean slate to work with now so I can start mocking up the brackets tomorrow.

Took some pics of the axle and FUBAR'd joints.

Axle going under the knife:
pic_0146.jpg

I don't think that's the way it's supposed to look:
pic_0149.jpg

Another angle:
pic_0150.jpg

...Do you have a picture of both the old and the new trac bar brackets???...Maybe a comparison shot...

You can see the old bracket in the pic I just posted, the large triangular piece on top of the axle. I'll snap a pic of the new bracket with the control arm bracket in place when I mock stuff up tomorrow.

Dave, where do you hide your battery? :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Found it! Thanks!
img_0671.jpg

Back