tire pressure? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

tire pressure?

rileyrs

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 ranger
what pressure should i run these at, they are 30's on 15 rims, mickey thompsons.
i do mostly around town driving, and occasional highway trip, and of course some wheeling off road, but im wondering what pressure i should run these at when just cruising around town.
im going for whatever will provide the least tire wear, and the best fuel economy.
thanks

cid__0531091848.jpg

Tire pressure is a personal preference, really. An ideal is to run tires at the maximum pressure that gives even tire wear, but that varies by tire, vehicle, load, and a lot of other things.

Some people like running tires at higher pressure for mileage and handling, some like them slightly lower for a cushy ride.

A good starting point is to have them a bit lower than the max pressure (usually something like 50 psi is max on a LT tire, so start at 40 psi), then go from there. If it rides too rough, lower the pressure 1-2 psi, try 38, 35, 32, until you get what feels right to you.
If it still feels fine at 40, you could try 42 or 45 psi and see if that still rides ok and gives more even wear over time.

You can always pump them up more for highway trips and run slightly lower pressures around town, too.

I'd say 35-45 psi is a good range, you'll have to find what works for you and what wears evenly over a few thousand miles, though.

Tire pressure is a personal preference, really. An ideal is to run tires at the maximum pressure that gives even tire wear, but that varies by tire, vehicle, load, and a lot of other things.

Some people like running tires at higher pressure for mileage and handling, some like them slightly lower for a cushy ride.

A good starting point is to have them a bit lower than the max pressure (usually something like 50 psi is max on a LT tire, so start at 40 psi), then go from there. If it rides too rough, lower the pressure 1-2 psi, try 38, 35, 32, until you get what feels right to you.
If it still feels fine at 40, you could try 42 or 45 psi and see if that still rides ok and gives more even wear over time.

You can always pump them up more for highway trips and run slightly lower pressures around town, too.

I'd say 35-45 psi is a good range, you'll have to find what works for you and what wears evenly over a few thousand miles, though.

cool, thanks, i will do that

Back