Hard Folding Tonneau Cover Opinions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hard Folding Tonneau Cover Opinions

hlong97

Reaction score
City, State
Raleigh, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Sport Trac
Hi All,

First time poster ... so please be gentle!

I recently purchased an '04 Sport Trac & I am looking for a hard folding tonneau cover. I ran across one from Advance Cover that I am considering. Does anyone have any experiences w/ this cover to share? Also, are there other brands out there that I should consider?

Thanks in advance for your input & opinion!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have seen this cover. It looks good. Also you may want to try and get the factory cover. They are always floating around www.mysporttrac.com in the swap and sell sectrion. Just do a search for a factory tonneau. I have the ARE snug flat lid and I love it. You can also check that out.

Paul

Well I checked around on the OEM Tonneau covers, and I had no idea they were so costly. I did find one on Ebay, but they were asking $350 for it used. If you want to check out Ebay there was several options on there other than factory. Good luck with your quest!

The factory top works fairly well. Biggest drawback is that it is very heavy. There are no lift assist struts, so it's all muscle.

It is very durable though, and leak free.

Removal can be done by one person, although two makes it much easier. I'm by no means a brute and take mine off by myself regularly.

I was looking at those covers as well but man, they really have jack sh*t for photos on their website.

I bought a '04 st about 7 months and it came with the hard folding tonneau cover. It is nice to have and does not leak and very rugged. Also the OEM one has locks that use the ignition key to lock it. It is very easy to remove just has some weight to it. I would deffinetly look into buying one. Especially if you are looking to lock stuff inside the bed.

Wonder if he ever bought one ............. There are several OEM lids in NC & SC for cheap on Craigslist.

Yea I wish I had one, I just have a soft aftermarket one, I like it and all, but I wish It folded in half

Wonder if he ever bought one ............. There are several OEM lids in NC & SC for cheap on Craigslist.

So if you were to buy an OEM cover you could go to the dealer and buy a lock for it that is keyed to your own keys? Anyone know how much that might cost?

OEM Cover

If you buy a used OEM cover without the keys, all you have to do is take it to a lock smith and they will change the tumblers so you can use your key. It cost me $30.00 for the pair to do. you will also need the strickers that attach to the side of the bed, about $25.00 ea you need four of them.

Thanks for the info, especially about the additional parts needed.

Anyone know who actually makes Ford's cover,I need a few parts.

do the 07 tonneau covers fit us? I found someone local who is selling one for cheap. but its a 07 and mine is a 04

I have a 2004-picked it up used several months ago with a folding tonneau cover. The tag on the cover reads Advance Cover - Grand Rapids, Michigan. I googled that name and they have a web site. (01'-06' Sport Trac (2-panel) p/n 28570). I just took it off over the weekend, all I had to do was loosen two (2) 8 mm nuts to remove. Yes, it was a little heavy(maybe 35-40 pounds, or so) but manageable to take off and cart upstairs to store for a while. The p/n for the 2007 is 28572, which leads me to believe the bed size is slightly different in that model. Take care.

Back