Long travel kit input | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Long travel kit input

if you need a mock up vehicle mine is free till jan.-feb. Maybe march of 2010. I don't have much use for it when i'm in iraq. If i could get a discount on the lift and a round about price i will take one for the team and volunteer my truck:p

got my truck with brandon from btf and he will be making a lift for these

i droped it off saturday and he said that there would be no problem making a spindle, new arms and shock mounts for these 3rd gens. The lift wil be mid travel but still wider a-arms, and more travel ...

Boys the lift will be here as soon as hes done

i will speak to him today & get progress.

That story from the pirate lab is just down right bs.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i droped it off saturday and he said that there would be no problem making a spindle, new arms and shock mounts for these 3rd gens. The lift wil be mid travel but still wider a-arms, and more travel ...

Brandon does some of the best garage fab work out there. You wont be disappointed at all. And yeah whatever you do stay away from Pirate Lab.

FYI- about 90% of us 3rd geners that off road have 4wd, and this new lift your hyped up about is for 2wd's. Just getting that across so people understand.

Good luck, it will be pretty cool to see the results:thumbsup:

FYI- about 90% of us 3rd geners that off road have 4wd, and this new lift your hyped up about is for 2wd's. Just getting that across so people understand.

just the spindle alone will give me 3-4inches with stk control arms.

he will have many options out for the explorer 3rd gen once he is done with mine 2 weeks to get the new spindle and then i will have the midtravel done a few weeks after.

That is very true. the lift spindles I'm going to build will NOT work with a 4wd. I would however like to see what we can do as far as a fabbed spindle and upper arm /bolt-in coilover combo for both the 4wd's and 2wd's.

We opted to do lift spindles w/ eric's because:
1) he eventually wants to go LT, so building an upper arm that cannot be re-used is a waste.
2) The coil spacers in there currently put the a-arms at a terrible angle and allow for zero droop travel from ride height...new uppers would help a little bit, but realistically would only yield another inch or so of droop travel.
3) the stock spindles are made from aluminum and i'm a little leery of using them on a truck that is actually going to be used hard in the dirt.

I am going to suggest for ideas for your build, check out Rize Ind. lift for Expedition. Gives 6" of lift and Expedition basically has a similar design with four wheel independent with rear axles through frame. I would love to see other options other than strut spacers or coil springs that don't give advertised lift for these trucks and the ability to do more than 2" of lift SAFELY. If the price was right, I would buy it. (as in nowhere near Rize costs)

Long travel would be a plus for me, but I just really want the LOOK. I love the way a truck looks lifted on big tires. If I could fit 35's or larger that would be awesome! My truck is more or less for show. I have had bad luck every time I ever tried off roading! Always breaking something or putting a large dent some place! Plus around me there is really no where left to go off road. Too much development.

As for Sport Tracs, they went 4 wheel independent with the 07 model.

What about the REAR suspension? Anything going for that?

EDIT: I just saw this post was 2 months old, any updates?

Back