July 10-12 Camp n' Crawl in Big Bear | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

July 10-12 Camp n' Crawl in Big Bear

Do you guys know what trails you will be doing? I will be camping that weekend and if you don't mind could I join you? Even if I don't drive the Sport-Trac?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Haven't been on in awhile and too bad I missed this trip. Got laid off and lost my email but I am employed again now and getting life back to more normal. I've been waiting to go back to Big Bear but can't do it next weekend. I'll await the pics.

i want togo buI am a little short on money for gas because I just rented a new room out. Unless someone wants to pick me up on the way. :D hehe.

Do you guys know what trails you will be doing? I will be camping that weekend and if you don't mind could I join you? Even if I don't drive the Sport-Trac?

You are more than welcome to join us with or without your sport-trac:thumbsup:
As for trails, we haven't nailed down a plan yet so i'm glad you asked.

I propose on Sat. we do Dishpan Springs then maybe White Mtn. and or another trail if it's still early. My thinking was to do Dishpan going up which means we'd have to jump on the highway going into Arrowhead then hit the trail. This way we'd be working our way back towards camp via trails and fireroads.

Sunday if enough people stick around we could do Gold mtn. and then over to John Bull. That shouldn't be too long of a day so we could get back to camp and pack up and head home.

With the Wells book I can get us to all the trails except White mtn. which isn't in the book and it's been forever since i've been there so if someone knows where it's at then feel free to add your 2 cents.
If someone has ideas to run another trail then i'm good with that too, White mtn. is the only other decent trail I can think of that's somewhat in that area...I think:p:

For those coming up for the day, how about we meet at 9:30am...probably would be best to meet somewhere in Arrowhead if we decide we are doing Dishpan Springs. Once we decide, i'll put it up in the first post of this thread.

Big Bear weather for this weekend: Saturday
Partly cloudy in the morning...becoming mostly sunny. Highs 73 to 83 above 6000 feet to 84 to 94 below 6000 feet.
Saturday Night
Mostly clear. Lows 50 to 60 above 6000 feet to 60 to 68 below 6000 feet.
Sunday
Mostly sunny. Highs 72 to 82 above 6000 feet to 85 to 95 below 6000 feet.

What's our elevation, Dave? :D

That Mike guy at Matt's was recommending swimming at Green Valley Lake, which sounds good after a day of wheeling in the heat and dust. Anybody up for that? Wonder what the water temp is?

I'm out guys....I really, really wanted to make this run, but I just can't. :( As soon as I can land a job I'm game for any trip...I just hope that is sooner then later...:rolleyes:

Enjoy, and be safe

With the Wells book I can get us to all the trails except White mtn. which isn't in the book and it's been forever since i've been there so if someone knows where it's at then feel free to add your 2 cents.
If someone has ideas to run another trail then i'm good with that too, White mtn. is the only other decent trail I can think of that's somewhat in that area...I think:p:
Sadly I don't have the GPS points for it but the west end of White Mtn. (3N17) is accessed via 4N16 which is a couple of miles north of Big Pine Flats Campground off of 3N14, and the middle as well as the east end exit at 3N16 east of Big Pine Flat. IIRC the eastern most part is still closed due to fire damage.

I know it's not the best but here's a link to our online map which should help to locate the general area http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/forestvisitormaps/sanbernardino/ . White Mtn is right in the middle of Lake Arrowhead and Big Bear just south of the desert rim.

we're not running john bull on saturday? thats what i was looking forward to.

Bill, not sure on the elevation but any temp below 100 sounds good to me:cool:

Boomer, thanks for the info:thumbsup:

R.J., the trails and the days we run them can be switched, I'm just posting up ideas.
I'll let the masses decide on the trails but we should decide pretty quick so we can set up a meeting place for those coming up for the day or you can just simply meet us at the campground.

I probably won't be able to make this one, but here's a clip from one of the best maps of the area. It has virtually all the trails, most of the common names and GPS on the edges.

white_mtn1.jpg

Big Bear West 2.1 mb

Big Bear East 1.8 mb

Colin...just let me know where to be Saturday morning. I was hoping to get up the hill EARLY...beat the heat. Though it's new, the 22RE doesn't like long climbs. I can hang out in Arrowhead until ya'll wake up as to not disturb everybody. Keep me posted.

I found another map I have of Big Bear and White mtn. could be done either first or last in conjunction with Dishpan Springs.
We wouldn't have to jump on the hwy either, everything is accessable by dirt roads to/from camp.

White mtn. looks like its almost 10 mi. of graded dusty roads to or from camp so it all depends if we want to save that for last or get it out of the way first.

Colin...just let me know where to be Saturday morning. I was hoping to get up the hill EARLY...beat the heat. Though it's new, the 22RE doesn't like long climbs. I can hang out in Arrowhead until ya'll wake up as to not disturb everybody. Keep me posted.

Depending on what trails are decided you won't have to go into Arrowhead either way.

If we run John Bull Saturday then I would suggest we meet at the Discovery Center a few miles east of Fawnskin on Hwy 18, it's real easy to find.

If we do Dishpan Springs on Saturday then meeting spot will be at our camp.

I finally got things figured out for this weekend and it looks like i have friday and half of saturday free. Anyone need someone to split a campsite friday night? And need to fill a passenger seat? I'd love to do some driving in my truck but from the looks of it my little 2wd wont make it very far. Are you guys planning to get up there early friday to do some wheeling?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

And just to confirm, campfires are allowed at this site? I'll start checking craigslist for free wood.

Back