How do I press in upper ball joint? PICTURES | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How do I press in upper ball joint? PICTURES

The Moog ball joint is the ORIGINAL BALL JOINT for the front upper control arms (02-05 ford explorers). I recently replaced my front upper control arm ball joint w/an aftermarket one, couldnt press it on, so it was welded on instead, worked like a charm! Only thing though, dont replace w/cheap aftermarket parts use good quality ones, mine needs replacing only after a couple months! This time Im going to replace the whole upper control arm w/original parts.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Upper ball joints ARE PRESSABLE!

Here is the proof!

I had to take the control arm out in order to have room to work the press.

The press on the ball joint:
IMG_0044-1.jpg

Ball joint removed:
IMG_0043-1.jpg

New ball joint:
IMG_0045-1.jpg

IMG_0046.jpg

I'll write a how to later.

I have also replaced my upper ball joints by pressing them. Just make sure when your pressing them back in that they are strait. When i did mine i think one got alittle off and it came back out so i ended up replacing that hole control arm to be on the safe side.

Thanks!

I just found out my upper ball joints need to be replaced. This was a very helpful thread. Thanks.

Hitchhikingmike, what is the part number of the new ball joint you pressed in? Thanks

Hitchhikingmike, what is the part number of the new ball joint you pressed in? Thanks

This is the part I went with: http://www.oreillyauto.com/EW3/Prod...id=1244405578169&cycleCount=938&currentPage=0.

I chose to use the Master Pro ball joints and not the Moog joints as the Moog joints were more expensive and did not offer any obvious benefits. Neither provided a grease zerk fittings on the uppers, but they did on the lowers.

Some time.... I'll get around to writing a write up probably this week... Hold on....

looks like i'll have a project when i get home. i know one had a busted boot on my upper drivers side ball joint. looks pretty easy how long did it take you. i figured 2 hours maybe to pull it off and reinstall and be done.

I had to do all four when I first got my 97. Not too hard. All this is a piece of cake compared to doing lowers on a 2wd RAM, took me two solid days.

So Again, I have a 2004 Explorer Limited 4x4 and I want to change the upper ball joints........do you need the buy the whole control arm assembly or can I purchase just the ball joints?

Read!!!!

So Again, I have a 2004 Explorer Limited 4x4 and I want to change the upper ball joints........do you need the buy the whole control arm assembly or can I purchase just the ball joints?

if you read above youll find out that YES you can just by a moog replacement ball joint, and use the old arm

Yes, ball joints by themselves are individually replaceable.

Hey guys, this is my first post here in explorer forums. So hello to all you explorer fanatics!!!
Well, I have a 02 explorer 4 door and both my upper ball joints have taken a crap. Feels and sounds like they are going to rip out of their joint, to add insult to injury, my left rear lower control arm bushing, the one that connects to the knuckle, has said goodbye as well. Bummer huh.
Well, my question was if the MOOG joint would be the only one able to fit in the OEM arm? I've seen on Rockauto.com, and they have some SPICER/RAYBESTOS Part # 5051268 for the upper ball joints. Wold you think they will fit. They are not bad in price, but for the hassle of odering them and finding out they wont go in....well, that's my delema.
Adding more to this situation, would you recommend to replace the lower bushings as well, my EXP has 87,x.. miles and counting.
As for the rear "cross axis bushing" as it is referred to...has anyone replaced such a animal? Or am I better off just getting the complete arm...? What is your opinion my fellow peeps.
Thanks.

They will fit, Rock is good at choosing parts that function correctly. I'd try em.

I just noticed mine need doing, I'll get to it soon. Too hot now.

i took the upper control arm off my 03 explorer and took it to a mechanic with a 10 ton press. he was able to remove the balljoint and install a moog one. cost me 20 bucks . no need to replace the upper control arm

I'm going to press my upper BJ's i this weekend. I'll buy the joints at Advance. They have Moog, TRW, and OE and Autopart International. Any of you guys use these? Which ones would you recommend?

-Thanks

Advance Auto Ball Joints For 2002 Explorer XLT

What about the other brands, are they Ok? TRW must be good. I want to stay away from ChiCom parts though. Thanks.

PS - Hitchhikingmike, I appreciate the great write up, makes it look easy.:salute:

What about the other brands, are they Ok? TRW must be good. I want to stay away from ChiCom parts though. Thanks.

PS - Hitchhikingmike, I appreciate the great write up, makes it look easy.:salute:

I like to stay as close to OEM as possible with parts like that....Ford uses Moog upper ball joints in their 3rd gen applications. I have no idea about any other brand for this particular situation, maybe someone else will chime in.

I am looking to do both of my upper ball joints this weekend....will be using this thread to help me along!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back