• Register Today It's free!

Dirt bike(s) in the bed?

TipsyMcStagger

Reaction score
City, State
FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1963 Rambler Classic
Would like feedback from those with experience hauling a thumper (or two) in the Sport-Trac's bed...if it's even possible.

Would appreciate pics too.

TIA.

Tipsy

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey Tipsy,
I have an 08 and have hauled my last 3 ds bikes, a 2004 KLR 650, a DRZ400 and a Husky te450. All fit with the tire on the klr650 being closest to the edge of the tail gate but not in danger of falling off. You should be fine. You can probably fit 2 but they might bang around a little.

Hey Tipsy,
I have an 08 and have hauled my last 3 ds bikes, a 2004 KLR 650, a DRZ400 and a Husky te450. All fit with the tire on the klr650 being closest to the edge of the tail gate but not in danger of falling off. You should be fine. You can probably fit 2 but they might bang around a little.
Good to know fencelizard. Thanks!

Those are exactly the size bikes I'm talking about. I just sold a DRZ400 in favor of a KTM 450 EXC and my buddy has a TE450.

What are you doing for tie downs? Do your rear tires rest solely on the tailgate or do you place some kind of board or rail underneath?

Tipsy

I use 4 ratcheting tie downs to the inner bed cleats for 1 bike. Tires are on the tailgate with a few inches to spare. The lip on the ramp will be under your tire but I just yank it out. I have trailered 2 bikes with one in the bed. I just onload the trailer first then put the ramp from bed to trailer without unhitching the trialer. Works well.

I use 4 ratcheting tie downs to the inner bed cleats for 1 bike. Tires are on the tailgate with a few inches to spare. The lip on the ramp will be under your tire but I just yank it out. I have trailered 2 bikes with one in the bed. I just onload the trailer first then put the ramp from bed to trailer without unhitching the trailer. Works well.
Excellent info...thanks!

If it's not too much trouble, please snap a pic or two the next time you load the bike(s) in the bed.

Tipsy

I've hauled my 420lb streetbike ~ 200miles before, using the ST bed. No rail under the tires. Just centered it up, Ratcheted it down to the tie-downs IN the bed. Grabbed onto the Handlebars in front to compress the front forks. Then tied to the Pass Peg / Exhaust hangers in the rear, to the Rear tie-downs.

I always back up Ratcheting tie downs with standard, non-ratcheting tie downs. The Ratchets are good for getting things into place and secured initially, but I do not trust them for anything beyond that. On the last trip the ratcheting ties loosened up a little with just the wind making them resonate, add in some road vibration and you'll be having a pretty bad day when the bike falls over in the back of the bed :D

It may not be an issue with dirt bikes though, long travel suspensions and light weight might make them a little more tolerant to tie-down movement.

Good luck.

Thinking about trading up from my 01 Explorer Sport to a newer Sport Trac. I'm so glad I would be able to fit my YZ250F in there. Thanks, this post helped me out too.:thumbsup:

Sort of an older thread but i do have pictures. I have hauled a honda crf250x with a yamaha wr250 at the same time, no problems at all. All i do is two tie downs in the front and call it good, no problems yet.

Bikeintruck.jpg

Back