I have a question about a blown head gasket. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I have a question about a blown head gasket.

CasyKC

Reaction score
City, State
angle inlet, mn
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 explorer sport 2dr
im very new and im just wondering if this is where i can ask a question and get an answer..............if so im wondering if my 1991 explorer 2dr with a 4.0 liter engine is worth fixing up. its biggest problem is a blown head gasket

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Worth is a relative question.

You'd have to make a list of what you'd need to do in order to fix up according to what you want to do with it, and figure out if the cost of doing so is worth it to you.

In general, the earlier Explorers make great on/off road rides, and are also excellent for modifying for off-road use. The 4.0L OHV engine is quite reliable, and can last 200,000-300,000 miles or more with regular service.

If you could use something like a SUV for cargo, towing capacity, or some use that a pickup or car isn't better suited for, it's an excellent choice. The only real penalties are the 17-25 MPG you'll get vs. a more economical car. If an SUV fits the bill better, the Explorer is probably worth it.

im very new and im just wondering if this is where i can ask a question and get an answer..............if so im wondering if my 1991 explorer 2dr with a 4.0 liter engine is worth fixing up. its biggest problem is a blown head gasket

I've seen 91-94's going for under $600 atleast a couple times a month in my area. They all need work done but the question you have to ask yourself is if the body, interior and suspension are in good shape. If your dealing with rust eating away the frame then it's time to look into a cheap 2nd gen replacement.

With a little work you could find a 95-01 that needs a new motor. pick up a replacement motor, rebuild it and install for under $1k-1.5k.

I just replaced both head gaskets on my 93 and it cost me about 400 bucks, that includes getting the heads magnafluxed, decked and checked for cracks full top end gasket kit

the biggest cost will be head bolts.. unless you find out your current heads are cracked (get them fluxed and pressure tested).. at which point you add $500-$600 for a set of heads..

If you can get the exhaust off the heads, its not that hard of a job. I'd say remembering where things go and getting the exhaust off are the hardest parts.

~Mark

Will you be doing the Labor yourself?

That's a huge savings right there.
The transmissions are very weak on these '91-'94's. We use our 'X' for nothing more than basic transportation and I've had work done on the trani 4 times in 322000 miles. I hate that part about these little trucks. Every road trip, it's in the back of my mind whether the trani will make it.

i can do most of the work myself id be happy to buy any special tools but the explorer is on its second 4.0 liter and i wish i could do some sort of engine trans swap i have a 97 mercury grand marquis engine and trans what type of transfer case is in the explorer and should i try and upgrade that as well

the explorer is on its second 4.0 liter and i wish i could do some sort of engine trans swap i have a 97 mercury grand marquis engine and trans

You can probably make it work, though the V8 from an Explorer is more of a drop-in with all the stuff on it already made to fit in the engine bay.

There's plenty of info on swapping a V8 into an Explorer, with fantastic results. Definitely the way to go if the stock setup isn't doing it for you.

Back