Oil leak, I dont know where to start... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Oil leak, I dont know where to start...

blksprk

Reaction score
First off, its a 94 Ford Explorer Limited, 214,000 miles. It is burning oil, I did the oil change about 500 miles ago, and the oil level is just the bottom 1/4 inch of the dipstick, engine off, started for about a minute without thinking. I have a ticking constantly, faster with engine RPMs, though that may be a loose rocker, and such it will be posted in another thread. I do have a good puff of thin white smoke when I start the car MOST of the time. The oil change consisted of 5 quarts of 20W-50 (higher viscosity used to slow the leak) and 1 quart of Lucas Oil Stabalizer. I have no idea where to start looking for the leak, any suggestions as to COMMON places where leaks develope in this car?

Cheers!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i would do a realy good visual inspection for leaks top,bottom and sides of thr motor. if none are seen i would do a compression test to the cylinders. motor does have alot of mile on it so the ring could be worn. then do the coolant system pressure test for the hell of it. maybe its a gasket and leaking internaly.

There is a SMALL leak, like when I crawl under for an oil change, there is oil on the outside of the oil pan, but there has NEVER been a puddle under the car when parked, I routinely check. As for coolant, that leaks, it used to leak into the oil, used Blue Devil, no more coolant in the oil, now I think its from the heater H pipe. What gaskets on this car leak the most?

i dont know which gaskets leak most but you do have over 200k on the car so everything is fair game. check you valve covers gaskets, oil pan gasket, head gasket, maybe you double gasketed your oil filter
sometime the old o-ring on the old filter will stick to the car and you wont know it and you will put the new filter on then it will leak out between the 2 o-rings on the filter

i dont know which gaskets leak most but you do have over 200k on the car so everything is fair game. check you valve covers gaskets, oil pan gasket, head gasket, maybe you double gasketed your oil filter
sometime the old o-ring on the old filter will stick to the car and you wont know it and you will put the new filter on then it will leak out between the 2 o-rings on the filter

How hard is it to remove the valve cover on this beast, I know I want to check the rockers torque anyways and that would be a good combo job. As for the head gasket, is there an easy way to differentiate between a leaking ring and the gasket? Might as well just take a week and rip the top of the engine off and replace EVERY FREAKING gasket.

its never removing the valve covers that is hard its getting to them that is the worst.if its in the way then move it/ remove it. there is only like6-8 bolt per cover so thats easy. as for the headgasket vs rings i dont really know. but if you do a compression test and find a weak cylinder then you know what side to look at closer. do gaskets in pairs no separtly

It's hard to get oil in your coolant without getting coolant in your oil. If your oil looks like mayonnaise then its got coolant in it. Chances are that's a bad head gasket. A mechanic in a can only works for a temporary fix it's sure to come back maybe even worse next time.

Hate to say it but that motor sounds tired. Tapping lifters, leaking/burning oil/coolant sounds like it's time to replace it or rebuild it.

any motor can sound tired after 200k but its the maintence that will get it another 200k. ive had customers with trucks with nearly 400k and they run better than the ones with 100k. the key is to maintain it very well. if you beat the crap out of it it just gonna eat money. fix stuff before it breaks not a year after it breaks. it could be worn lifters if so then replace them with the rest of the parts. you dont know you could go another 50k before it dies. im the type of mechanic who fixes not replaces everything until you hit the right spot cause thats alot of money in the end

You mentioned smoke on start up. Sounds like oil or water. Not sure that water would make smoke/steam on startup. One option is to just keep putting oil in it and driving it. I'd get away from the odd weight oils and just go with a 10W30 in the summer, 5W30 in the winter.

I have a oil leak i put a new oil pan seal but the oil leak comes from the top of oil pan can any help whit tha thank you

Back