Return from the Colorado Colors Run 09 - Ouray: Pics, Video and Reports | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Return from the Colorado Colors Run 09 - Ouray: Pics, Video and Reports

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I took Tincup after a misadventure in trying to catch up with everybody on the way home. It is much worse than it used to be (ran it 3 or 4 times in the past) I ran low range 1st gear the whole way and sometimes that was too fast. It had big Rocks and lots of them.

Wow Tin Cup must have changed a bunch in the last 3-4 weeks... It was a walk in the park for me 1st week of August- Even old tin cup was easy. Trails do change though. Sounds like you had fun!! I'll be camping at St. Elmo again 2nd week of August next year. Looking forward to it.

Yesterday Sheri and I took the Phantom Canyon road from Victor, to Canyon City. If you ever get a chance this is a very neat road, and a nice smooth wrap up for the return trip back east. The scenery is spectacular.

We are in a motel in Las Animas now. I am a physical wreck, and can hardly move. 12 more hours or so should get us home. I will have my pictures up as soon as we return.

By the way--where are the videos?

That is a pretty drive. Did ya gamble? Is the Moley Kathreen still doing mine tours? Been a long time since I was there. I'm leaving the house and plan to camp south of Cannon City or Coaldale tonight. If anyone is still out that way and wants to do something. Looks like I'll have most of tomorrow free as the group from Denver won't leave till noon or after.

I'll have the air card on and check in when I stop for gas, ect..

Man--it just hit me,

Sheri and I completed 4 trails, broke and fixed the truck 2 times, and still made it to our motel room all in a day. Not bad for starting out at 1:00 pm huh?

Yeah, sometimes we push our luck seeking adventure to explore, but I had a strong urge to get to the roots of our site name. We needed a serious exploration.

I know it set a bad example to go out wheeling alone, however there was a little traffic. During the first breakdown I was able to pull into a visible campsite. We were offered aid there. As far as the Hancock pass trail, we were the only idiots on it at all that day.
About 200 yards before the trail head, we met a jeeper, who said we should be able to make the trail if we just took our time. He was right.:)
I will say, it was a scary feeling being on that road, all alone, and broke. Looking up the road it was almost a feeling of despair wondering if it would just break again in a few minutes. That trail is wicked.
Now that we are safe, I get a warm feeling of accomplishment. :D

The 2 times we broke were due to my mistakes. We should have had a easier time of it. Even though replacing an cv axle is an easy job, the trail makes it a bit more challenging. It's only 5 lug nuts, a pinch bolt and a hub nut after all---

Man--it just hit me,

Sheri and I completed 4 trails, broke and fixed the truck 2 times, and still made it to our motel room all in a day. Not bad for starting out at 1:00 pm huh?

Yeah, sometimes we push our luck seeking adventure to explore, but I had a strong urge to get to the roots of our site name. We needed a serious exploration.

I know it set a bad example to go out wheeling alone, however there was a little traffic. During the first breakdown I was able to pull into a visible campsite. We were offered aid there. As far as the Hancock pass trail, we were the only idiots on it at all that day.
About 200 yards before the trail head, we met a jeeper, who said we should be able to make the trail if we just took our time. He was right.:)
I will say, it was a scary feeling being on that road, all alone, and broke. Looking up the road it was almost a feeling of despair wondering if it would just break again in a few minutes. That trail is wicked.
Now that we are safe, I get a warm feeling of accomplishment. :D

The 2 times we broke were due to my mistakes. We should have had a easier time of it. Even though replacing an cv axle is an easy job, the trail makes it a bit more challenging. It's only 5 lug nuts, a pinch bolt and a hub nut after all---

you told me your self on the drive up that it was better to travel in a group, that if some thing happened that way we had enough tool's and parts to build a rig. so did you go against your own advise john, i'm just glad you and sheri made it out in one piece and rest up it's a long drive home. if you have any problems just call i'll bring the ex and dolly!!! and pic's of the carnage

I like that picture, too!

That one step was interesting - I went way left, and came down real easy. Those that weren't as far to the left had a fun time when the left front dropped off the rock! (Just ask bronco2guy!)

...I know the spot...I too went way left but, it still has that un-nerving feeling when you are that close to the edge and you are dropping that left tire..:eek:..

...As you drop that tire you wonder ...:scratch:...Did I go a little to far left...:D

looks like everyone had a great! time wish we could have made it but the $$$ just wasn't there this year CCR10 here we come lol

I finally got our pictures up, they are mixed up in a weird order due to getting timed out a few times-

http://s239.photobucket.com/albums/ff269/jtsmith1362/Colorado 2009/

9-11-2009037.jpg

9-11-2009036.jpg

9-11-2009051.jpg

9-11-2009056.jpg

9-11-2009112.jpg

9-11-2009121-1.jpg

9-11-2009159-1.jpg

9-11-2009170-1.jpg

Looks like the coilover shaft is bent in this picture, is it? Maybe thats where the camber problem is?

Brian I think the whole rear section of the lift box is tweaked over to the passenger side a tad.

Oh, before pulling out of Montrose, Gman, 88coming up and pwhite helped while I re adjusted the camber shims which had drifted all the way out--I think this is the camber issue you all saw.

The spring does look weird. The shock looks bent in the picture--I will have to tear it all down and check it out. Larger springs are definitely in the plans anyway

Carnage report:

Driving up through the CO Mountains along HWY 50 & 24, I think I roasted the transmission.

Have some audible noise coming from the rear differential as well. Have to dissect & inspect still.

2 Bent rear frame rails where tow hooks are connected, (easily fixed).

Plans are being made to ditch the stock auto trans,& 4405 electric T-case.

M50D-R1 4x4 & 1354 manual swapped in their place. Looking for a rolled donor EX for the swap! Keep an eye out for me guys, thanks!

...Now his thread is perking up...I like carnage reports...:popcorn:

-My explorers- Carnage report is only limited to replacing starter and fixing a high idle problem that started when we got back home. But for now it will be sitting and resting until the next adventure which i think might taste like a Smore. But b2 is Jealous and might start kicking dents in the explorer if i dont go thrash it a little so will see.

What happened to the v8 swap this winter?

After some thinking & discussion, the 4 slow is staying till it blows up. It will get the Delta push rods and lifters, & a new oil pump this winter.

I know a certain Moderator looking for an engine though :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...Now his thread is perking up...I like carnage reports...:popcorn:

My carnage consists of a blown headlight, dash light (the 4x4 indicator) and an AutoMeter gauge bulb.

I did notice tonight that my rear pinon seal appears to be leaking...

Back