Return from the Colorado Colors Run 09 - Ouray: Pics, Video and Reports | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Return from the Colorado Colors Run 09 - Ouray: Pics, Video and Reports

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had my t-case shift motor go out on day 1 at MOAB. But I went to Oreilley's autoparts, and got a lifetime motor for $71.99

My carnage consisted of a failed u-joint in the front cv. The joint actually failed on Friday, but thanks to Greg letting me use his grease gun I just filled it with grease so I wouldn't have to listen to it squeek and ran it the rest of the weekend. I also had the high perssure P/S line come loose on Saturday (quick fix and refill and it was good to go). Then sometime early Sunday the tach failed :( and later had problems with the engine loading up (turned out to be a plug wire that got burned by the header).

...Now it's really starting to sound like you guys had fun on your trip...For a while there I almost thought that you guys took the tourist routes...:D

...I really do wish I could have made it but along with the others, I hope and plan on making next years trip...;)

OK,
The Front suspension box on the Mounty is tweaked , I am not sure what the deal is but it seems the rear lower control arm drop brackets have been smacked over to the passenger side. I have crawled under quite a few times trying to get a handle on it but that is what I have come up with. It would seem the bolt in cross brace has no lateral control, due to it's design.

However, because of it's design I may be able to straighten it back out. I then plan on purchasing weld in support bars to help the side to side stability--

I'll get some pictures up in a bit, since I am feeling more banged up than the truck is and cannot sleep. Yes, real body carnage also. ohhh my

. It will be a few days yet before I even have a desire to wrench it out. Be warned, the pictures you are about to see will make you cringe. :(

Something like that with "trac bars" to the trans cross member also.

OK
Notice the angle on the driver side front shock mount

carnage004.jpg

Here is the passenger side. Sorry for the limited view but the angle perspective should be there for you

carnage012.jpg

it looks as if the driver lower control arm is a bit " rearward " of it's desired spot to me-
here is the driver bottom shock mount--no apparent damage or movement

carnage005.jpg

this was a straight skid plate--2 weeks ago

carnage002.jpg

The bottom rear skid plate bolts said " no bueno"

carnage006.jpg

Oh yeah--my pinion seal seemed to have leaked under stress and stopped--hmm

carnage008.jpg

also--the angle of the lower control arm drop brackets seems to be a bit to the right

Next picture
these are brand new lower control arms and bushng--ball joints 2 weeks ago.

The orientation of the bolt and bushing bugs me in this--the passenger side picture. the bushing seems off center as if the bolt is broken

carnage011.jpg

compared to the driver side

carnage009.jpg

Maybe I am seeing things. I know when accelerating the truck does not pull up straight at the nose--rather is pulls up to the right--:crazy:

A lot of the trouble I can also attribute to too weak of spring rate in the front coilover-
these are 12" 800 lb. I think 14" 900 lb are needed. The springs were letting us drag way too much

...Now it's really starting to sound like you guys had fun on your trip...For a while there I almost thought that you guys took the tourist routes...:D

I thought Black Bear Pass was a tourist route????:p:

13 State Tour

Wow – what a trip! Colorado was beautiful as always, and the folks from this forum were great to wheel with – again, as always.

Coming from Georgia, I took the northern route (I-70) going, and the southern route (I-40) returning home. In all, I passed through 13 states!

The initial plan was to meet my Dad in Leadville for several days of exploring. At the last minute, my Mom decided to join Dad on the trip (they live in SoCal.) Seeing as she rides horses (and has ridden an elephant!) we figured wheelin’ would be enjoyable to her. Well – not so much. Her response – “it’s bumpy.” At least there were touristy things for her to do during the day.

Dad and I ran Hagerman Pass out of Leadville – nothing very technical, but fantastic scenery. Actually, we ended up running it in both directions – once to the top and down the backside, we realized going through Basalt and Aspen to get back to Leadville would probably take another 2+ hours! Back over the pass would be about an hour. Given the hour, we decided to go back over the pass. Turned out to be another good drive, as we had new/different views of the surrounding area.

The next day, all three of us toured the History of Mining Museum in Leadville, the Matchless Mine, and the 20 square mile mining district east of Leadville. Very interesting.

The three days of the CCR were absolutely awesome! I had been on most of the trails before (not Black Bear Pass) – 9 years ago at the last CRR I attended. Either the trails have changed some or my memory is fading, so it was like they were “new” trails.

Animas Forks is one of my favorite ghost towns. The first time I was there was in 1991 (wow – I must be getting old!) I think there are fewer buildings standing now – I am glad someone is trying to preserve the ones that are remaining. This was also the first time I saw the stamp mill (the huge structure we stopped at right before town.)

Black Bear Pass was something else – I never realized how much I like “reverse”! 3, 5 and 7 point turns – but I made it! (I’m still waiting to see the video – Gregg!)

The Alpine Loop is always a beautiful ride. I first ran this in 1991 as well.

Sightings - during my week in Colorado, I saw 4 Sportmobiles and 1 Adventure Trailer.

Carnage – 1 headlight bulb, 4x4 indicator bulb in dash, AutoMeter gauge bulb on A-pillar. Once home, the rear pinion seal started leaking. (The rear end has a little over 130K miles on it.) I fixed the headlight in the parts store parking lot in Durango. The other bulbs are going to have to wait – tearing into the dash takes some time. As for the leak – I think I will rebuild the rear end.

This trip was over 3900 miles – bringing the total mileage on my truck to 309,000. (Original engine and automatic transmission, BTW) That would now be 7 cross-country trips in this truck! (I’m glad I have new seats in it!)

One other thing I did was stop at several Forest Service offices in the areas I traveled in. I was able to speak with several Rangers, learning about the area (maybe getting some “insider information”) – what to see, what to do, how the area is changing. I also acquired new Forest Service Maps. All this makes it easier to plan my next trip.

To those who were unable to attend this year – you were missed, and you missed a great time. To those who were not sure – you need to make this run. Doesn’t matter where you live – the drive is worth it. This country has so much to offer, and Colorado is one of those gems. A cross-country road trip is such a great experience – see how others live, eat local food, do touristy things.

It was great meeting and wheeling with everyone. Brian, great job as our tour guide! Good seeing you and your Dad again. Everyone else – nice putting a face with a name.

‘Til next year…

(I’m still waiting to see the video – Gregg!)

Sorry, the roof cam video is very large. It needs to be chopped and encoded still before it can be posted. It will be a while longer till it can be posted up.

I do have a couple of random smaller vid's I am working on uploading to my photo bucket account. There is a couple of curse words in a couple of them, so careful with the volume. I will have them up in a bit.

Sorry, the roof cam video is very large. It needs to be chopped and encoded still before it can be posted. It will be a while longer till it can be posted up.

I do have a couple of random smaller vid's I am working on uploading to my photo bucket account. There is a couple of curse words in a couple of them, so careful with the volume. I will have them up in a bit.

Damm, did I get excited and loose control again, shoot.

could be me so I apologize in advance. ooops

Damm, did I get excited and loose control again, shoot.

could be me so I apologize in advance. ooops

That was rather exciting - I wouldn't worry about it!

Jon, do you think the a-arm/subframe movement was from the parking lot incident or do you think it happened on the trails? That shock angle really tells it.

Well I have crawled around under my Explorer when I changed the oil and fuel filter last week and didn't see anything out of order so I don't have any carnage to report. Sorry to disappoint Tbars :p:

Nice writeup Scott, it was good seeing and wheeling with you again. That adventure trailer was cool but I dont think I would want to be towing a trailer over some of those switchbacks!

Attachments

• m_DSC07640.JPG
    m_DSC07640.JPG
    56.8 KB · Views: 822

Jon, do you think the a-arm/subframe movement was from the parking lot incident or do you think it happened on the trails? That shock angle really tells it.

Well I have crawled around under my Explorer when I changed the oil and fuel filter last week and didn't see anything out of order so I don't have any carnage to report

Show off!:p::D

Brian, I am now wondering this also. I did have an alignment, however they said the "adjustments" were maxed and the camber was still .10 degree negative, and, the caster could not be matched.

Hmmm, I think you are on to something. I may have whacked that side harder than I thought.

I do know we had considerable issues when installing that particular ( driver side) lower control arm, as the holes did not want to line up correctly. It took quite a bit of "drifting" to get em in there.

These are short & random video's from my dig camera. Mostly nonsense, but you can see some good views of Black Bear and Imogene on them. You might just want to turn the volume off completely so as you dont have to listen to our ramblings:rolleyes:

th_CCR09_1.jpg

th_CCR09_2.jpg

th_CCR09_3.jpg

th_CCR09_4.jpg

th_CCR09_5.jpg

th_CCR09_6.jpg

th_CCR09_7.jpg

Daniel,

How was your run down Black Bear? I never heard...

Carnage Report, nothing much truck still running strong. On the drive home I had a constant humming noise sounded like I was in a twin prop airplane. My original thought was the inner axle bearing, shows what I know. Come to find out the new front hub assemblies I put on were junk (Brand New BTY). I had one left from my previous change out and "WA LA" car is back to normal. As far as the T-case it's working perfectly and I still havent put the cross member back on. Lazy I guess. I still havent found the spot I slammed on my truck while on Engineer, guess is wasnt as bad as I thought.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Oh, that's not all of it yet. I have 4 gigs of video from the roof camera still. Jon, your in a lot of it since I was behind you for a great deal of Black Bear. I believe everyone is in the video's sometime or another.

Back