• Register Today It's free!

wont go in 4 low

92explorahore

Reaction score
City, State
Pomeroy, ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 explorer
i got a 92 explorer, manual shift, push button 4wd, it will go into 4 high everytime but not gettining nothin on 4 low...light dosent come on, on the button nor the dash...tried tappin the switch motor (no help) took the motor off all seems well....whats the module in the rear fenderwell called?? cant find it on ebay...or any thoughts to what to check...my thoughts were either that module or maybe the little circuit board itsels on the inside of the button switch...im new here and this is my first of many posts to come id say, but any help would be great...thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are you already in 4WD, and stopped? Foot on Brake..AND clutch? Then Press the 4Low button....

Ryan

i have the exact same problem with my '93. goes into 4 high fine, but not low... very annoying as i like having low range for mud and stuff (and pulling things like fallen trees etc on the ranch)

it used to go into low range fine then one day just wouldn't go. i tried taking the motor off and made sure all the connections were good etc. no change.

Do a search for "shift motor"

Guys, if you search "shift motor" you will find all kinds of info from problem solving to re-building (recommended) of the "Shift Motor", sometimes called the Transfer Case Motor. I did this recently and fixed my situation!

There is a Neutral Switch on the Clutch Pedal, similar operation to the Brake Switch on the Brake Pedal. The Clutch and Brake must be depressed for the computer to see that you are in neutral, and stopped (<5mph)

Ryan

Guys, if you search "shift motor" you will find all kinds of info from problem solving to re-building (recommended) of the "Shift Motor", sometimes called the Transfer Case Motor. I did this recently and fixed my situation!

What was the situation with yours? was it doing what ours is doing (not going into 4-low, but 4 high and 2 high shifted fine)? or was it not shifting at all? because since it shifts between 4x2 and 4x4 modes fine, i'm inclined to think the shift motor is working properly. i also took it off and it seemed fine, and the "switch box" thingie i wanted to clean the contacts in but it seems to be one solid piece.

I know with the automatic you have to be in neutral, possibly the same with the manual trans???

There is a Neutral Switch on the Clutch Pedal, similar operation to the Brake Switch on the Brake Pedal. The Clutch and Brake must be depressed for the computer to see that you are in neutral, and stopped (<5mph)

Ryan

it's in neutral, i'm doing it right (i've done it many times before before it stopped working) yes it's an auto.

thanks for the ideas tho guys.

Rebuilding the shift motor takes maybe an hour from start to finish. You can't determine whether the motor is or isn't fine just by taking it off and looking at it. In the least, you should do it to know it's done and eliminate it as a possibility.

hey i found a shift motor thread and it helped with me taking mine apart....i got mine to work by adjusting the motor.....it had shifted a little and the plastic ring on the inside was busted......thanks alot guys

hey i found a shift motor thread and it helped with me taking mine apart....i got mine to work by adjusting the motor.....it had shifted a little and the plastic ring on the inside was busted......thanks alot guys

I miss having 4wd. I need to either rebuild, replace or buy a new one. :(

Back