• Register Today It's free!

94' keyless entry?

GotA94for600

Reaction score
City, State
Boston
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Explorer V6, Auto
Would I be able to hook up my 94' with keyless entry with out doing anything more then taking off the old door's and putting the new door's on? JW cas I often forget my keys in the ingnition.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

As far as I know you don't need to remove the doors to get keyless entry. Although that makes sense that you wouldn't need a key if you had no doors.

Just go to any best buy and get a cheap keyless entry system and they install it for you.

So they will drill into the doors and hook up the little numberd key pad for me?

I feel like you might not know what I'm sayin here. It would seem alomst a stock part on 96' and up to have keyless entry built into the door. I'm sorry if I'm mistaken.

Oh you want the little keypad?

I would say that it would just be cheaper/easier to have a couple sets of keys made for your explorer for a few dollars and keep them in a magnetic key box outside of your car in case of emergencies.

We used to loose keys all the time for our cars and we just keep a spare set of keys in a magnetic key box inside the rear bumpers.

I have the little key box under my car. It's more because my door locks are unpredictable, the drivers side works like a charm, but the other three are questionable at best. The back two are the real problem, they don't open from the inside, and the passenger side is just plain stubborn. The pass side will sometimes lock and sometimes not. Mind you I have automatic doors and an alarm system that locks on comand, but the door locks don't seem to be on the same page. I'm not too too worried about it now since it's my first car/truck so I like to take a walk around my car to check it out and make sure it's looking allright, but I see that in the future I won't like to use all that time to check every single door, or put the windows down the people in the back can get out.

So when I change those doors in the back I'll change the frount, And I like that Idea of keyless entry so I was curious as to if I could replace the 1st gen doors with 2nd gen doors.

The second gen door steel will fit but the interior panel will not , nor will the wireing be the same.

The second gen door steel will fit but the interior panel will not , nor will the wireing be the same.

Door panels from a second generation explorer WILL fit. I know for the front they'll slip into place, but you have to modify the whole in the door next to the mirror. first generation panels screwed into the mirror area in the door vs. the second generations that have a little clip that just hooks into place.

the wiring is different, but it will still work. you just have to transfer wires from one switch to another.

The key to this is making sure you get panels that are of the same length. Basically door panels from a 4 door explorer won't fit a 2 door explorer. Because the doors are of different lengths.

I have the little key box under my car. It's more because my door locks are unpredictable, the drivers side works like a charm, but the other three are questionable at best. The back two are the real problem, they don't open from the inside, and the passenger side is just plain stubborn. The pass side will sometimes lock and sometimes not. Mind you I have automatic doors and an alarm system that locks on comand, but the door locks don't seem to be on the same page. I'm not too too worried about it now since it's my first car/truck so I like to take a walk around my car to check it out and make sure it's looking allright, but I see that in the future I won't like to use all that time to check every single door, or put the windows down the people in the back can get out.
Make sure your child safety locks are not engaged (rear doors). They will prevent the rear doors being opened from the inside(locked or not). They are located under the door where it curves around the rear wheel well.

Make sure your child safety locks are not engaged (rear doors). They will prevent the rear doors being opened from the inside(locked or not). They are located under the door where it curves around the rear wheel well.

Thanks bro, I know about the child locks. I've played many a prank on friends and family.:D

I'ven't heard of the child locks, getting stuck in Lock, but there must be some way that happens, and some way to fix it.

Back