4th gen hatch on a 3rd gen? will it fit | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4th gen hatch on a 3rd gen? will it fit

macknos94

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Harrisburg, pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 mountaineer premier
does anyone know if the 4th gen rear hatch will bolt up to a 3rd gen explorer? i just had my rear window explode in and i have been reading that this is very common with 3rd gen explorers mountaineers and aviators. that was one of the reasons why they changed the rear hatch from the 3rd gen to the 4th gen says ford. but the ford guy couldnt tell me if it would fit on mine so if anyone has any input id like to hear it. be careful around the rear glass i have many cuts from when this "safety glass" exploded and i was in the drivers seat :salute:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

does anyone know if the 4th gen rear hatch will bolt up to a 3rd gen explorer? i just had my rear window explode in and i have been reading that this is very common with 3rd gen explorers mountaineers and aviators. that was one of the reasons why they changed the rear hatch from the 3rd gen to the 4th gen says ford. but the ford guy couldnt tell me if it would fit on mine so if anyone has any input id like to hear it. be careful around the rear glass i have many cuts from when this "safety glass" exploded and i was in the drivers seat :salute:

How did it exactly break? While u were driving?
Posted via Mobile Device

Here is a pic of them side by side, they look very similar, but I'm not sure if they are interchangeable. Sorry for the big pic. I do like the look of the older one better though.
2005_and_2006_Ford_Explorer_rear.jpg

I don't see why they would not. 3rd and 4th arn't that different. Same body just different parts;)

I would be very interested in knowing this as well...

(yes stupid cracked rear panel)

As far as I know (from my own pokng around, since I like the 4th-gen hatch better), the 3rd and 4th gens are pretty much the same body from the windshield back... it should bolt right up, although the electronics might not be the same (different connector, possibly... if you get the hatch from a junker, might as well grab the harness from the body while you're at it.)

As far as I know (from my own pokng around, since I like the 4th-gen hatch better), the 3rd and 4th gens are pretty much the same body from the windshield back... it should bolt right up, although the electronics might not be the same (different connector, possibly... if you get the hatch from a junker, might as well grab the harness from the body while you're at it.)

Yes, the wiring will prolly be different, as well as the hydraulics mostl ikely

did you do this to your ex????

that would be sick

no i just bought a rear glass off a explorer and pulled the emblem off and smoothed it out.

please post pic

i debaged my as well

i cant post any cuz im about 1500 miles away from home right nowbut basically i bondoed the emblem and had my buddy shoot it

I have thought about doing this after my accident the hatch sits goofy and they would have totaled it if they fixed it so I want to find a silver one and try and fit it up. I will check the junkyard for one and maybe give her a whirl. Maybe a little closer to spring.

bump

Anyone been able to successfully do this swap?

someone out there has done this, I could swear I saw a 3rd gen with a 4th gen tail gate on it walking out of the christmas tree shop the other day. I was going to snap a pic but by the time my phone turned on the had left.

once i find a rear hatch of a 4thgen in the junk yard i'm gonna buy it and install it!!!

once i find a rear hatch of a 4thgen in the junk yard i'm gonna buy it and install it!!!

Keep us posted when you do! I've got that crack like everyone else and I'd love to upgrade!

i have both a 3rd and 4th gen in my driveway, let me go take some measurments bud, ill let you know by the end of the day.

zerodevil that would be awesome. my main worry would be the interior. will it all line up with no issues and stuff. i have a big system and stuff that vibrates ruin it. the 3rd gen hatch setup vibrates like crazy

I am actually in the works to convert my front end of my 3rd gen to that of a 4th, also the hatch.

Im still in the works but after researching and finding a donor 4th gen black ex like is the same color as my 3rd gen. Im 75% sure it will work.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Any update? I need to determine this week if it will fit...

Thanks!

Back