Return from the Colorado Colors Run 09 - Ouray: Pics, Video and Reports | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Return from the Colorado Colors Run 09 - Ouray: Pics, Video and Reports

Just a general question about your trip to Colorado. Would a large SUV (ex. Ford Expedition or Chevy Tahoe) make it up and down those trails? From the pictures, some of the trails look fairly narrow. I would think having a longer and wider rig would definitely increase the pucker factor. What do you guys think?

By the way, I love the pictures you guys posted. I wanna do that trip at some point. Totally awesome views.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just a general question about your trip to Colorado. Would a large SUV (ex. Ford Expedition or Chevy Tahoe) make it up and down those trails? From the pictures, some of the trails look fairly narrow. I would think having a longer and wider rig would definitely increase the pucker factor. What do you guys think?

By the way, I love the pictures you guys posted. I wanna do that trip at some point. Totally awesome views.

I wouldn't want to be driving a full sized vehicle there. Some places are pretty thin even for a narrow track.

A full size truck will fit - it will be tight in a few places.

I wouldn't suggest Black Bear as your initial run...

I have had a full size Bronco over all of those trails. But nothing as long as what you have. At two other times I have seen a F series on Black Bear and a full size Wagoneer. Thing about Black Bear is if you have a wide truck behind you, you need to watch out for rocks. If the wide truck (or anyone else) gets too close to the edge they will send rocks down the mountian. And if you are in front of them several trucks you will be below them. A friend of mine from Denver always had full size Bronco's and was tail gunner. So I have had a rock ur 25 wiz by me. It will take you longer on the switch backs to work your way around them. So it would be more work. And as was said if you don't like living on the edge it would not be for you. Folks are just different. One person may not like it and another will do it every year. You will be at a disadvantage. Might want to take a look at the trails first if you have never done anything like that. The rocks can be hard on tires and rims a bit. And the heavier the truck the more likely you are to have trouble. I'd not plan to do Black Bear yer first time out. I'd give Engineer and Cinnamon a try first to see if it was my flavor of icecream. Maybe Ohphir.

can we bring jeeps and scouts?

Sure, but you have to pick up any and all rusty parts that may fall off the IH. :p:

my binder buddy said his 345 ci of american muscle would be happy to tow you home when you break down.

So, what's the plan for 2010?

We drive to get there for 2 days, we set up camp for half a day, we wheel & party for 3-4 days, we break down camp for half a day, we drive back home for 2 days. So pretty much clear the calender for over a week. Worth every oz of energy spent on this trip.

We drive to get there for 2 days, we set up camp for half a day, we wheel & party for 3-4 days, we break down camp for half a day, we drive back home for 2 days. So pretty much clear the calender for over a week. Worth every oz of energy spent on this trip.
LOL, I'm down for that, but WHEN was what I was asking :thumbsup:

Oh, and I "camp" at the comfort inn LOL!

Ha. I was just messing with ya :)

It is always in the fall, hence the name, Colorado Colors Run, and around Labor Day. The exact dates wont be determined till we get closer to it.
Wow, that's awful late in the year for me to take vacation, I work for a school district. Do you know if anyone is planning anything like late July or early August? Ouray that is??

Wow, that's awful late in the year for me to take vacation, I work for a school district. Do you know if anyone is planning anything like late July or early August? Ouray that is??

There is the Full Size Jeep Invasion of Ouray in July. We have gone 4 years now (I used to have a Wagoneer, and now my dad has 3, with one on loan to me). They are a great group, too. You should definitely consider it. :thumbsup: I am also "SVO42" over there and "RiverRat" is my wife ("Goldilocks" here).

Here's the thread: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=106819

BTW, I meant to add that the FSJ group has been very nice in dealing with the "red-headed stepchild" of their Invasion every year. I will have to say that this last year was kinda funny since they're mainly worried about vapor lock (unless the've done an EFI conversion) and I got a "Check Engine" light for "Mass Air Sensor voltage too low." :D I almost got the annual "Boa of shame" this year. You can read about the boa in the FSJ site. :D

Proof from '09: me with my Ex in between on old IH pickup and an FSJ at the top of (I think) Minnie Gulch):

Ouray2009032.jpg

It's all good!

Wow great pics and videos that looks really fun. I would love to go some time but it will be awhile before I can do it though

Hope to make the long drive down from Alberta, Canada for the Colors run someday. Maybe next year, maybe one more after that. It's a couple LONG days of driving to get there. I guess I'll book a couple weeks off in September and hope for the best. I gotta book my whole year in February though so hopefully my dates work out...

Some of the locals there might have a get together. There is a few members around there you could wheel with if you get it going.

Mrboyle
410fortune
ghostrain
and a few others.
Thanks man, I'll open a thread about a possible meet there next summer, sorry for the thread jack.

There is the Full Size Jeep Invasion of Ouray in July. We have gone 4 years now (I used to have a Wagoneer, and now my dad has 3, with one on loan to me). They are a great group, too. You should definitely consider it. :thumbsup: I am also "SVO42" over there and "RiverRat" is my wife ("Goldilocks" here).

Here's the thread: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=106819
Awesome! I would truly be the "red headed step child" in my red ranger LOL. I'll lurk around that site a bit to get a feel for it. It seems so far, the thing that worries them the most, is what camping spot they're going to have LOL. I can hang with that :thumbsup:

will stock explorers be able to do these trails?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

will stock explorers be able to do these trails?

For the most part, YES.

There are some that you wouldn't want to do in a stock set up.
Upgrading to 31" tires will make it able to do almost all of these trails.

I am sure some of the local people can give you a more defined answer than I can.

Back