2nd gen ee front swaybar same as 3rd gen rear stock swaybar??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2nd gen ee front swaybar same as 3rd gen rear stock swaybar???

rama1200

Reaction score
City, State
Jackson, MS
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 explorer xls

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I doubt it because the 3rd gens are wider than previous gens.

If you are looking for cornering, then I'd get some Ground Force lowering springs and at least some 18's. Should minimize body roll with stiffer springs and lower sidewall.

Another idea would be to measure from hole to hole and see if they are the same and have the seller do that as well. I really doubt they are the same though.

Here is another alternative-
http://www.explorerexpress.com/sway-0205-explorerhelper-rear-p-381.html

I doubt it because the 3rd gens are wider than previous gens.

If you are looking for cornering, then I'd get some Ground Force lowering springs and at least some 18's. Should minimize body roll with stiffer springs and lower sidewall.

Another idea would be to measure from hole to hole and see if they are the same and have the seller do that as well. I really doubt they are the same though.

Here is another alternative-
http://www.explorerexpress.com/sway-0205-explorerhelper-rear-p-381.html

Yes, thanks... I saw the hellwig helper bar in the website... but I think some said that it really affects ride quality and raises the rear-end almost 1"...

I actually got at set of front and rear eibach sway bars in my truck.... but I think there is not much difference between the rear stock and the eibach sway bars... but the thickness of an stock front 3rd gen mounted in the rear of a 4rth gen, could really be a big improvement... at a cheaper price...

You know what sucks, I just put my front swaybar back in yesterday!!! After doing that, I decided to clean the throttle body and ended up breaking the tab on the throttle body that attaches the cable to it:mad: So for anyone taking their throttle cable off, it's not a metal nipple thing like older cars have, it's plastic.

I will go measure it and hope I don't break anything else:D

Edit: CORRECTION!!!! I gave it a shot and the front diff angles the tape measure a little and I just eyeballed it at more or less 45 inches. That's from hole to hole.

Yes, thanks... I saw the hellwig helper bar in the website... but I think some said that it really affects ride quality and raises the rear-end almost 1"...

I actually got at set of front and rear eibach sway bars in my truck.... but I think there is not much difference between the rear stock and the eibach sway bars... but the thickness of an stock front 3rd gen mounted in the rear of a 4rth gen, could really be a big improvement... at a cheaper price...

I have reread this post and need help understanding it better. You had stockers, upgraded to eibach's and your not happy with the change? You are hoping that a 3rd gen front will mount in the rear of a 4th gen?

Do you have a 4th gen(05-10)? If you only have an 04' as your sig states then you have a 3rd gen(02-05) and maybe was referring to a 2nd gen(95-01) front mounting into a 3rd gen rear?

If you are having enough body roll that requires you to upgrade even more, then you need to slow down;) or you need to lower it a little and get bigger rims with less sidewall.

I have reread this post and need help understanding it better. You had stockers, upgraded to eibach's and your not happy with the change? You are hoping that a 3rd gen front will mount in the rear of a 4th gen?

Do you have a 4th gen(05-10)? If you only have an 04' as your sig states then you have a 3rd gen(02-05) and maybe was referring to a 2nd gen(95-01) front mounting into a 3rd gen rear?

If you are having enough body roll that requires you to upgrade even more, then you need to slow down;) or you need to lower it a little and get bigger rims with less sidewall.

Hi Limited02... I do have a '04 - 3rd gen... I think I may have mistyped it some where? :D

I have the full (front/rear) eibach upgraded sways, but I was not impressed with the rear one; it is not much more thicker than the stock and it is tubular (as per their info)... the front is noticeably (is this a word?) thicker than stock... I recently purchased 18" rims... it feels way better... but i was just thinking that instead of using an aftermarket product (talking about just the rear bars) that don't seem to be that much different/better than stock... might be worth it just to go to a juckeryard and pull the front bar off of a 2nd gen for much less $$$... and since it is thicker, it might provide better results...

After I did the bar upgrades, I noticed that the front bar of the 2nd gens might be the same size and shape as the rear bar of the 3rd gens (and may be vice verse?)...

But I'm almost sure that if this was the case, some one here would already had made a write up, or something like that, about it.... right?

Thanks all for replays..

I thought that's what you meant;)

I personally think they stock front is pretty beefy and since you went bigger, I'd think you'd be riding straight in any corner you took! Did you get a chance to measure the rear swaybar?

I'd doubt about the writeup since most people on lift their ex's/mounty's. I'd say we are a smaller crowd than most(street):( Don't get me wrong, I love lifted trucks as much as the next guy(look at my ranger) but lifting the ex doesn't work for me because I haul 6-8 people around every now and then and it wouldn't make sense to do that. If I didn't have a GF and looking forward to having family soon, the ex would be lifted on straight axles and 37-40 tires.

Now if you are going for a street look and feel, my next suggestion will be lowering it. That with your swaybars and 18's, you'll be known as the "Drift King.":D

Back