Torque Monster Header (TMH) Gasket Replacement-Pointers needed | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Torque Monster Header (TMH) Gasket Replacement-Pointers needed

Post number 107 has been selected as best answered.

Robert has changed his hardware and gaskets a few times over the years based on customer feedback, my guess is he will chime into this thread as well

There are high temp exhaust sealants, but they never last long IMO under these temps

there are three different dipstick setups for our 5.0L explorer's I believe, they are all a PITA to install around the headers, Robert included a double stud for the dipstick bolt, there is hardly enough room to tighten this sucker next to the header tube.

I attached the dipstick using a metal zip tie (like a CV boot clamp) around one of the header tubes, this keeps the dipstick seated nice and tight without having to mess with the header flange bolt

I know when you have chrome valve covers you will never stop the leaks, why? because the chrome is on the sealing edge, no gasket can stick to it or close the gap...

I am wondering if the coating on the inside of our header flange is why TMH's have a hard time sealing up?

If you have leaks, look for black soot... it makes it easy to spot where the leaks are coming from exactly around the header flange......the d side of my 96 Ex is starting to tick :) I will be checking those bolts again!

Also I do not run the plastic inner fender liners on either of my trucks, I wonder if thecold rain/snow water getting tossed onto the headers also is helping to cause leaks??? LOL I am sure it is!! Some sort of plastic splash shield may be needed on my DD

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Robert has changed his hardware and gaskets a few times over the years based on customer feedback, my guess is he will chime into this thread as well

I already shot him a link to the thread so I'm hoping he does contribute. :)

Just a short update. Totally ran out of time this week to make an appointment with pre-xmas madness and all. Hopefully to get done next Tues or Wed.

Guys, I really appreciate the input. Merry Christmas to you and yours. I hope Santa has a lot of cool stuff under the tree pour vous.

Cheers,

Brad
Posted via Mobile Device

Where do you order the TMH from? I did a search of the vendors on here as well as a google search and nothing came up.

Google harder using "Torque Monster" as your search. Only one place to get them (new anyhow).
Posted via Mobile Device

Google harder using "Torque Monster" as your search. Only one place to get them (new anyhow).
Posted via Mobile Device

found them...thanks.

Where do you order the TMH from? I did a search of the vendors on here as well as a google search and nothing came up.

You do know they are for the 5.0 only.

You do know they are for the 5.0 only.

yeah, thanks. I just picked up a 2000 AWD to replace my wrecked 98 EB. Cant change my signature for some reason though.

If anyone knows of a used set please let me know. Im very interested but dont have the extra $$ for new after this big purchase. Im surprised how sluggish the V8 feels compared to my previous SOHC V6.

yeah, thanks. I just picked up a 2000 AWD to replace my wrecked 98 EB. Cant change my signature for some reason though.

If anyone knows of a used set please let me know. Im very interested but dont have the extra $$ for new after this big purchase. Im surprised how sluggish the V8 feels compared to my previous SOHC V6.

I saw your sig which listed all V6 Explorers but missed the 2000 5.0 under your user name.

If anyone knows of a used set please let me know. Im very interested but dont have the extra $$ for new after this big purchase.

Bum luck. There was a surplus of used TMH this past summer. Be patient. They come up. Never a huge discount over new though because they are pretty rare and well made so they hold their value.

Im surprised how sluggish the V8 feels compared to my previous SOHC V6.

LOL just wait you will get used to it plus just a few mods and that SOHC will wish it could hang

a computer tune will help witht he slugish shifting, the v8's are really detuned from the factory... you punch the gas pedal and it just stays in 3rd or 2nd when you wish it would kick down... the SOHC feels peppy because it makes V8 power and revs to the sky, at the end of the day I think you will find the V8 has more passing power, better ability to hold speed (highway, hills) and of course towing/hauling...

once you do some power adders and a computer tune you will forget all about that cute "peppy" sohc plus this thing has ONE TIMING CHAIN and a strong transmission :)

LOL just wait you will get used to it plus just a few mods and that SOHC will wish it could hang

a computer tune will help witht he slugish shifting, the v8's are really detuned from the factory... you punch the gas pedal and it just stays in 3rd or 2nd when you wish it would kick down... the SOHC feels peppy because it makes V8 power and revs to the sky, at the end of the day I think you will find the V8 has more passing power, better ability to hold speed (highway, hills) and of course towing/hauling...

once you do some power adders and a computer tune you will forget all about that cute "peppy" sohc plus this thing has ONE TIMING CHAIN and a strong transmission :)

Well said as always. I came to the V8 world 4 years ago after two SOHC Sports. I agree that stock 5.0 feels very sluggish vis a vis the SOHC but that all changes when you start tweaking. Tuning is huge. :)

Thats reassuring :)

Ive never done any computer tuning on any of my previous trucks. Is the best bet to just go to my local performance shop and ask them to do it? What price range should I expect to pay for something like this? As far as invasiveness and cost, what order should I go in as far as increasing the performance of this 5.0, comp tune, headers, cat back exhaust, etc.?

thanks!

search this site, you dont need to go anywhere to tune that truck except Explorerforum.com

got ya covered!!

5.0L = TMH, computer tune... then go from there and see how you feel

I love my cam but I would not use the E cam again, I would go custom grind

trans cooler would also be on my list of first upgrades, ditch the stocker or run two of them at least!!

Thats reassuring :)

Ive never done any computer tuning on any of my previous trucks. Is the best bet to just go to my local performance shop and ask them to do it? What price range should I expect to pay for something like this? As far as invasiveness and cost, what order should I go in as far as increasing the performance of this 5.0, comp tune, headers, cat back exhaust, etc.?

thanks!

A friendly reminder that we're entering hijack territory now. There are a lot of threads addressing your questions elsewhere. My preference is to keep this thread on topic, i.e. gasket service on Torque Monster Headers.

Thanks and Merry Christmas.

A friendly reminder that we're entering hijack territory now. There are a lot of threads addressing your questions elsewhere. My preference is to keep this thread on topic, i.e. gasket service on Torque Monster Headers.

Thanks and Merry Christmas.

ah, ok. Well I have a total noob question about the header gaskets. Is it possible to use high temp RTV by itself, or along with a fiber gasket, to fill up any voids that might be occurring? Or does it just get too hot?

ah, ok. Well I have a total noob question about the header gaskets. Is it possible to use high temp RTV by itself, or along with a fiber gasket, to fill up any voids that might be occurring? Or does it just get too hot?

Consensus seems to be you can't use it by itself. I've seen cases where people combine it with a gasket. I've read so many gasket threads (both Explorer and non-Explorer) in the last while so I'm not sure what the success has been with TMH gaskets and RTV.

I'm glad you brought this up as I'm wondering the same thing. I have an exhaust leak I thought was due to the factory exhaust gaskets are deteriorating. (Turns out it is due to a cracked manifold) I was afraid I would fail safety inspection in May of this year so I put a bead of hi-temp red silicone around the exhaust manifold where it meets the head. To this day it has not burned off. I changed plugs at the end of Oct and tried to peel it off and it would not budge.

This could be the solution for the left side two piece header. I don't If there is a temp difference at this flange that could cause an issue or not.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This could be the solution for the left side two piece header. I don't If there is a temp difference at this flange that could cause an issue or not.

That's a good point. I think it would be easier apply RTV to the seam than swapping the gasket. My first question to my exhaust guy when I see him next week is "why do you think the leak is at that gasket?". I'll see what he says about sealing with RTV. The main gaskets seem fine as they stand. The problem I'm finding with the ticking sound is it's hard to truly isolate where it originates as the sound does resonate throughout the entire header. Definitely seems worse on driver's side so his theory that it's that gasket has merit.

Back