How to: - Interior Dome Light LED Conversion (PICs) | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Interior Dome Light LED Conversion (PICs)

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
Here Is how to convert your dome lights from light bulbs to LEDs.

Starting with the Driver and Front Pax

What you will need

20 LEDs 55,000mcd
20 Resistors to bring the voltage down from 12volts to what your LEDs are rated at. Mine were 3.6v
Radio Shack Project board

First cut 2 pieces of the project board to 1.35" X1.35"
IMG_0018-2.jpg

Then arrange your LEDs on the board the way you want them. I used 10 on each board, 6 as spot lights and 4 on the corners as floods (grind the tips flat on the 4). Solder a resistor to each + lead of each LED and wire all the - leads together. Use Hot glue to attach each LED.
IMG_0019-2.jpg

Use clear nail polish to refinish the 4 ground down LEDs.
IMG_0023-2.jpg

Test
IMG_0022-3.jpg

Now disassemble the over head console and remove the 2 bulb holders
IMG_0024-2.jpg

Remove the metal shrouds from each of the bulb holders.
IMG_0025-1.jpg

Attach each board to the bulb holders using a Zip Tie, then use hot glue of silicone on the back to bond the board to the bulb holder
IMG_0026-2.jpg

Wire the 2 boards to the corresponding light switch on the console and snap on the cover.
IMG_0043.jpg

2nd row seats

I used 8 LEDs for this

Cut 2 pieces of project board .84"x.84"
IMG_0027-1.jpg

Arrange your LEDs and solder away.
IMG_0031-1.jpg

I used the - leads on the LEDs to hold the 2 boards together since the dome light reflector is in a pyramid shape and has to be bent in the center.
IMG_0030.jpg

Hot glue the board in.
IMG_0032-1.jpg

Done
IMG_0042-2.jpg

Cargo Area

I used 12 LEDs here

After removing the Unit from the headliner you need to gut out the metal contacts that were used for holding the bulb. Then Cut a piece of project board to fit inside the housing. Arrange you the LEDs and solder away.
IMG_0036-1.jpg

Here is what the back looks like on the boards with the - leads soldered together.
IMG_0038.jpg

Use hot glue to glue the board into the housing, and coat back of the board with glue or silicone to insulate.
IMG_0039-3.jpg

Done
IMG_0040.jpg

Will get pics when it gets dark out

Good Luck

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ok so it looks like its a bad wire somewhere....:mad:
im gonna try and get to the center dome light today and just give up on the front one. i never thought it would be such a pain in the ass not having a light come on when i get in the truck:rolleyes:
thanks again for all the help:salute:
Danny

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

i just finished building them and dont have time to install them tonight so i will have to do it tomorow. they look great thow. this thread was a huge help so thanks alot. here are some pictures
DSCN0423.jpg
DSCN0426.jpg
DSCN0429.jpg
DSCN0427.jpg

looks good energie. Nice and bright :)

And yeah, you do need a tripod :p

haha, the flash is too bright, and no flash means slow shutter speed. damn these cameras. you get the idea though, thanks.

I really like the setup and plan to do something similar in mine. I already converted my '95 camry dome light to LED. I bought a little plate of 20 LED's from autozone yesterday that replaced the festoon style bulb. It was basically another festoon bulb with wires coming out of the tube that attach to the plate of LED's. It took me all of about 20 minutes. I'm hoping the explorer will be a easy.

My question is, how do you remove all the dome lights? I have looked at it very carefully and I don't want to break anything because I am unsure what to do. Thanks

-Marc

looks good man get some night pics

I really like the setup and plan to do something similar in mine. I already converted my '95 camry dome light to LED. I bought a little plate of 20 LED's from autozone yesterday that replaced the festoon style bulb. It was basically another festoon bulb with wires coming out of the tube that attach to the plate of LED's. It took me all of about 20 minutes. I'm hoping the explorer will be a easy.

My question is, how do you remove all the dome lights? I have looked at it very carefully and I don't want to break anything because I am unsure what to do. Thanks

-Marc

in response to your questions
the overhead console you open the garage door opener holder or the sunroof switch..whichever you have, wish i had a sunroof, anyway, unscrew the two screws there, and pull on the front of the console. theres two clips in the front which come out with some force but as long as you dont just ream on it, they shouldnt break, and then unclip it, and the dome light is pretty straight forward from there.
the passenger one, remove the light cover, and theres 3 bolts and it just comes off.
the cargo light i havent gotten around to yet so i cannot say.

in response to your questions
the overhead console you open the garage door opener holder or the sunroof switch..whichever you have, wish i had a sunroof, anyway, unscrew the two screws there, and pull on the front of the console. theres two clips in the front which come out with some force but as long as you dont just ream on it, they shouldnt break, and then unclip it, and the dome light is pretty straight forward from there.
the passenger one, remove the light cover, and theres 3 bolts and it just comes off.
the cargo light i havent gotten around to yet so i cannot say.

Thank you very much. I have to say I saw some of the screws, but they didn't seem like they would have done what I wanted to accomplish. I will also try the cargo light again, maybe similar information will apply.

-Marc

Well, i went to the store yesterday after removing the dome lights. They didn't have any led replacements for the light bulbs and I don't want to be messing around with the wires so I bought a few sylvania Bright whire bulbs which will have almost the same effect as LEDs.

I could only do them for the middle row dome light. The front had these plastic mounting brackets soldered on. I would need to get Ford or a friend who has a solder and knows how to use it to add some plastic brackets on them.

And I still haven't figured out how to remove the cargo dome light. I'm betting that when I can, it will be able to take a small LED light.

-Marc

well i probably did it wrong but if youre talking about the cargo light as in the rear hatch light, you just pull the casing out. the plug is on the passenger side, so just try to pull the drivers side out first and itll pop right out. no screws, nothing

well i probably did it wrong but if youre talking about the cargo light as in the rear hatch light, you just pull the casing out. the plug is on the passenger side, so just try to pull the drivers side out first and itll pop right out. no screws, nothing

Are you sure your talking about the light in the trunk? meaning what I call cargo light. What do you mean by plug on the passenger side and pulling out the driver's side? there's only one cargo light. Maybe I'm just interpreting this differently, but I don't know what your talking about. Sorry to bother you again.

-Marc

Finally got some night time pic's. check them out
DSCN0492.jpg
DSCN0448.jpg
DSCN0495.jpg

I made a complete set for CTSPEED's truck as well, so he should post some more pics of my handywork. I couldn't have done it without this excellent write-up thow good job!

Nice work, They are a hell of a lot brighter then the bulbs aren't they lol

these are sweet also =p

All,
I just installed my interior dome LED lights, but they aren´t so bright like the MustangP51 pictures(first page).
What happened with? I used wrong type of LED? I used 8 Led´s, same project of MustangP51.

Look the picture:
http://i762.photobucket.com/albums/xx267/fkowalski1942/DSCN3094.jpg

Best Regards

If you use too large of a resistor the LED's will be dimmer. typical size for 12V application for white or blue is 470 ohms I believe. Larger than that and you're LED's will be dimmer. Smaller than that and you LED's will be brighter, with the risk of them burning out prematurely

Hello
I used 1K resistors. I will change for 470ohm and after that i post here the results.

Best Regards

Back