96 v8 starting issue | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

96 v8 starting issue

update

Since changing the fuel filter, it has been easier to start my 5.0 EX.

I think there is still a lot of the trash in the gas tank. Since I do not have the time now and desire to suffer the pain of removing the gas tank I put a very powerfull magnet on the underneath outside of the gas tank away from the fuel pump\pickup to collect this stuff or most of it in one spot until I can get the tank removed.

thanks for all the help and info,,,, great site.....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Since changing the fuel filter, it has been easier to start my 5.0 EX.

I think there is still a lot of the trash in the gas tank. Since I do not have the time now and desire to suffer the pain of removing the gas tank I put a very powerfull magnet on the underneath outside of the gas tank away from the fuel pump\pickup to collect this stuff or most of it in one spot until I can get the tank removed.

thanks for all the help and info,,,, great site.....

never heard of the magnet idea before, not sure if it would help....but I would keep a extra fuel filter in your truck if you start having problems again. Your pump probably wont last to long if its that dirty inside. Not to mention if the filter doesnt filter out all that crap you might get a couple clogged injectors, i would put injector clean in every once in a while.

Good luck, and Merry Chirstmas!!

still having a problem

She left me stranded for 2 hours today in 18f degree weather 5 hours from home today.

I pulled into a rest stop and would not restart after sitting for 10 minutes, just crank and crank with nothing.

I had to use starting fluid to get it going, we had to feed it into the intake for 30 seconds until the fuel pressure would build up in the fuel rail is my thought.

Once I got it home I removed the fuel inlet line from the filter, no trash came out like it did when I changed it.
I turned the key to on (not cranking it) fuel came out for the 2 seconds pump stayed on, is there a specific quantity to check for?

I also did fuel pressure check back at my garage, when it would not start it had no fuel pressure.

When it did start no rich\flooded smoke out of the tail pipe

I see the trend with it, happens when it is below 40f. Is there a specific component that does not liek the cold or when defective only shows it during cold?

She left me stranded for 2 hours today in 18f degree weather 5 hours from home today.

I pulled into a rest stop and would not restart after sitting for 10 minutes, just crank and crank with nothing.

I had to use starting fluid to get it going, we had to feed it into the intake for 30 seconds until the fuel pressure would build up in the fuel rail is my thought.

Once I got it home I removed the fuel inlet line from the filter, no trash came out like it did when I changed it.
I turned the key to on (not cranking it) fuel came out for the 2 seconds pump stayed on, is there a specific quantity to check for?

I also did fuel pressure check back at my garage, when it would not start it had no fuel pressure.

When it did start no rich\flooded smoke out of the tail pipe

I see the trend with it, happens when it is below 40f. Is there a specific component that does not liek the cold or when defective only shows it during cold?

Yep, sounds like a worn out fuel pump. When they wear out, the brushes will get flat spots. When you turn the truck off and it lands anywhere but the flat sport, it will start just fine and the motor will run forever until you turn it off. But....after you turn the truck off, and the motor happens to land in the flat sport, thats when you have problems. The motor cant turn over. Next time it happens, hit the fuel tank with a hammer a couple times, it should juggle the motor just enough to get it spinning again. If it starts after doing this, then you just confirmed you have a bad fuel pump. I suppose you could always have a loose electrical connection, but more than likely you have a worn pump.

I should add I could hear the fuel pump whine when I turned the key on and back off 6 times and then crank it without success.
Pressure would drop like a rock after I turned it off, I have a test gauge I used back at my garage.

I was looking for the fuel return line to pinch it off, anyone know where it is in the chassis?

thanks for the help.

Ok, so could you hear the pump working when you did this?

yes it had the whine, but no pressure at the gauge,
Thats when I pulled the in line off the filter to check for output, just not sure how much output there is supposed to be.

I think next would be to pinch\block the return line temorarly and test it 50 time for pressure.

yes it had the whine, but no pressure at the gauge,
Thats when I pulled the in line off the filter to check for output, just not sure how much output there is supposed to be.

I think next would be to pinch\block the return line temorarly and test it 50 time for pressure.

you can take the vacuum line off the top of the FPR, when you do that then very little fuel should return back to the tank. Its basically the same as piching off the return line. Having no vacuum to the FPR is like WOT setting.

just change the damn fuel pressure regulator, if you are loosing pressure after 60 seconds then u have a bad fpr, i cant believe you haven't figured that out by now.

just change the damn fuel pressure regulator, if you are loosing pressure after 60 seconds then u have a bad fpr, i cant believe you haven't figured that out by now.

dude he just replaced the FPR before Chirstmas

Edit: After looking through the posts, he hasnt changed the FPR. I must have been thinking of another thread that had the exact same problem....Dido to above poster, change the FPR.

I have not replaced the FPR,,, if that is what is defective I shall.
I already replaced other non defective parts, I'd like to fix the problem without spending unnecessary $.

Just an Idea ???

Does your key have the chip in it for anti theft ??? Try a spare key. Sounds like the problem I had. sometimes would start sometimes not.. and if not, If it would sit for about an hour it sometimes would start , sometimes not...My primary key was worn and not making a good connection, so it was telling the computer may be a theft,, and would shut down for and hour then reset itself... Just an Idea...... cause I did everything you guys talked about..and it wound up the key and the anti theft devise.........

Back