Mustang inspired grille (speed grille with built in lights) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Mustang inspired grille (speed grille with built in lights)

JarvisB

Reaction score
City, State
Washington, DC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Sport
Hello, this is the same person with other screenname Uglydimple12, my sn got messed up I couldnt figure out email addy n all that so I decided to screw it and make a new acct.

Anyway here is my idea:

For some reason I am in love with this grille. I always have liked mustangs so I think I am digging this mustang inspired grille. There isnt one made for explorer. BUT I am seriously considering buying brushed aluminum speed grilles and then send them to Jon so he can powdercoat them mirror black for me and then I will modify the grille by buying a pair of those lights and a ford emblem.

What do you guys think?

I think this is very possible! My bro and I can pull it off I think.

look at the grille of this f150, this is what I am talking about

IMG00023-20100106-2107.jpg

This probably wont happen until I am done with lowering my explorer and depends on my funding for the turbo project.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This would be epic.

I have a billet and thought about cutting holes for lights then i realized there isn't a whole lot of grill room on 2nd gens, at least not for the lights i want

yeah but now I am trying to find those certain lights

BUT I am seriously considering buying brushed aluminum speed grilles and then send them to Jon so he can powdercoat them mirror black...

What do you guys think?

Hiya Jarvis.

I've got a Speed Grille for my '99 and had Jon powdercoat it "smoked chrome" this past July. I am very happy with the results. Sorry, no current pics but the grille parts do powdercoat well. :)

Hiya Jarvis.

I've got a Speed Grille for my '99 and had Jon powdercoat it "smoked chrome" this past July. I am very happy with the results. Sorry, no current pics but the grille parts do powdercoat well. :)

Yeah I got my billet grille coated mirror black by Jon as well and I like it a lot but I am tired of the billet look and I just fell in love with this grille that I want.

Thanks

Ive been planning on doin this with my factory grille. Ive got mounts and everything designed and im just waiting till winter is over so i can fiberglass it together. Then im gonna hit it with some textured trim paint but leave the outer lip chrome. good luck bro!

That would be sick!

Hey, I think I seen you on ca.com right? But yeah that looks like it would be pretty simple to do and look sweet. Definitely make it happen!

Hella makes the same grille. Hella and Pro Comp make low profile 6" lights for such reasons.
Just pray you dont have problems with radiator temp after the install.

Hella makes the same grille. Hella and Pro Comp make low profile 6" lights for such reasons.
Just pray you dont have problems with radiator temp after the install.

I strongly doubt I would run into any radiator heat issue.

I think it would look cool, shouldn't be too complicated either. :thumbsup:

I installed lights behind the grill without cutting the holes. But it will give you an idea of what it looks like lit up

explorer12.jpg

I'd be all over that. Let me know how that turns out. I love that look on the f-150 as well as the mustang. My street scene grill is gettin old.

I installed lights behind the grill without cutting the holes. But it will give you an idea of what it looks like lit up

explorer12.jpg

cool but I am looking to use those bigger lights that mustangs use.

I think they r 6"

I will more likely tackle this project in the springtime, no guarantees lol. I got a turbo project as well. $$$ talks lol

^^^I did this build before. All you need is a few small items to get the lights into position.

bump.

Anyone finish this project yet? It certainly has my eye!

im the one who came up with the idea

I got the speed grilles now but I m not sure if I still want to do this. I definitely dont want to ruin my grille ha

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I agree Jarvis! Your grilles look awesome, i'd be nervous too. I've thought about trying it with a stock grille as a practice run before cutting up a grill like yours.

Back