• Register Today It's free!

? about spark plugs

2000XPLORERSPORT

Reaction score
City, State
lambertville,mi.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 FORD EXPLORER SPORT
i was at meijer today and they have autolite platinum plugs on clearence for $2.49 each. thats only $7.50 for 6. thats cheaper than one plug i got now,lol. but anyways, i was wondering if i need to gap the plugs first? if so, what is the range im looking for? like .66, .58,etc.....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

6 X $2.49 = $14.94 based on my math. :D

The gap should be listed along with all your emissions info, belt routing etc. Should be .054 if I recall.

6 X $2.49 = $14.94 based on my math. :D

The gap should be listed along with all your emissions info, belt routing etc. Should be .054 if I recall.

:( oh your right,lol. i was thinking something else i saw on sale. but yea i can check it out on the gap.

ok, i checked under the hood and it says to gap the plugs to .052-.056. so .054 would be perfect.

ok, i checked under the hood and it says to gap the plugs to .052-.056. so .054 would be perfect.

The Motorcraft Double Plats I put in a few months ago all came pre-gapped to .054 (measured to verify). That was a bonus. :thumbsup:

what do you think is better? the autolite plat, or motorcraft plat?

what do you think is better? the autolite plat, or motorcraft plat?

Autolite makes Motorcraft. Some day that they're identical. Just different branding. You won't go wrong with either. Go with what's cheapest, IMHO.

The Motorcrafts are a better plug, especially for the Explorer. Quite a few forum members have had engine issues when using Autolite, Bosch, etc. spark plugs. Of course there are others who are running them and don't have the same problems.

$2.49 each isn't that spectacular of a deal, you can get the Motorcraft plugs for $3-5 apiece some places, sometimes even at the dealer when you buy 6 or 8. If it's worth it to you, you could always try the Autolites. I wouldn't put another plug in my Explorer besides a Motorcraft platinum plus/double platinum, even if they were free.

I hate to throw a wrench in your thoughts & experiences on spark plug brands
but I have had good success with NGK brand Platinum/Iridium plugs and high tension leads. Your driving habits and the health of the engine may play into
the success of certain brand plugs.

I hate to throw a wrench in your thoughts & experiences on spark plug brands
but I have had good success with NGK brand Platinum/Iridium plugs and high tension leads. Your driving habits and the health of the engine may play into
the success of certain brand plugs.

yea i always liked ngk plugs. i hear good things about them. i just thought they were more for imports. but then again, monster trucks run them in there 572 cubic inch 1500 horse power motors.

I'd just make sure they are the correct plugs for the Explorer. Seems like the Autolite ones listed at Wally World were different than the ones that Schucks sold me.

I'd just make sure they are the correct plugs for the Explorer. Seems like the Autolite ones listed at Wally World were different than the ones that Schucks sold me.

yea, when i decide to change my plugs i'll probably go ahead and get the motorcraft platinum or double plat plugs. i'll buy a gap checker and try to get them at .054. how can you check to make sure there for an explorer?

You know one of the biggest mistakes made by most people is not torquing the plugs back in place. This alone will change the heat range of any plug.

yea i always liked ngk plugs. i hear good things about them. i just thought they were more for imports. but then again, monster trucks run them in there 572 cubic inch 1500 horse power motors.

I agree with Anime.

I have used NGK's in my offroad toys and that's all I will ever use in them. But when you look at a monster truck, they do not use their plugs for an extended period of time. I'm sure they are changed before every new day of performing. I currently have NGK platinum in my '99 and I am not happy with them. They have been in for 40,000 km and the gap is now at .060 from the .054 I gapped them at four years ago. They will be changed the first chance I get.

I replaced the plugs in my '05 at 95,000 km and the gap was not as far out as the NGK's.

I agree with Anime.

I have used NGK's in my offroad toys and that's all I will ever use in them. But when you look at a monster truck, they do not use their plugs for an extended period of time. I'm sure they are changed before every new day of performing. I currently have NGK platinum in my '99 and I am not happy with them. They have been in for 40,000 km and the gap is now at .060 from the .054 I gapped them at four years ago. They will be changed the first chance I get.

I replaced the plugs in my '05 at 95,000 km and the gap was not as far out as the NGK's.

i wonder what the gap on my bosh plugs are? i never checked them, just put them in. that was over 30,000 miles ago. i bought a plug gap check tool yesterday at autozone. but when i do change the plugs, i will get the motorcraft double plat plugs. i think i'll keep my wires.

Check your high tension leads with a digital VOA meter before you decide which way to go. Old leads can ruin a new plug or cause poor engine performance.
Anytime you use a plug in extreme situations you get increased risk of fatigue
and possible early failure. Plugs are cheap in the big picture for competition.
On the early wear of the center electrode of Platinum NGK plugs versus motorcraft, I'm still on the fence with that one due to no evidence from my experience.

I only replace my plugs and wires at the same time. To me it seems like a waste of time to just replace one and not the other.

well with only about 36,000 miles on my plugs and wires, do they need replaced you think? i mean the truck runs fine. im running taylor spiro pro 8mm wires.

No, you should be fine. I've had the Autolite platinums and Taylor 8mm spiral Pros for about 50,000 m now and have not had a problem. I also run 89 octane and keep the fuel filter changed, as well as keeping fresh Mobil 1, so there isn't any oil blow by or crappy fuel to foul either...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No, you should be fine. I've had the Autolite platinums and Taylor 8mm spiral Pros for about 50,000 m now and have not had a problem. I also run 89 octane and keep the fuel filter changed, as well as keeping fresh Mobil 1, so there isn't any oil blow by or crappy fuel to foul either...

well i use royal purple oil, 93 octane fuel with lucas fuel injector cleaner and i just changed the fuel filter. i have used seafoam a couple times through the gas tank and vacum line into the manifold. i just did the seafoam thursday actually.

Back