Battery runs dead

tbrawner

Reaction score
City, State
St johns Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 xlt
I have a 1991 explorer that the battery will drain it could be a day or a week
I went thru all the fuses looking for a short all o.k. with the key off it is pulling about .5 amps was told thats normal. any ideas.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

bad alternator, bad wires, bad battery if its pulling regular amounts of key off battery

it has a new battery. do think the ground wire could do it it is old and cracked

From what i have read the wires rot from inside out so it might look good but be bad inside, or had a bad ground connection. have you checked the charging voltage?

Yes I believe it was in the 14 vdc range. One thing every once in a while you will hear a fast clicking noise from under the hood by the time you start to look for it it goes away only last a few seconds after you turn off the engine.

sounds like one of your relays. i had a parasitic drain from my EEC relay. it supposed to click and then engage the fuel pump before you turn it on. so that might be it. jus that it might be caused by bad wiring somewhere, like a short out or bad ignition switch possibly?

Might want to check the relays. I think sometimes they'll looked burned or charred around the plugins if they're going or pulling to much current.

battery drain!

I chased a battery drian for long time. Turned out to be a penny had gotten into cigarettes lighter. Just a thought. I would of never guessed to look there.

####in A. i hate when that happens. be a good prank too. but really mean

I chased a battery drain for long time. Turned out to be a penny had gotten into cigarettes lighter. Just a thought. I would of never guessed to look there.

that would be mean!!!, but then again...no ..better not... LOL:)

Back