LEDs Under Radio (pics)!!!! 2nd gen | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

LEDs Under Radio (pics)!!!! 2nd gen

Well i am just getting into the LED kick and i was building just a practice board and it came out pretty good so i figured id put it to good use this ...

Keep in mind my stock radio trim is trimmed down a bit to fit the Double Din nav that I have in the ex but this board should fit either way..

What you will need
-3-5 mm LEDs (I used the radio shack LEDs)
-Project Board from radio shack
-10 guage wire for leads
-Drill bit
-Sodder w./flux (radio shack)
-Soddering Iron
-Hot Glue Gun/Glue

The (first) LED Build
First i built the LED board, the board measures 1/2 inch x 2 1/2 inch. I layed out the LEDs at- 0 1 2 -inch on the board 3 in total.

Connect the leads together and run them out 1 of the 1/2 inch sides so it looks like this.

IMG_3744.JPG

Installation
First I had to take out the radio trim (not hard for me i dont use the screws) just take out the two screws underneath the radio and pull the trim towards you, a little prybar/screwdriver helps.

then turn the trim over you will notice three pieces of plastic tabs

This is a good guide for your center led to sit and it actuall just so happens to be exactly 1 inch apart

Drill holes large enough to fit the bulbs in i used the soddering iron and just melted them through

Place board into holes and hot glue onto trim
IMG_37501.JPG

Wire leads to eiither a switch or like I did i wired it to be on with the interior lights so far i love it it gives nice light to the middle cupholders and the pockets.

put trim back in

Finally....
IMG_3751.JPG

IMG_3752.JPG

If i missed something dont hesitate to ask

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What are the specs of those LEDs, and what power source did you wire them to?

The LEDs are from radioshack It was my first time building a board so i just picked up a few so i could practice before i bought bulk.. the specs are
7000mcd
25mA
3.3v
resistors were 470ohm

I wired them to the power i have going to my light bar switches thats why i didnt explain where to wire them but they can be wired to any constant or switched line if you want to add a switch for the LEDs just wire them to a constant and add a switch, I may later on when it gets warmer add them to the door ajar lights I just couldnt find the wires in the haynes manual i have to searchfor them.

The LEDs are from radioshack It was my first time building a board so i just picked up a few so i could practice before i bought bulk.. the specs are
7000mcd
25mA
3.3v
resistors were 470ohm

I wired them to the power i have going to my light bar switches thats why i didnt explain where to wire them but they can be wired to any constant or switched line if you want to add a switch for the LEDs just wire them to a constant and add a switch, I may later on when it gets warmer add them to the door ajar lights I just couldnt find the wires in the haynes manual i have to searchfor them.

Oh okay cool :) I've been thinking about integrating some LEDs in my 98 EB too... have that message center there, so I don't think that specific spot would work well for me, but I like reading about people's experiments & projects with LEDs in their trucks.

Good job :)

EDIT: I ordered 500 ultra-bright LEDs on eBay from some hong kong seller... came out to $1/100 LEDs, plus $12.95 shipping LOL... all in all, still saving a good chunk of change... before shipping only a penny per LED. Should be here in a/b a week... been a few days since I received shipping notification.

When i added LED's to light up the floor area of my truck, I tapped into the wires on the back of the dimmer switch. For the 99 model year they were black with gray stripe, and If I remember correctly, they were the only wires going into the plug on the back of the dimmer that had 2 wires going to the same pin. They come on with the rest of the interior lights

looks good

When i added LED's to light up the floor area of my truck, I tapped into the wires on the back of the dimmer switch. For the 99 model year they were black with gray stripe, and If I remember correctly, they were the only wires going into the plug on the back of the dimmer that had 2 wires going to the same pin. They come on with the rest of the interior lights

One question did the LEDS dim with the interior lights that would be great.

Mirge yeah their all made in hong kong alot of the guys order from guys like that dont worry bout shipping info on the ebay site they sometimes dont post it there thats alot of projects with 200 leds but you cant beat that price whats the sellers name. I actuallly found someone right here in my neighborhood thats an led seller on ebay but most likely gets his stuff from the same place...did the resistors come with the leds

Mirge yeah their all made in hong kong alot of the guys order from guys like that dont worry bout shipping info on the ebay site they sometimes dont post it there thats alot of projects with 200 leds but you cant beat that price whats the sellers name. I actuallly found someone right here in my neighborhood thats an led seller on ebay but most likely gets his stuff from the same place...did the resistors come with the leds

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370321549014&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Saved me a considerable amount of money... 500 LED's for under $20, can't beat that...... or at least I couldn't LOL. Especially Radioshack... $1.00+ per LED sometimes... for comparable product.

No, they do not.
Your dashboard lights dim, the interior lights do not. My LED's are wired to the interior light circuit so they come on when doors are opened or I turn on the interior lights. You could back probe the dimmer switch with a testlight and find the wire you want to tap into if you want them to dim with the dash lights.

yeah mirge you cant beat that price yeah i just wanted to experiment before i bought bulk

pos thats right even so i think ill be changing mine when it gets warmer out and i can stay outside for more than 10 mins at a time...

Back