2003 Aviator. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2003 Aviator.

Joe Dirt

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
07 Camry
Ok, I looked, and I didn't see an Aviator tagged forum. Would it fit in here? I may be looking at a 2003 Aviator, and wondered if anyone has an Avi, and what their impressions are. They're a little different than the 3rd Gen Ex... Better truck- 2003/4 Ex/Mounty, or a 2003/4 Aviator?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes I have one :thumbsup::D:p:

It has everything;
HID's
Moonroof
DVD player
Factory nav
Heated and cooled seats
second row buckets
chrome 17" wheels.
Advancetrac.
Side curtain airbags
7000lb towing rating :D;)

I think they introduced RSC in late 04 (Roll Stability Control).

There are some things a 'Luxury' SUV should have but the Avi doesn't.
Heated steering wheel
power lift gate
power fold down 3rd seat

The ride has a more European feel. much tighter yet still compliant. The glass is thicker and the pillars are filled with foam so it's quieter inside and I LOVE the speed sensative audio.

Wife is driving it this week but I'll try to get youa few pics.

It'll get to 100mph in a hurry (ask the Montana State Patrol):rolleyes:

Are there similar trans/bearing, etc. issues like the Ex's have, or are they running some different components?

Pics would be cool, the usual ad pics don't do much for me to see the functional aspect in design difference... Much appreciated!

Mine had 58k on it when I bought it, now it has 93k in about 2.5 years

It does have the rear diff 'whine' but not too bad. I use it as my cruise control, otherwise you could easily exceed the speed limit without realizing it.

The lower front ball joints have vertical play but not horizontal.

When I was researching them, there were comments the coil packs start to have issues around 75K but Ford extednded the warranty on them, I don't remember how much longer though.

The suspension was re-engineered to 'tighten it up'

They were only built for 3 years and I think there are only about 250,000 units total. (kinda make me 'special' in a different way);)

Attachments

• IMG_2614-1.jpg
    IMG_2614-1.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 850
  • IMG_2615-1.jpg
    IMG_2615-1.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 850
  • IMG_2616-1.jpg
    IMG_2616-1.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 876

i droven a avi before, real nice car compare to my 02 xls, you compare there features, damn its sad, first time i drove tht i didnt even know how basic my explo was, but the only problem i can say about it, i think its smaller than a explorer, its weird, my dad pointed it out, but real nice car, and there fast!!

What's odd about that, is I've read that that the Avi is actually 4" longer and 4" wider larger than an Ex! I think the interior hides that, as the seats are larger, IMO, and the "finishing/sculpting" of the inside uses more space, at least compared to my 2003 4-door...

Joe, I too really love the Aviator's. I see you are seriously shopping for one. I'll like to get a '04 or '05. What are they going for, and what features do you like? I'm thinking about it and would love go for one sometime soon.

Joe, I too really love the Aviator's. I see you are seriously shopping for one. I'll like to get a '04 or '05. What are they going for, and what features do you like? I'm thinking about it and would love go for one sometime soon.

Put 'AdvanceTrac' at the top of the list. That would dictate AWD. Next would be the heated and cooled seats and then the stock navagation system. Everything else is personal preference, including the 2nd row buckets vs bench.

Yes I have one :thumbsup::D:p:

It has everything;
HID's
Moonroof
DVD player
Factory nav
Heated and cooled seats
second row buckets
chrome 17" wheels.
Advancetrac.
Side curtain airbags
7000lb towing rating :D;)

I think they introduced RSC in late 04 (Roll Stability Control).

There are some things a 'Luxury' SUV should have but the Avi doesn't.
Heated steering wheel
power lift gate
power fold down 3rd seat

The ride has a more European feel. much tighter yet still compliant. The glass is thicker and the pillars are filled with foam so it's quieter inside and I LOVE the speed sensative audio.

Wife is driving it this week but I'll try to get youa few pics.

It'll get to 100mph in a hurry (ask the Montana State Patrol):rolleyes:

Just FYI 3rd gens have that. Mine with the 6-CD changer did.

I'm still looking, I've narrowed down to either a 2001 EB V8, or a 2003/4 Avi. The Avi's seem to be going for $8-13k around the midwest, so I'm still shopping.

As for the missing stuff that Albino mentioned, I don't think I'd want the power liftgate, I'd get impatient waiting for it (like the power seat) and I'd wonder when either or both might fail. I do like the heated wheel idea, but I've never had one, so I have no idea what I'm missing anyway. :)

I for sure want AdvanceTrac, and the RSC would be nice. I am undecided on the rear DVD after talking to some people. The sight lines are compromised, but, um- my boy is 5. 5-year-olds can make a lot of noise... :D

I am undecided on the rear DVD after talking to some people. The sight lines are compromised, but, um- my boy is 5. 5-year-olds can make a lot of noise... :D

NINTENDO :rolleyes::(:mad:

I am undecided on the rear DVD after talking to some people. The sight lines are compromised, but, um- my boy is 5. 5-year-olds can make a lot of noise... :D

they should come with their own headphones and the radio should have Dual on it, so that the kids can watch Scooby, while we play the radio/cd on the front speakers. I find that option priceless on long trips.

Don't forget the Avi's v8 is DOHC 330hp, nice to say the least.

Thanks Guys. I still am very fond of the uniqueness of the Aviator and the Cobra engine. I just got the new annual auto issue of Consumer Reports magazine. I realize this is not a "Bible" but they listed the Aviator as one of the "Worst of the worst" (Much worse-than-average reliability). I have never heard nor read anything really bad about an Aviator other than it requires premium fuel. Any thoughts?

Hmm, guess I better knock on wood then.

Like I said above, I bought it with 58k and now it has 94K and all I have done is an alignment and oil changes. :thumbsup:

Interesting... I don't know anyone (talked to 4 family members and friends that have them now) that have had any major issues? The only thing I can think of, is if the Gen III Ex has x number of bad bearings and the Avi has x number of bad bearings, and the Lincoln owners are more **** about that stuff, maybe they show up as a higher percentage of problems/cars sold since there were a lot less Avi's sold? Weird...

Also- my boy doesn't really care too much about video games yet, and honestly- I think I like that... :) We can keep him occupied with DVD's of "How It's Made" which is awesome... :thumbsup:

I found a factory Windstar DVD roofmount unit at the junkyard, I may pull that out in case I can install it into something I buy at some point...

consumers report is good for bathroom reading. . .also just in-case the tp runs out. . .lol.

i don't know about those ratings, serveral years back they had the Ex and
Below Avg, which the Mountie was Avg. . .same truck. . .those numbers are skewed to say the least. . . .

I curious, do the 3rd Gen X's have a fully boxed frame?

I'd love to have an Aviator, but I have too many cars already. My sister needs a 3rd row seat vehicle, I wish I could get her one.

Take care of the trans, do the VB kit for it, EPC, and change the fluid.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do Aviator require premium fuel?
I was told they did, but I never checked before buying my EB yesterday.

Back