Help needed to open door. Inside and outside handles don't work. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help needed to open door. Inside and outside handles don't work.

JohnFox

Reaction score
City, State
From the Province of Alberta
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer XLT 4X4
I have a 94 XLT and the drivers side rear passenger door will not open. The inside door handle does not work and the outside door handle does not work as well. Removed the inner door panel, moved what I thought to be the door open rod but still cant open the door. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

trace that rod to the latch mechanism and make sure it is connected correctly. Also try reaching back and moving the rod that attaches it to the outside latch, or turning where it is supposed to be attached. My wife has my truck at the moment and I just happen to have a door panel off the rear door, so if you are still having trouble I will have a look at it and take some pictures till we can figure out what is going on with your door.

I was able to get the door open. The outside door handle rod is disconnected from the latch. It looks like a white plastic peice is broken where the rod should be connected. Is there a plastic peice replacement or would I have to replace the whole latch. As for the inside handle, I can't see behind to see what is going on. The rod is connected to the handle and when I assist the rod manually and pull on the door lever, it will engage the opening mechanism to open the door. Is there a way to slide the rod ahead. Any pictures you have would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for the reply FIND.

make sure the child safety lock is not engaged, that may be your inside handle problem.

There are replacement clips available at the parts store. They are usually sold as universal kits.

make sure the child safety lock is not engaged, that may be your inside handle problem.

I had this very problem on the inside not opening.

1. Get in truck
2. Furiously kick door outward

Lol! Thanks Slowly, but I was able to get the door open by removing the door panel and manually opening it saving myself an expensive repair.

Thanks everyone for the hints, tips, and ideas. You have been a great help. Cheers!

Back