6 or 8 bolt flywheel?

cthudak

Reaction score
City, State
seattle wa
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT
Hi,
I have a 1997 Ranger XLT 5 spd ...Does any one know a way (short of removing the transmission) to know which size flywheel I have. It appears they changed over to a 8 bolt flywheel sometime in 97?

Thanks in advance for the help..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bumping this old post as I have the same question and I see this one never got an answer. Even the thorough article on the 4L from Automotive Rebuilder seems to miss the reality that there was NOT a clear switch-over to the 8-bolt crank starting in model year 1997. In fact, there seem to be plenty of reports from the field indicating that early and mid-97 vehicles still got the 6-bolt crank.

So again I would echo the question.... Is there any way to ID an engine with the 8-bolt crank when access to the back of the engine is blocked (i.e. there's a transmission in the way)?

I want to say the miss information you are finding might pertain to the 4.0 sohc having 8 bolts (started in 97) where the 4.0 ohv had 6 bolts until 98 when they changed the heads. You should be able to find pictures on here of the difference between 95TM and 98TM heads.

I haven't seen a 97 ohv with an 8 bolt crank but it's possible I'd assume in late 97 or if an engine swap has been done.

@DPDISXR4Ti what is it you’re trying to do? Find a replacement flywheel in the junkyard?

why? So you are looking for a 95-97 OHV.... they are getting harder to find in running condition
The last year of the OHV was 2000
from 98-00 they had the 8 bolt crankshaft

in 98 the OHV received the 8 bolt crank and flexplate/flywheel because the new SOHC engine and OHV share the same flywheel/flexplate and transmission
You can easily adapt an 8 bolt crank engine into your truck, just buy the correct flywheel
The really nice part about this is the 8 bolt flywheel accepts a larger clutch, larger clutch = better grip.

I routinely install 8 bolt crank OHV's into the older trucks using either the 8 bolt flexplate for auto's or the 8 bolt flywheel for sticks and then use a 2004 Ranger edge clutch

I routinely install 8 bolt crank OHV's into the older trucks using either the 8 bolt flexplate for auto's or the 8 bolt flywheel for sticks and then use a 2004 Ranger edge clutch
I bet none of them went into a Scorpio with a T-9 transmission behind them. :)

That is correct!

However what is the difference as far as the trans is concerned?
If that trans bolts to a 1995 4.0 then it will bolt to a 96-2000 4.0
I have converted a few 2.9 ranger based vehicles to a 4.0, the 2.6/2.8/2.9/4.0 all can share transmissions (as far as I know) toyo kogo, mitsubishi, mazda 5 speed, c4/c5 auto, a4ld, 4r55e and 5r55e can all bolt up

Once you have the 8 bolt flywheel you can easily use the larger clutch or you can drill and tap 6 holes in it to use your old 2.9/4.0 10" clutch

Sounds like a sweet project! Not many Scorpio's still around

I'm pretty sure the Cologne 6-bolt flywheel from the Scorpio is not the same as the Ranger one. Worth verifying. Regardless, the T-9 uses a 23-spline input shaft which I don't think we'll find a clutch for other than the 10".

interesting! You are probably right...... I never got to mess with any of the 2.9 and 4.0 cars or RWD transmissions for that matter! Would be interesting to compare the flywheels

This thread got me to dig a little deeper and I've found that the Scorpio clutch is 9.5" while the Ranger 2.9 clutch is only 8.875". I'm not sure if the Scorpio flywheel is any heavier than the 2.9 Ranger - I'm guessing it might very well be - but it's certainly got a different bolt/pin pattern.

So in short, I believe I should be fine with the 2.9 Scorpio flywheel/clutch/starter behind the 4.0L OHV from a pre-'98 Aerostar or Ranger.

Hi,
I have a 1997 Ranger XLT 5 spd ...Does any one know a way (short of removing the transmission) to know which size flywheel I have. It appears they changed over to a 8 bolt flywheel sometime in 97?

Thanks in advance for the help..
It is a six bolt pattern and there is a alignment dowel hole which really is seven , just remember to retorque your flywheel bolts

The T9 is a marginal at best transmission behind the smaller 2.9 engine. I'm curious why not swap in a T5 with the engine? Does the 95-97 4.0L block have the passenger side motor mount holes in the correct spot? My 91 block does not.

The T9 is a marginal at best transmission behind the smaller 2.9 engine. I'm curious why not swap in a T5 with the engine? Does the 95-97 4.0L block have the passenger side motor mount holes in the correct spot? My 91 block does not.
The V6 version of the T-9 found in the Scorpio is the strongest version made. That doesn't make it a great transmission by any extent, but it makes it acceptable under normal usage. The one that it in the car now is a recently rebuilt unit (by the previous owner), and, even though they're rare in the U.S., I happen to have a spare.

I've moved more towards thinking that a '93/4 engine is the best solution, all things considered. The passenger side should be fine, it's the driver side (LHD) that is missing the two rear mounting bosses. I think it will be easy enough to come up with a solution there, perhaps using the Ranger motor mount bracket in some way.

The V6 version of the T-9 found in the Scorpio is the strongest version made. That doesn't make it a great transmission by any extent, but it makes it acceptable under normal usage. The one that it in the car now is a recently rebuilt unit (by the previous owner), and, even though they're rare in the U.S., I happen to have a spare.

I've moved more towards thinking that a '93/4 engine is the best solution, all things considered. The passenger side should be fine, it's the driver side (LHD) that is missing the two rear mounting bosses. I think it will be easy enough to come up with a solution there, perhaps using the Ranger motor mount bracket in some way.
I'm probably backwards on which side of the engine the mounting holes are missing, I bought a set of heavy duty mounts and only 1 side bolted up to my block so I put that project on hold. The T9 isn't a bad transmission, the gear ratios are better suited for the 2.9 than 4.0.

The T9 isn't a bad transmission, the gear ratios are better suited for the 2.9 than 4.0.
Inadvertently I'm somewhat prepared for more torque. Factory rear-end is 3.64 but I've got a 3.36 in there now. It's lacking in grunt out of the hole with the 2.9, so the 4.0 might make a welcome match to the tall rear-end gearing.

Inadvertently I'm somewhat prepared for more torque. Factory rear-end is 3.64 but I've got a 3.36 in there now. It's lacking in grunt out of the hole with the 2.9, so the 4.0 might make a welcome match to the tall rear-end gearing.
The scorpio with a manual was rare, I've only seen a few for sale over the years. How did you come by the 3.36 gear?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back