2nd Gen Rock Sliders | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2nd Gen Rock Sliders

True low budget does affect things and mine has dwindled greatly with this wedding with buying our place and things, but for a good reason and I am excited and thanks for the congrats! Yeah, the sliders will be great, I wanted the option of taking them off so I am doing them this way. Will be about $250-$300 by the time that I am done, maybe more you know how projects go always about double what you planned on :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

^ Ya I know what ya meen, part of the reasen I havnt really started alot with my X because im on a really tight budget atm lol. Shoot just to get tires I have to buy 2 at a time, bought 2 last thursday and going back in next thursday for the other 2. WHy cant money grow on trees?

Dont know? I wish that I could get lucky and find one of those trees!!! They must exist somehow with how much money some people in the world have. Sorry no pics yet I am moving right now into my new house of me and the soon to be wife so everything in all over the place.

Ay no big deal man, very understandable! Whats the New miss think of your "toy" lol?

Luckily she likes it and likes wheelin a lot actually. She is fine with spending money on as long as there is a purpose and we have the money which is fine with me :) She loves to ride the sport quads to :)

Sounds like you got a keeper lol

Haha, just like everyone else this project has stopped for awhile. With getting married and work being tough being in construction having to travel and stay out of town for work its been rough. So yeah still have it all and I have got the front diff back in my truck so it rolling again so hope to start back up on them here soon hard to when its 110* here in southern Utah

Tell the wife to help you get them installed. This way, you will have "Time" to get them on, because she will be with you working on it, not you being with her doing other things. :)

1/4" steel has got to be heavy. Mine are 3/16" and heavy. A body lift makes it so much easier to install slider brackets. You might want to do that first, if you plan on ever doing it.

Have seen this?
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=245321

Yes have seen that thanks, and yeah heavy but shouldn't be to horrible to lift up. And Yes I know what you mean with the brackets being easier with the body lift but not thinking I want to do that the truck still stays same height where I rub sometimes so, but little trims and I think that I have my mounting spots and should work Fingers Crossed

they are sweet =]

Haha, so I am starting again on the rock sliders and will be finishing them up here in the next few weeks I will have Mondays to work on them. I didn't realize how long it has been since I started these sliders. Over a year, guess that how most of our projects go though.

Here are the pics from what I did on Monday! :) I have five of the six mounts made. One in the middle on the drivers side I have to take down the T-Case skid plate and do a little bit to get it to work, so I'll do that next time :) I went for major penetration instead of the prettiest welds. I got it to. It was all the big 240V Miller Mig had! :)

Front Drivers mount. I is bolted on top and bottom because of the torsion bars.
0315001359.jpg

Outside of the same mount, it looks like it is touching the body but it isn't is about 3/16 away from the body. Made sure that none where touching the body or would touch the body.
0315001359b.jpg

Middle mount on the passenger side!
0315001505.jpg

Angled the middle steel so I could for sure get wicked deep penetration you can see the heat marks even from the tac welds! :) I welded them fully off the truck I try to avoid welding on the truck makes me nervous with the computers. Battery is disconnected of course. Still makes me nervous though.
0315001506a.jpg

This is the middle mount on pass side on and welded. I rounded the bottom of the plates so that if a rock does rub there at least it doesn't dig into it.
0315001631.jpg

See the welds aren't I guess the prettiest but they are not going anywhere for sure! :) See barely don't have to move the T-Case skid plate on this side.
0315001632a.jpg

All the "C" Mounts are so tight and perfect that I have to bump them to get them to slide over the frame:) There is NO play in it which is what I want. When you slid the top bolts through they rub on the frame so it is fully surrounding the frame with no way to move :)
0315001633.jpg

This is the back mount on the passenger side BTW.
0315001633a.jpg

It turned out great I am excited to get them done and finished and have them Powder Coated :) Neighbor owns a powder coating shop! Anyways that's what I did on Monday five mounts done :)

Looks good. I sometimes think I should have made mine bolt on, but it looked like a PIA, so I welded mine.

It kinda has been a PITA, but will be worth it. Yeah I followed your slider build chad. It will turn out good wish I had a garage to do it in so I could spend more time and get them done but o well, will be done shortly!

Any update on these?

Your bolt on brackets look exactly like 2 others I have seen. :D

you may need to cut the bolts shorter on the driver side rear mount to keep them out of the gas tank. try to keep at least 1/4" between the bolt end and tank wall. The frame may flex enough to cause a leak--idunno.

Also, on the passenger side there is a shield in the way but it is plastic and can easily be trimmed to fit the bolts.

Looking good so far. Real good.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Any update on these?

Been busy having to work out of town. And we are in the process of buying our first house so the sliders have been far to slow!

And Turdle you are exactly right. I copied the designs of the first ones made, I did ask MountaineerGreen and he said it was cool. :) Cant improve on the great design! The bolts for the tank have been cut to length and they just go through to the end of the nut so the length is perfect and should have plenty of room. That plastic shield on the passenger side, I just used a saw's all blade in my hand with a glove on to cut and it went really quick.

Thanks they should turn out great!

Back