• Register Today It's free!

5.0L Cold Air Intake

fhsredcats06

Reaction score
City, State
Fresno, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XLT
Has anybody found an aftermarket Cold Air Intake kit for the 5.0L that is legal in California? I have a '99 5.0L AWD. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Another vote for MAC. It's the best bang for your buck. Good luck finding one though. They've become quite rare. Last I saw, James Henson had 3 left (click here) but a lot of people have asked about them so he may be pretty low on them. MAC lists them on their site but I've heard it takes a LONG time to get one. Explorer Express also lists them but they don't carry 1/2 of what they have on their site normally.

I ordered a MAC Performance Air Induction System for 97-01 Explorer/Mountaineer 5.0 Part No. 3659 on Monday, April 5. The cost was $182 including shipping. It is scheduled for delivery Thursday, April 8. Not sure why everyone thinks it takes a long time to get one. I suppose it could help that their shipping facility is only about a 4 hour drive from my home.

I ordered a MAC Performance Air Induction System for 97-01 Explorer/Mountaineer 5.0 Part No. 3659 on Monday, April 5. The cost was $182 including shipping. It is scheduled for delivery Thursday, April 8. Not sure why everyone thinks it takes a long time to get one. I suppose it could help that their shipping facility is only about a 4 hour drive from my home.

They are quite often out of stock. Consider yourself lucky. Lots of people have had issues with MAC's customer service in the past, especially related to these 5.0 kits.

They are quite often out of stock. Consider yourself lucky. Lots of people have had issues with MAC's customer service in the past, especially related to these 5.0 kits.

http://www.macperformance.com makes them per order, not usually in stock for our year explorers. Only takes a week at most to make. Mine took a week along with my exhaust they also had to make.

http://www.macperformance.com makes them per order, not usually in stock for our year explorers. Only takes a week at most to make. Mine took a week along with my exhaust they also had to make.

AGREED

But not everyone gets them in a timeframe that is acceptable. There are plenty of bad customer service stories in the archives and many of those relate to recent experiences. I think it was last summer where several forum regulars were left in the lurch having paid for their intakes, only to have it takes weeks to get them, emails that weren't being returned, phone numbers that rang and rang etc.

Maybe MAC got their sh*t together which is good to hear. Their intake setups are great. Better made than K&N (IMHO) and cheaper too.

My kit came from EE in relatively short time frame last fall.

I've only purchased from EE twice before. Both times were for their swaybars and my experience was fine. I had tried to get info on other products from them in the past and never hear back. I've tried calling and got no answer. Also, a lot of the products they list on their site aren't available anymore (especially the body related parts). EE doesn't do a great job of updating their site at all.

If you go back several years you'll see that EE was a regular force on this site. One of the Vanik brothers used to hang out on here and give lots of great service and support. Word is, he got muscled out by his brother and with that, service hit rock bottom for a while. Maybe it's better now, but they strike me as a pretty dysfunctional vendor.

AGREED

But not everyone gets them in a timeframe that is acceptable. There are plenty of bad customer service stories in the archives and many of those relate to recent experiences. I think it was last summer where several forum regulars were left in the lurch having paid for their intakes, only to have it takes weeks to get them, emails that weren't being returned, phone numbers that rang and rang etc.

Maybe MAC got their sh*t together which is good to hear. Their intake setups are great. Better made than K&N (IMHO) and cheaper too.

I've only purchased from EE twice before. Both times were for their swaybars and my experience was fine. I had tried to get info on other products from them in the past and never hear back. I've tried calling and got no answer. Also, a lot of the products they list on their site aren't available anymore (especially the body related parts). EE doesn't do a great job of updating their site at all.

If you go back several years you'll see that EE was a regular force on this site. One of the Vanek brothers used to hang out on here and give lots of great service and support. Word is, he got muscled out by his brother and with that, service hit rock bottom for a while. Maybe it's better now, but they strike me a pretty dysfunctional vendor.

I got mine 3 weeks ago, so this is recent. Maybe they are working on there CS. I can only speak that I had no problems and were told none of what I wanted (intake and cat-back) was in stock and would have to be made. Was told it would take a week to make and a week for delivery. Everything came as promised on time.

I got mine 3 weeks ago, so this is recent. Maybe they are working on there CS. I can only speak that I had no problems and were told none of what I wanted (intake and cat-back) was in stock and would have to be made. Was told it would take a week to make and a week for delivery. Everything came as promised on time.

That's good to know. I like these intakes and people ask about them often. While my 5.0 air intake is very unique (hybrid of a MAC and Volant with a little C&L thrown in), I think these kits are the way to go. Not that we have a lot of choices for the 5.0 (K&N doesn't do one. Airmax is the only other brand I know of outside of the el cheapo eBay kits).

That's good to know. I like these intakes and people ask about them often. While my 5.0 air intake is very unique (hybrid of a MAC and Volant with a little C&L thrown in), I think these kits are the way to go. Not that we have a lot of choices for the 5.0 (K&N doesn't do one. Airmax is the only other brand I know of outside of the el cheapo eBay kits).

is the airmax bigger and/or better?

is the airmax bigger and/or better?

To me, they all work the same (form home builds to pre-built kits). Define "better". Just don't skimp on filter.

To me, they all work the same (form home builds to pre-built kits). Define "better". Just don't skimp on filter.

i thought you said the mac intake was better? if so, how.

If one was bigger Id assume it may be possible better induction. thats why i was asking to be sure.

If one was bigger Id assume it may be possible better induction. thats why i was asking to be sure.

Bottom line is the MAC is a well made unit. I recently installed one and can verify this. The best part that I noticed is how much it woke up the motor. The motor felt like it had better throttle response and was a much more pleasing to step into the gas from an audible standpoint. Then a few days later I put on the MAC cat-back exhaust and it made the 5.0L even more pleasurable to drive. And again the quality of the cat-back was very good in my opinion.

Bottom line is the MAC is a well made unit. I recently installed one and can verify this. The best part that I noticed is how much it woke up the motor. The motor felt like it had better throttle response and was a much more pleasing to step into the gas from an audible standpoint. Then a few days later I put on the MAC cat-back exhaust and it made the 5.0L even more pleasurable to drive. And again the quality of the cat-back was very good in my opinion.

yeah thats what im getting ready to do. that and the tmh. thats why im tossing this around to see if one is noticeably better than the other.

The MAC is cheaper and does the exact thing the Airmax does. All you get is a so called "heat shield" with the Airmax and the "Tornado" thingy in the intake tube. Gimmicky if you ask me.

MAC is better bang for the buck, IMHO. As before, all the intake kits pretty much work the same, including home jobs. Consider making your own. Many people have before with great success.

The MAC is cheaper and does the exact thing the Airmax does. All you get is a so called "heat shield" with the Airmax and the "Tornado" thingy in the intake tube. Gimmicky if you ask me.

MAC is better bang for the buck, IMHO. As before, all the intake kits pretty much work the same, including home jobs. Consider making your own. Many people have before with great success.

thanks. ill prolly go with the mac.

For my '97 5.0, there is a K&N.

57-2513-1.jpg

K&N 57-2513-1 Fuel Injection Performance Kit Air Intake Kit
Other products by K&N
No customer reviews yet. Be the first.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
List Price: $261.67

Product Features
Reduces intake restriction while smoothing and straightening air flow
More usable power and acceleration throughout the engine's RPM range
Easy to install using tools commonly available
Most are street legal in all 50 states
Filters are washable and reusable and are backed by a 10 year/million mile limited warranty

K&N Fuel Injection Performance Kits (FIPK®) contain a high flow K&N air filter with uniquely designed adapters. This creates a radius entry allowing the engine to ingest air with less restriction compared to the factory intake system. FIPK's are street legal in all 50 US states and come with a Million Mile Limited Warranty. K&N air intake systems replace your vehicle's restrictive factory air filter and air intake housing. K&N intakes are designed to dramatically reduce intake restriction as they smooth and straighten air flow. More air means more usable power and acceleration for your car or truck. The filters on these kits are washable and reusable. Most of our intake kits are relatively easy to install using tools commonly available (see installation instructions).

Part 57-2513-1 Product Specifications
Product Style: 57 Series FIPK
Type: Gen I
Replacement Filter: RF-1014
Street Legal In All States: Yes
TUV Approved (Europe): No
Weight: 5.5 lb (2.5 kg)
Product Box Length: 15.13 in (384 mm)
Product Box Width: 9.13 in (232 mm)
Product Box Height: 9.25 in (235 mm)

K&N 57-2513-1 Inventory Status
USA: In stock
United Kingdom: In stock

K&N Applications for 57-2513-1
Performance Intake Kit
Product Information and Specifications for K&N Part 57-2513-1

1997 MERCURY MOUNTAINEER 5.0L V8 F/I - w/Round Filter Street Legal In All States: Yes
CARB EO Number: D-269-12 TUV Approved (Europe): No

1997 FORD RANGER 4.0L V6 F/I - w/Round Filter Street Legal In All States: Yes

1997 FORD EXPLORER 5.0L V8 F/I - w/Round Filter Street Legal In All States: Yes

1997 FORD EXPLORER 4.0L V6 F/I - OHV Street Legal In All States: Yes

1996 FORD RANGER 4.0L V6 F/I - All Street Legal In All States: Yes

1996 FORD EXPLORER 5.0L V8 F/I - All Street Legal In All States: Yes

1996 FORD EXPLORER 4.0L V6 F/I - All Street Legal In All States: Yes

1995 FORD RANGER 4.0L V6 F/I - All Street Legal In All States: Yes

1995 FORD EXPLORER 4.0L V6 F/I - All Street Legal In All States: Yes

K&N manufactures performance air filters and air intakes for automotive & motorcycle applications around the globe.

$260+ list for a filter and a few pieces of hardware and some gaskets? What a rip off so typical of K&N. At least with MAC you get new intake tube and a more sturdy and robust mounting system. $80+ less to boot. I don't really care for K&N filters myself. Too oily out of the box (I have 2 of them in the garage).

You're better off rigging up your own intake with an Amsoil Ea (oil-less) filter and saving a LOT of coin in the process. They all perform the same.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If price is the concern, you're better off leaving your truck stock.

Back