• Register Today It's free!

Mounting sliders

Mounty 09

Reaction score
City, State
Nothern IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Mountaineer
I am looking to do some sliders this summer and am trying to think of a good way to mount them up. First off I plan on using these sliders as they are cheap and should would pretty well.
http://www.trail-gear.com/rock-sliders

I am trying to think of a good way to mount them. I would like just to weld them to the frame but I also would like to take them off about once a year to put a new coat of paint/what ever on them. So I was thinking what if I welded a mount onto the frame and have the rest of the slider bolt to it. Any Ideas? I was thinking of welding a tube that the od is just a bit smaller than the id of the slider to the frame(with proper gussets), then having a few bolts. The only problem with this is I am worried about slop. I don't want the sliders to be moving all the time and I want them to be sturdy without sacrificing strength. I would do what every body else has done about mounting them but I don't have access to that many tools and thought if I could refine this idea it wouldn't take as much time to make.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just look at some of the sliders build in this forum. There are seeral people who built bolt on sliders.

Just look at some of the sliders build in this forum. There are seeral people who built bolt on sliders.

The thing with all of the other builds is that they bolt around the frame. I am looking to weld something to the frame and then bolt the sliders to that mount welded to the frame. I think this will be a lot less fab work and will require less tools.

I used 6x6x.25" plates welded to the frame, the sliders are then mounted with 2x2 box extending out from plates.

Mount 'em like a trailer hitch. weld two "receivers" on either side of the vehicle and use them to hold the sliders.

CodePoet do you have any pictures?

They work, I've laid the truck on these a number of times and they are fine.
frameattach.JPG

I cut out the rocker pannels since the stock ones rotted out.
DSC00210.JPG

Mount 'em like a trailer hitch. weld two "receivers" on either side of the vehicle and use them to hold the sliders.

i have thought about that idea, i cant seem to find a reason why it wouldnt work if the receiver and slider mount arm overlapped a good amount. would you just put a hitch pin in to lock the sliders in place? if so wouldnt that leave some slop in the receiver?

Ya like wisekise said i want to do something like that but I don't the sliders to move around like a receiver does. Almost could put a bracket right above the mount and then having a bar/whatever welded to the slider and bolted to the bracket. to triangulate and keep them in place.

i have thought about that idea, i cant seem to find a reason why it wouldnt work if the receiver and slider mount arm overlapped a good amount. would you just put a hitch pin in to lock the sliders in place? if so wouldnt that leave some slop in the receiver?

There used to be a member here that sold them like that (Gloria), and I installed a set of them on ExplorerEB96's truck. They really don't rattle much at all and worked pretty dang well. Unfortunately, it seems that all the links for pix of those sliders are now inactive.

We used bolts, not hitch pins through the holes. The longer you make the receivers, the less wobble they will have.

All of the sliders I have made have either been directly welded to the frame, bolted to the frame. The removable slider idea is nice, but it's a pita, and once you use 'em and bend 'em a little, they don't remove so easily anymore.

Back