8" Skyjacker Lift for '92 Ranger on a '92 Ex??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

8" Skyjacker Lift for '92 Ranger on a '92 Ex???

minelson17

Reaction score
City, State
Keizer OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Ford Explorer XLS
Has anyone ever put on this lift, or tried to at least, on a 1991-1994 Explorer?

Suspension Lift Kit for a 1992 FORD RANGER SUPER
Part Number 138RHKS-A

Description
Suspension Lift Kit; 8 in. Lift; Incl. Fr Coil/Rr Leaf Springs; Hinge/Radius Arm Brkts; Pitman Arm; Rr UBolt Kit; Fr/Re Brake Lines; Sway Bar Link;
Contents
Part# Description Amount
138 8" COILS 83-97 RANGER/BROII 1 PR
138C COMP BOX, 8" 83-97 RANGER/B 1 BX
138RHS SYS BOX, 8" 83-97 RANGER 4W 1 BX
FR36S SOFTRIDE SPRG 6"REAR RANGER 2 EA

Got this straight from the Skyjacker website. What are the reasons you couldn't put this lift on a '92 Ex? It is made for 4.0 4x4 Ranger. I know many lift kits are interchangeable...well almost. The guys at Skyjacker weren't really detailed enough in thier answer, they basically said "because I said so"....any insight from the experts? Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

bump

would have to get driveshafts i bet ,
and what about the angles, the driveshafts would be at wild angles,

Well, planned on getting beefier drive shafts and u-joints anyway, because behind V-8 power and any extreme angle, those stocks wouldn't stand a chance off road.

I know you can change the angle of the rear axel so it can recieve the drive line at a better angle, but what about the front?

People have not installed that lift because the 5.5-inch gives enough room to fit 35s. Much bigger and the D-35 front axle will not last. So when larger tires are desired, the solid axle swap and custom lift is generally the prefered option with and Explorer.

the 8" skyjacker lift will settle to about 6" of actual lift anyway
the 8" ttb drop brackets are really pushing it, as you likely already know the drop brackets are the weakest portion of these lifts, thy can bent, crack, break, etc so with the added stress of big tires and off road 8" drop brackets are not preffered, this is why you dont see a ton of 8" lift kits, in fact Skyjacker was the only one I think... most TTB drop kits are 3-6" of lift... and again with a 6" coil you only need a 4" drop at the pivots
I am running 2" beam pivot drop brackets with a 6" coil and a spacer... we modified the beams to make this work, no weak drop brackets, still 6" of IFS lift and correct alignment geometry, the steering of course couls still use alot of help hahaha

even the good 6" lift kits will actually use a 4" drop bracket with a 6" coil and max out the 2.75 camber adjuster

steering with an 8" drop bracket kit is also wacked

The explorer 91-94 is identical to the Ranger 1984-1997 aside from the explorer only came with the D35 ttb, never had a dana 28 or the hybrid d28/35

the rear of a ranger is spring over the axle, the explorer is spring under the axle, so the rear ranger lift wont work with the explorer...unless you convert to spring over... converting to spring over gives you about 4.5 of lift in the back

Thanks for the feedback. Honestly I was just curious because you don't hear much about them on here, understandably so. My biggest concern is really just making sure I can fit the 35's under the 5.5 without rubbing once the lift settles. I don't really want to put any kind of body lift on, I don't care for the look of a body lift too much. I think running a little bit skinnier tire will help keep this from happening.

When I do go with the 5.5, is there anyway from keeping it from settling, or at least minimize it?

I have a 5.5 with 33s on my Sport. I believe that I could fit 35s without a body lift or trimming. But not all Exploreres arre the same.

I have a 5" lift and 35's on my BII, I could run 37's no problem but I have fiberglass fenders... SAWZALL is your friend

the Superlift 5.5 lift will not settle LOL those springs are so stiff it wont settle at all... way too stiff IMO

You may need to swap in new or less old junkyard rear springs. My stock ones (170,000 miles) had settled 3 to 4-inches. My junkyard replacements (80,000-miles) solved the problem.

5.5 lift f150 coil seats front and shackles in the rear.shouldn't need any trimming and will clear 35s all day.i haven't done the f150 yet or the shackles,just have 5.5 and clear 35s with no trimming with "easy" 4x4,but now with the jd arms it will hit under hard flex.im going to go to 36 or 37x14.50 so will be adding the extra lift soon.

5.5 with 35s, and i hacked a good bit of fender off to make em fit

I have a 93 explorer with the 8" skyjacker lift .I used the superlift super runner steering with the center link dropped 3 inches.The rear has a spring over,aal and shackels.
susan004.jpg

susan006.jpg

Wow that's quite a lift. What are the stats on that beast? Tires, gears, etc....how does she handle? Had any issues with the drive train?

Wow that's quite a lift. What are the stats on that beast? Tires, gears, etc....how does she handle? Had any issues with the drive train?

93 explorer with 8 inch skyjacker lift and 1inch and 1/4 spacers.With a 4 inch body lift.Spring over,aal and shackles in the rear.Super runner steering with the center dropped 3 inches.5.13 gears and center force stage II clutch.I have put over 45000 miles on it since the lift a lot of them on the interstate.I have no problem running 75 mph with the ac on.I have a couple more pictures I will try to get on here later today.

looks sweet!!!
I bet you get alot of "WTF was that?" on the road...nice!!

Really does throw back to the 80's early 90's "Go big or go home" way of doing a lift. Looks swweeet :thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

how big are the tires?

Back