Do you need a ballast for projector fogs? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Do you need a ballast for projector fogs?

Hey all, I'm looking to pick a set of these off eBay this weekend. The seller was of little help, but I'm wondering if these are a clean swap out with the factory units. I know that projectors are made for HID lights, but can I just use them without a ballast? If the lights in there are specific to HIDs, can i just swap the bulb out with the factory one?

Thanks in advance.

They appear to be a direct replacement for the stockers.
IF you run the HID bulb you will need the correct ballast for them (and bulb).
IF you run stock bulbs you will not need the ballast (obviously).
Your stock foglight accepts the 9145 bulb, are theses housings the same?
If they are and you want to run HID's in there, you would have to find a set of bulbs that have the 9145 base so they will fit, then wire in the harness and ballasts.

Thanks mounty. I just noticed the seller had a number to call and they said that these are a direct replacement. You just use the wiring kit thats provided. N e problems and I'll come back and post.

Thanks mounty. I just noticed the seller had a number to call and they said that these are a direct replacement. You just use the wiring kit thats provided. N e problems and I'll come back and post.

Yes, you would use the wiring kit provided...to ADD HID's (and the ballasts) to the projector portion of the foglight.
If you are going to run the stock light bulb in them, you could use the existing wiring.

Back