Tony Raine's 84 Bronco II | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tony Raine's 84 Bronco II

August 17, 2009

Today I moved the BII into the carport to make it easier to work underneath. Backed it in with the towbar, hooked to my explorer. Once inside, I moved it back and forth (by hand) to get it closer to the edge, to make room for my wife’s car. I’ve always been amazed at how easy this thing is to roll around.

Still plenty of room for my wife to park her car (we’re getting some storms), and there is a lot more room on the driver’s side.

IMG_2394.jpg

IMG_2395.jpg

IMG_2393.jpg

IMG_2392.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

August 23, 2009

I had a very productive afternoon. I was determined to have the motor out. Both roll pins for the clutch line were rusted in, so I just unbolted the slave from the bellhousing. Pulling the motor was actually the easiest part of all this. This was the first time I have ever pulled a motor, and I used only hand tools and the hoist.

IMG_2433.jpg

IMG_2432.jpg

IMG_2431.jpg

IMG_2434.jpg

IMG_2435.jpg

IMG_2436.jpg

Stock motor sitting on my trailer with my “new” motor. Covered any open holes with cut up strips of an old (but clean) towel, and liberal amount of duct tape.

IMG_2437.jpg

IMG_2438.jpg

Covered in plastic and stored until I decide how much to sell it for

IMG_2441.jpg

Finally, I hauled the BII out into the back yard, since I don’t need the carport for now. Sprayed a bunch of oven cleaner (had some lying around) on all the grime, and hosed some of it off. Next I will soak it down with some Simple Green and power-wash it. After that I’ll start patching rust holes, modifying the firewall, and painting everything I clean up.

IMG_2442.jpg

I also may be changing gears with motor mounts. The stock ones do feel “spongy.” Debating going to some fox mounts if I can get them for a good price. But first I have to figure out how to get the stock ones off.

September 25, 2009

Bought some motor mounts for an 85 mustang ‘vert. $50 total from a local auto parts store.

October 16, 2009

Pulled it back into the carport for a little while. Installed my repaired front cab mounts, cleaned up the engine crossmember, and slapped a little paint on it (just to keep the rust away, it’ll get sanded down and painted black when the motor goes in).

IMG_2689.jpg

IMG_2690.jpg

Yeah, it’s a mess right now
IMG_2691.jpg

And back to the yard
IMG_2694.jpg

Dual sump oil pan arrived today. Hope to have it installed by this weekend.
IMG_2813.jpg

Ok, the summit/jegs pan was NOT the right one. Looked closer at the pan I got, and it’s made for the dipstick that runs through the block. This blows, mainly because I can only blame myself for not looking it over closer. And I can't find the invoice so I can send it back. $115 wasted..... I know that ad said “dipstick in pan” when I ordered, but now it doesn’t.

Might try to get the jegs pan to work by using the dipstick from the old pan. Cheaper than returning the pan, and spending an additional $100 for the right one (which I found for $200 online). My search for a used one is all dead-ends.

Not much of an update, but at least everything is easier to work on:
IMG_3097.jpg

Much better than sitting on a tire, on a trailer, in the cold.

Got everything somewhat organized:
IMG_3099.jpg

Had to give the hoist back, so for now I’m just going to do more prep work. Problem is, since the days are shorter, I am running out of daylight after work. The shed doesn’t have power, and 125’ of extension cord is throwing breakers. So it looks like my next investment is a dedicated underground line to the shed.

What's wrong with the dual sump that's on ground with the dip stick in it?

nice work!!! its alot easier with no front clip eh!

nice work!!! its alot easier with no front clip eh!

oh yeah, much easier! Still debating on making my own core support and inner fenders......

My wife ordered the Advance Adapters oil filter relocation kit for my birthday. I found a discount code online, and got it for $90 shipped. Not too bad.

Been doing little bits here and there, figured it was time for an update. Right now I’m in a “cleaning mode” since “purchase mode” is on hold for a little while.

Took the top cover off the trans so that I could clean the top cover separately. Also made a “lid” to go in place of the top cover so that the shifter wont get in the way when I test-fit the assembly
Photo0229.jpg

Photo0233.jpg

This little plastic piece is worn off. Can I get just these from somewhere? Or are they even important?
Photo0236.jpg

Close up of the 4x4 shifter, so I will remember how it goes back, haha
Photo0230.jpg

Photo0231.jpg

This bolt, that holds down the oil pickup tube, was stripped out when installed (just the end that holds the pickup tube. Not sure of the torque value of where it goes into the block, so I didn’t mess with it right now.
Photo0237.jpg

Put the fox pan on temporarily. Going to figure out where to put the dipstick when I test fit the motor, so it will come off again anyway. Also why I didn’t install the new pickup tube
Photo0238.jpg

Also took off the exhaust manifolds to make it easier to clean/paint the block. Going to engineer some covers for the exhaust ports so I don’t have to worry about junk getting inside while I work
Photo0239.jpg

Right now I am debating on what color to paint the block. I kinda like the pale “Old Ford Blue”

Been spending most of my wrench time on the parts rig and the brown BII, time to work on the ‘84 a little more. Took the rear hatch off of the gray parts rig (it has opening rear glass). Took the glass and weatherstripping out of it, gave it a light sand, and sprayed it with some satin black rattle can. I figure the whole rig will be rattle canned this color until I can get a decent paint job for it (nice paint comes last).

Old rear hatch
Photo0335.jpg

“New” rear hatch
Photo0334.jpg

The weather stripping for the window is dry and dirty, but crack-free. I’m going to scrub it in dish soap to get the funk off, then treat it with some Carmex (yeah, the lip balm). The brown BII also donated its (almost new) hatch struts, and it gets an older set instead.

Also started cleaning up the outside of the motor and painting it. Got one side done and had to see what it looked like in paint (old ford blue).
Photo0337.jpg

And finally, I picked up some 1” body lift pucks from Performance Accessories, some semi-gloss black Rustoleum enamel for under the hood (firewall, frame, inner fenders, etc….), and some other little things.

so when are you plannin on droppin the new motor in??

Also you said the Parts rig and the brown bronco II. Where did these come from? lol

so when are you plannin on droppin the new motor in??

Also you said the Parts rig and the brown bronco II. Where did these come from? lol

Well, I am 2 weeks away from finally graduating college. That has been taking up most of my time. I'll get the motor in eventually, haha

oh yeah, the other 2 BII's.....

drug home these 2. brown one was $200 and supposedly runs, the gray one was free with a locked up motor.

IMG_3128.jpg

IMG_3138.jpg

Photo0196.jpg

yah i gotcha with the college thing im out for the summer this thursday finally lol.

Thats cool that you have two more. Since the brown one runs are you doing stuff to it or just using it for parts also?

And i just wondered when the engine is going in because i have this gut feeling that im gonna blow mine this summer in the sand dunes and i would like to see how hard it is to get yours in, mostly with all the electrical crap. Because i hope to put a bigger engine in after the 2.9 goes out.

the brown one was destined to be chopped up until i found the gray one. now i'm shoving stock parts i have laying around into the brown one to try and make it run. if it runs, i'll sell it.

my v8 swap is a carb'd motor into a carb'd b2, so wiring is minimal.

the brown one was destined to be chopped up until i found the gray one. now i'm shoving stock parts i have laying around into the brown one to try and make it run. if it runs, i'll sell it.

my v8 swap is a carb'd motor into a carb'd b2, so wiring is minimal.

thats cool, whats wrong with the brown one?

And that definately makes for a better swap. Ours is fuel injected and their are so many crazy wire hookups. Its gonna be a nightmare.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the prev. owner of the brown one lost interest half-way through swapping the A4LD for a TK5. I sold the TK5 and swapped in an FM 146 from the gray one.

now I'm just wading through the wiring to try and get it to crank. I'm not in any kind of rush, since it serves as good dry storage for all the extra parts i'm accumulating.

i do want to finish getting the gray one stripped and scrapped soon. reason being, my significant other doesn't want any more rigs in the back yard, and something else has caught my eye.............

Back