Main timing chain - OHV vs SOHC | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Main timing chain - OHV vs SOHC

Looks like the rear jackshaft bolt.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

WHY DIDN'T FORD GO THIS ROUTE WITH THE 4.0l SOHC....CHAINS IN FRONT AND NO JACKSHAFT.....WHAT THE HELL WERE THEY THINKING?????

One timing chain is in the back on the 4.0L SOHC because they use identical heads on both sides. If you look at the back of the driver's side head under the intake assembly, you will see that it is fully machined and threaded for a thermostat housing, and is merely closed up with a freeze plug. Saves a bunch of money making it if you have only one line making one part, rather than side-specific castings.

One timing chain is in the back on the 4.0L SOHC because they use identical heads on both sides. If you look at the back of the driver's side head under the intake assembly, you will see that it is fully machined and threaded for a thermostat housing, and is merely closed up with a freeze plug. Saves a bunch of money making it if you have only one line making one part, rather than side-specific castings.

Interesting!

If you want to swap sides all you would have to do is remove the plug, clean up the threads and clean up the surface.

CJ

Left & right head differences

Interesting!

If you want to swap sides all you would have to do is remove the plug, clean up the threads and clean up the surface.

CJ

I believe the hole for the hydraulic tensioner would have to be drilled and tapped on the opposite side of the head.

i would to thanks the person for help me out with the pictures thank you very much maybe one day i do the timing chain but for now im going on vaction this summer with the girlfriend need to spent time with less with family and friend

I believe the hole for the hydraulic tensioner would have to be drilled and tapped on the opposite side of the head.[/QUO

YEP...Your right. I forgot about that.

CJ

i have a 1997 ford explorer 4.0 ohv v-6 vin x im thinking doing timing chain i have 150,000
what i need to do thank you any picture would help

i have a 1997 ford explorer 4.0 ohv v-6 vin x im thinking doing timing chain i have 150,000
what i need to do thank you any picture would help

......if you have the OHV then you should know by searching on here that the ohv's do not have this problem....but then again it seems like you don't know which engine your truck has since you been back and fourth in saying which motor you have....

Back