Damarble's 01 Sport, coil sprung HP D30 SAS, SOA, 33s, 4.56s, lockers | Page 10 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Damarble's 01 Sport, coil sprung HP D30 SAS, SOA, 33s, 4.56s, lockers

Just finished the rear axle today, SOA with Aussie locker and 4.56 gears. Rear springs are shot from towing and still need to be replaced. Also I need to weld shock mounts on the axle. This will all be done after the front axle is installed. It is a HP Dana 30 with gears and a locker to be added in a few months. Front suspension will be a Y-link with XJ coils and Ballistic brackets. Steering and panhard will be stock XJ for now. Tires are 33/12.5/15 Interco Truxus M/Ts on Soft 8 wheels with stock Ford center caps.

08-07-08_2019.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Can't really undo this now can I?

CIMG0138.jpg

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

lordy this will be something no one's seen

so u got a 3.9 turbo diesel engine in ur 01 sport u should post a sound clip of it or do a video of u starting it up

so u got a 3.9 turbo diesel engine in ur 01 sport u should post a sound clip of it or do a video of u starting it up

It's not in yet, just sitting on my garage floor waiting for the 4.0L to come out. There will definitely be videos once it's running!

sounds good

Oh baby! We're getting serious now!

CIMG0163.jpg

Just spent an hour reading the whole thread, awesome mods, gotta 99 sport as well and wanna do similar mods too, Congrats on the X looks BAD A$$. Is the 3.9L the cummins 4BT? are you going to use your current transmission and TC? (I dont really know how the Trans and Transfer thing works)

Look at all that room. You should have went with a 7.3L. :p:

Any updates?

Just spent an hour reading the whole thread, awesome mods, gotta 99 sport as well and wanna do similar mods too, Congrats on the X looks BAD A$$. Is the 3.9L the cummins 4BT? are you going to use your current transmission and TC? (I dont really know how the Trans and Transfer thing works)

Thanks for the compliments! I'm going with an Isuzu 4BD1T, it's a better all around motor than the 4BT in my estimation. Plus I can't stand the attitude and culture attached to Cummins products, worse than Jeep people. I don't really see any way to make the stock tranny and tcase work at this point. I'll likely use a NV4500 and NP241.

No updates, still cleaning up the frame and have another truck I'm working on that needs a motor replacement.

Thanks for the compliments! I'm going with an Isuzu 4BD1T, it's a better all around motor than the 4BT in my estimation. Plus I can't stand the attitude and culture attached to Cummins products, worse than Jeep people. I don't really see any way to make the stock tranny and tcase work at this point. I'll likely use a NV4500 and NP241.

No updates, still cleaning up the frame and have another truck I'm working on that needs a motor replacement.

cant wait to see the outcome of this build. i love my 02 but the tranny and motor dissappoint sometimes.

I purchased a NV4500 so one step closer! I wish a BW t-case would bolt up but I'm looking at a NP I guess.

Haha I wish. They cost even more than I gave for the tranny. Which btw I think I scored on, 100k unit for $550.

Hey Damarble, what you think your gas mileage will be at the end of the day with that 4 cyl TDI including the lift and mud tires?

Hey Damarble, what you think your gas mileage will be at the end of the day with that 4 cyl TDI including the lift and mud tires?

Sorry Diesel mileage :D

Realistically, I'd imagine about 22 city/27 hwy. I'm crossing my fingers for 25/30, guys are claiming 30+ with full size trucks.

Plus, you can run (filtered) ATF, engine oil, cooking oil, etc. etc. :D

That would be sweet if you get that puppy running on biodiesel then you will be really treading lightly.

I've been following you and you are doing exactly what I want to do with my 01 Black Sport. WTF!?!!!

This is awesome.

What does that Isuzu diesel come in?

Hey no copying! The motor is in 86-91 Isuzu NPR boxtrucks. Older ones are non-turbo so not so good. 92 and up aren't as desireable for different reasons.

Progress has been slow,but I have gotten my NV4500 tranny and NP231 transfer case, as well as all the parts to make the tranny adapter. Waiting on the machine shop to finish my bellhousing modifying.

Back