Russ's (99ex22) 4406 Swap Thread | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Russ's (99ex22) 4406 Swap Thread

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here are a few progress pictures from last night. We started at 7pm and called it quits at 2am haha

Everything together..
picture.php

Console out...
picture.php

Drive shafts out...

picture.php

AWD case out...

picture.php

4406 in...

picture.php

picture.php

Linkage installed...

picture.php

picture.php

Ill put the console back in today and try to figure out whats going on with my front shaft (too long)

Now that I looked at the picture of the front and rear driveshafts together it looks like they're almost the same length.... That isn't right is it? They said it it was out of a 4.6....

Any bright ideas for my front shaft? All the shops around here want 100 big ones...

Actually, if you look at post # 201 of the mountaineergreen thread, "nobodyspecial" has a pic of front/rear shafts together and they look like what you have. Link below to his pic:
http://i333.photobucket.com/albums/m362/7point62/Mountaineer/S1052681-Copy.jpg

I don't recall if they were that close to the same length. I can measure them for you tomorrow if you want...
Ask the junkyard you got it from if they gave you the right one, or if they will take it back.

Never mind I got it in:D We took the shaft apart and there was a ton of dirt and old grease in it preventing it from compressing a little more. We also had to take out the rubber seal to get it on so its completely compressed which I don't think is very good? When I have the $$$ Ill have a shaft made or get another and have it shortened. I'm just happy I have a true 4x4 now!!! Here is some pics of the gunk....

picture.php

picture.php

100% completed....:D
picture.php

It shifts smoothly and I have no vibrations or noises exept for a slight whine in first gear...not sure if it was there before the swap or not.

I couldn't be happier with the 4406! I recommend for everyone with the 5.0 and awd to do this! It's well worth the effort.

rubber seal? the one in the differential? or is it on the shaft?

rubber seal? the one in the differential? or is it on the shaft?

It was on the shaft.... I'm not concerned about that, I'm just concerned about the shaft being fully compressed so there is no play. Then again there doesn't have to be play in the shaft because our front diffs don't move right?

correct, still are you sure its not the slip yoke seal...all im saying is it may cause premature wear to the shaft

Tested her out today...
picture.php

I have more pictures in my registry, the link is in my signature!
This thing is a lot of fun in 4lo!

What happened to the front "board" bumper you had? What did you have to do to get the bumper to fit? Did you do the body lift to keep from "adjusting" the belly?
My awd t/c front output bearings are roaring and vibrating pretty good. Got a quote of $800 to rebuild it without even asking what kind I had in it. I think this would be an awesome project eventhough the ex rarely if ever goes offroad. It would be sweet if someone made lockout hubs to disengage the front end.

yeah they do, AVM makes hubs that are designed for 98-early 2000 rangers that had PVH style hubs, Pulse Vacuum, in early 2000 ford switched the ranger front end to the explorer style live axle front end. so you can swap the explorer's front wheel bearings and shafts for a 98-early 2000 ranger and swap the pvh guts for a set of AVM hubs and have an unlocked front end for true MPG results. :salute:
good job on the swap looks awesome and love your truck too looks good with the lift and tires with stock rims.

Back