• Register Today It's free!

Intermitent no start on a '95

jayman

Reaction score
City, State
wheat ridge co.
Year, Model & Trim Level
Hello,
Can anyone offer some advise or prior experience with this symptom please.
My daughter's '95 4.0 explorer will some times leave her stranded after driving some where. it will crank but not start. then after some time goes by it starts right up? she has had it towed because it wouldn't start after an hour and yet it has started up after a twenty minute wait. it is pretty random and very frustrating.
I imagine this must have happened to someone here before.
Thanks for any words of wisdom,
Jay

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mine was doing this as well. Turned out the coolant temp sensor was the issue. On your truck (and mine) there are 2 sensors. One is the sending unit to the gauge in the dash, the other one sends the temp reading to the computer. The one you need to replace is located just under the air intake where it meets up with the throttle body. Both sensors are in that area, but the one you need to replace is on the drivers side. Once you remove the intake hose it is not too hard to replace. Bought my replacement from rockauto. Also not a bad idea to replace the air intake temp sensor, which is on the intake hose between the throttle body and the air cleaner box.

Interesting. How does it prevent the engine from starting? Did you have any codes?

I did not have any codes. Basically if it is sending a reading that indicates a cold engine the air/fuel mixture will not be correct for an actual warmed engine. I caught mine early when the no start problem first began so I never got to the stall stage. One other idea is it could be fuel pressure issue, such as a bad fuel pressure regulator. But I would suggets the coolant temp sensor first.

I have had the very same symptoms. My fix was a relay. Good luck. Also, my problem included stalling.

I have had the very same symptoms. My fix was a relay. Good luck. Also, my problem included stalling.

Was that a fuel pump relay?

Any other ideas? I'm thinking maybe the crank position sensor is failing.

Sorry, yes it was the fuel pump relay. I believe there are 2 identical relays that could be swapped as an unscientific test of sorts.

You need to determine if the problem is fuel or spark. When you turn the key to the ON position, you should hear the fuel pump prime for about 2 seconds. If you don't hear that, then it's fuel related problem. Start by replacing the fuel pump relay located in the power distribution box. If you are getting fuel, then it could be spark related. The crankshaft sensor could be the problem.

You need to determine if the problem is fuel or spark. When you turn the key to the ON position, you should hear the fuel pump prime for about 2 seconds. If you don't hear that, then it's fuel related problem. Start by replacing the fuel pump relay located in the power distribution box. If you are getting fuel, then it could be spark related. The crankshaft sensor could be the problem.

Unfortunately I am never around when the darn thing does it. so I'll probably try throwing a crank pos sensor and a fp relay on it and go from there.

Thanks everybody,
Jay

I was getting ready to change my fuel pump and then during fuel pressure testing the darn thing fired right up. I did some more research and came across the possibility of the crank position sensor. I decided to replace it. It looked like a simple fix, but it was a pain to get a socket or wrench on it. The best discovery is when I realized how much built up grime was on it. I decided to wipe it off to see if it would the sensor to "sense" better. It worked. I haven't had a problem since. Hopefully a rag will fix your problem!

I was getting ready to change my fuel pump and then during fuel pressure testing the darn thing fired right up. I did some more research and came across the possibility of the crank position sensor. I decided to replace it. It looked like a simple fix, but it was a pain to get a socket or wrench on it. The best discovery is when I realized how much built up grime was on it. I decided to wipe it off to see if it would the sensor to "sense" better. It worked. I haven't had a problem since. Hopefully a rag will fix your problem!

Man! that would be nice. I hope that's it.

I had the same problem. Woke up this morning and the 1999 explorer won't start. Fuel pump works, battery has juice. Had the oil changed yesterday and they were in the area around the Crankshaft sensor checking the serpentine belt and pulley out. Maybe they bumped it. I jiggled it and finally got the engine to start.

Mine randomly fails to start usually when cold, but less often warm. Spray starting fluid in and starts right up. Temp sensor has been suggested. Tested OK but may replace it anyhow. Jayman, do you have a fix yet? If so, what was it? If not, try the starting fluid thing. Just shoot it in the air intake at the PCV vent boss. Easy enough for your daughter to do. My girlfriend does and now no tows.

Mine randomly fails to start usually when cold, but less often warm. Spray starting fluid in and starts right up. Temp sensor has been suggested. Tested OK but may replace it anyhow. Jayman, do you have a fix yet? If so, what was it? If not, try the starting fluid thing. Just shoot it in the air intake at the PCV vent boss. Easy enough for your daughter to do. My girlfriend does and now no tows.

No cure yet, She hasn't had it happen in a while so I have kinda put it on the back burner.
It sounds as if your situation is no fuel pump action with the switch in the cranking position.
I have not been around when my daughters wont start, but it may be the same? I think I'll show her how to do that. It will quickly answer the Question of No fuel or no spark?

Exactly. I definitly have spark. It has been suggested to me that the temp sensors should provide a richer mixture at start up. This is what my starting fluid does temporarily and then it keeps running after initial start. I haven't been able to test the fuel pump when the vehicle won't start but that could also be the problem.

Back